Mission Beach 6/14

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
Post Reply
User avatar
jwacky
Extreme Angler
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:19 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 365 times
Been thanked: 386 times

Mission Beach 6/14

Post by jwacky »

I see a PB post as well but I was a bit farther south than normal so I’ll start a true Mission Beach post.

Started just before 6:00 and finish just now around 9:15. Slow start to the morning before I finally caught a perch on a lugworm. As the tide came in, crab beds started to surface. Only the biggest had roe, but I was able to hook 3-4 little guys on at a time, ended up with 7 total perch on the day. Mostly small.

The highlight was my first SFC of the season, big ol’ guy. I’ll measure later but seems bigger than any I caught last season. It bit on a crab ball and put up a good fight.

I actually caught a second SFC as well, also pretty big, but it wriggled off the hook at my feet and made its way back to the ocean before I could pick it up to officially “catch” it. Call it a half a catch, ha.

Water fairly clean. On and off currents and a little wind. Overall enjoyable day after the slow start. Time for brunch as the beach fills up with people.
Attachments
IMG_5821.jpeg
User avatar
kastmaster
Extreme Angler
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2026 7:17 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 334 times

Re: Mission Beach 6/14

Post by kastmaster »

Congrats on the SFC and perch! Will the spotfin fit in that cooler? 😄
User avatar
jwacky
Extreme Angler
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:19 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 365 times
Been thanked: 386 times

Re: Mission Beach 6/14

Post by jwacky »

kastmaster wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2026 9:28 am Congrats on the SFC and perch! Will the spotfin fit in that cooler? 😄
Not really. Tail is folded over, haha. The smaller the cooler, the bigger the fish!! 😂
User avatar
Perch killer
Extreme Angler
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: Mission Beach 6/14

Post by Perch killer »

Nice going Joe ! Happy for you as I know you have put in a lot of time on the sand. Bummer on losing the 2nd at your feet :cry: Has happened to all of us ;)
User avatar
pseudoMoGil
Pro Angler
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2026 8:24 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 233 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Mission Beach 6/14

Post by pseudoMoGil »

Nice job on the SFCs!! Feels like the summer season is finally heating up!
- Zach
User avatar
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 1123
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 am
Location: La Mirada
Has thanked: 822 times
Been thanked: 634 times

Re: Mission Beach 6/14

Post by Midnightpass »

Joe! You guys down there are on a roll… Go back and get #3…
Butch
User avatar
crabman
Angler
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2025 5:17 pm
Location: Blue River CO
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 40 times
Contact:

Re: Mission Beach 6/14

Post by crabman »

Nice one J...that's a fatty! :)
User avatar
Mike M
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:07 pm
Location: Rancho Palos Verdes
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: Mission Beach 6/14

Post by Mike M »

That's a very nice fish and perfectly hooked too!
Mike A
Pro Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2025 12:30 pm
Location: Escondido
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: Mission Beach 6/14

Post by Mike A »

Nice going, guess I better get back to the beach
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest