5/12 session

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
maraxus
Pro Angler

5/12 session

Post by maraxus »

Conditions were pretty nice so went for an afternoon session on Sunday. Salad was minimal so I tried soft plastics and luckycraft but there were no takers. Switched bait fishing with shrimp and got a short sand bass, a perch and bunch of leopard sharks.
perch.jpeg
sandBass.jpeg
leopard1.jpeg
leopard2.jpeg
cajunjacket
Angler

Re: 5/12 session

Post by cajunjacket »

Beautiful leopards.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

They are pretty fish...
Butch
Zhao
Pro Angler

Post by Zhao »

maraxus wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 am Conditions were pretty nice so went for an afternoon session on Sunday. Salad was minimal so I tried soft plastics and luckycraft but there were no takers. Switched bait fishing with shrimp and got a short sand bass, a perch and bunch of leopard sharks.

perch.jpeg

sandBass.jpeg

leopard1.jpeg

leopard2.jpeg
Sunday PM tide was kinda high. Were you able to get to the rocks when casting LC/plastics? I can't cast LC more than 30-40 yards...
Well done with the leopards! They fight hard all the way. Plenty fun to reel them in :D
maraxus
Pro Angler

Post by maraxus »

Zhao wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 am
maraxus wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 am Conditions were pretty nice so went for an afternoon session on Sunday. Salad was minimal so I tried soft plastics and luckycraft but there were no takers. Switched bait fishing with shrimp and got a short sand bass, a perch and bunch of leopard sharks.

perch.jpeg

sandBass.jpeg

leopard1.jpeg

leopard2.jpeg
Sunday PM tide was kinda high. Were you able to get to the rocks when casting LC/plastics? I can't cast LC more than 30-40 yards...
Well done with the leopards! They fight hard all the way. Plenty fun to reel them in :D
Yea, my casts didn't really go too far, probably explains the no luck on lures. Catching leopards is fun but I was really hoping I could get something that I can take home. Better luck next time I guess. And I will try to find a different rocky spot next time, this place was full of sharks, only photo'd 2 of them but I got 8 or 9 total.
cajunjacket
Angler

Post by cajunjacket »

Yeah, I have to try some new spots myself. My boys love going to Tamarack to play, so I get stuck fishing there, but the swell there is strange - has a weirdly strong, rip-like current that pulls everything out between waves. Not a fan of fishing there much.

I enjoy fishing Grandview/Ponto, but the beach is so rocky that the boys don't like playing there ...and I usually get stuck taking them out when I go fishing. Used to love fishing Beacons (north of it a bit), but beach access is closed there.

I'll probably start taking them to seaside/cardiff again. We stopped going there b/c the beach is full of tar the past few times we've been there, and it gets stuck to your feet and is a PITA to take off.
Zhao
Pro Angler

Post by Zhao »

maraxus wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:53 am
Zhao wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:29 am

perch.jpeg

sandBass.jpeg

leopard1.jpeg

leopard2.jpeg
Yea, my casts didn't really go too far, probably explains the no luck on lures. Catching leopards is fun but I was really hoping I could get something that I can take home. Better luck next time I guess. And I will try to find a different rocky spot next time, this place was full of sharks, only photo'd 2 of them but I got 8 or 9 total.
This year a lot of rock structures were filled with/buried by sand, probably related to the "Coast line Restoration project" that pumped mountains of sand to shore.

As a result, I also noticed change of fish species. I was at DM reefs on early Saturday morning and only got sharks.

On the brighter side, it is easier to wade in without worring slipping into deep gaps...
maraxus
Pro Angler

Post by maraxus »

cajunjacket wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:01 am Yeah, I have to try some new spots myself. My boys love going to Tamarack to play, so I get stuck fishing there, but the swell there is strange - has a weirdly strong, rip-like current that pulls everything out between waves. Not a fan of fishing there much.

I enjoy fishing Grandview/Ponto, but the beach is so rocky that the boys don't like playing there ...and I usually get stuck taking them out when I go fishing. Used to love fishing Beacons (north of it a bit), but beach access is closed there.

I'll probably start taking them to seaside/cardiff again. We stopped going there b/c the beach is full of tar the past few times we've been there, and it gets stuck to your feet and is a PITA to take off.
I usually try Swami's or moonlight state beach, occasionally cardiff but this season I'm not having much luck so far.
Zhao
Pro Angler

Post by Zhao »

Cardiff "should be" good spot given all the reefs, and last time I went I did get cabezon, calico and rock fish, etc. but the size was just lacking... Even the spotfin croaker I caught there was kinda small. Not sure what's the deal with that spot.
maraxus
Pro Angler

Post by maraxus »

Zhao wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:49 am Cardiff "should be" good spot given all the reefs, and last time I went I did get cabezon, calico and rock fish, etc. but the size was just lacking... Even the spotfin croaker I caught there was kinda small. Not sure what's the deal with that spot.
I think it's simply getting too much fishing pressure IMO. Last few times I've been there, the number of fishermen was quite high
Zhao
Pro Angler

Post by Zhao »

maraxus wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 am
Zhao wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:49 am Cardiff "should be" good spot given all the reefs, and last time I went I did get cabezon, calico and rock fish, etc. but the size was just lacking... Even the spotfin croaker I caught there was kinda small. Not sure what's the deal with that spot.
I think it's simply getting too much fishing pressure IMO. Last few times I've been there, the number of fishermen was quite high
That sucks. I was there a couple weeks ago and I was the only one fishing. Maybe I was lucky.