Catching up

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Catching up

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Been a minute since I posted! Band stuff has kept me busy lately but I have still been out fishing my normal places - Cap and Otay are where I’ve spent the most time but also got a Hodges trip in.

Otay has been business as usual for my brother and I. Flyline plastics along the tile line and for me - flippin deeper in the tules has been getting some better quality bites. No frog bites yet but I’m gonna keep chuckin the frog early, those bites are coming. Lost an 8+ deep in the tules back on 6/16, made a good flip to a spot, hit the bottom and on the first pop I felt the hit, reeled up and made the home run hookset. Fish wrapped me up good - could see her thrashing around back in the tules and I was pushing back into the tules trying to get to her. Her mouth looked 9” across. Definitely the biggest bass I have ever knowingly had on the end of my line. I kept pressure on as I made my way back through the tules and then I felt a pop and the headshake stopped. I retrieved a bent out hook. Hook I had tied on was thicker than a standard wire hook but when I compared, it wasn’t a “flippin” extra heavy wire hook. Not sure how I had the tied on when I have the correct ones, but a tough lesson to learn. The rush of getting a giant fish on the line and the heartbreak of losing her.. but I know where she lives now and I’m going back to find her lol. With the right hook this time.

Cap is starting to pick up and the quality of fish up shallow is back to where it was before the spawn. Seen a lot of 2-3.5lb fish in the afternoons, almost all on plastics. Haven’t done a morning out there in awhile cause there’s a damn tournament every freaking Saturday down there it seems like. Evenings early in the week have been fun down there. Back on 6/17 I lost a 6+ pounder at the bank… was using 7# leader, fishing around rocks and my line was getting beat up. Tried to get her up to the bank to grab her and she made one last headshake and broke off..

Hodges was a blast this past Saturday. Only fished till 10 cause the heat got nasty fast once the cloud cover burned off. Very warm water. No reaction bite to speak of in the areas I fished - but the old reliable for Hodges - the jig was on the menu. Also had some success with a Sleeper Craw. Hodges is one of my favorite lakes. I feel confident I can go out there and power fish and get bit - to the extent I don’t even bring spinning gear with me. I don’t even know about bottom contour at that lake yet, I’ve been just targeting shallow cover and it has yet to let me down. I feel like the potential for a big big catch exists at that lake once I get myself more familiar with what’s on the bottom.

The big ones lost in back to back trips… it sucks but the silver lining is, those bites are happening for me. The next bite could be another opportunity to land one.

Anyway - a few pics. Tight Lines y’all.
C91A6183-5C09-4982-86CB-BF1D28DBE0CA.jpeg
1B5783B2-AB24-4E2C-A016-EFF4A93CACEB.jpeg
AD060E5C-3277-443F-ACD9-539E13E9639B.jpeg
B0E52205-2B5C-4D53-BCE1-4C2A926E19CD.jpeg
07616D05-6389-4C15-8DE8-12B080F7DAAF.jpeg
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Re: Catching up

Post by KillinTime »

Great detailed report! Way to get out there and enjoy life!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Band stuff? I essentially retired from my last band (classic rock/drums) because I’d rather go fishing 😂 Thanks as always for the 411. Man that lost fish had to hurt but you do know where she and her brothers and sisters live. I love having just the right amount of water into the tules to get a flip bite. Between Hodges (old water levels) and Otay, not many SD lakes better for flippin!
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

JWall wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:44 pm Band stuff? I essentially retired from my last band (classic rock/drums) because I’d rather go fishing 😂 Thanks as always for the 411. Man that lost fish had to hurt but you do know where she and her brothers and sisters live. I love having just the right amount of water into the tules to get a flip bite. Between Hodges (old water levels) and Otay, not many SD lakes better for flippin!
I have the stoke for flipping big time right now. It’s a rush to hook up on a fish and even the clones are a battle when you’re fishing in the thick stuff.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:51 pm
JWall wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:44 pm Band stuff? I essentially retired from my last band (classic rock/drums) because I’d rather go fishing 😂 Thanks as always for the 411. Man that lost fish had to hurt but you do know where she and her brothers and sisters live. I love having just the right amount of water into the tules to get a flip bite. Between Hodges (old water levels) and Otay, not many SD lakes better for flippin!
I have the stoke for flipping big time right now. It’s a rush to hook up on a fish and even the clones are a battle when you’re fishing in the thick stuff.
Good old Hodges flippin story…mid 90’s we would flip the tules as soon as any shad chasing activity against the shore would subside. We were there during a tournament and crossed paths along a stretch of tules with two dudes in it and they were getting bit while we weren’t. I asked something like what’s your secret and they said they were flipping like 5 or 6lb line. We must have looked at them like they were crazy as we were using anywhere from 12-17lb (pre braid and fluoro days). How Do You Not Lose Fish? Oh We Go Right In After Em was their response. I still don’t know if they were fibbing but they were still getting bit as they flipped away in the distance.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

JWall wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:59 pm
CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:51 pm
Good old Hodges flippin story…mid 90’s we would flip the tules as soon as any shad chasing activity against the shore would subside. We were there during a tournament and crossed paths along a stretch of tules with two dudes in it and they were getting bit while we weren’t. I asked something like what’s your secret and they said they were flipping like 5 or 6lb line. We must have looked at them like they were crazy as we were using anywhere from 12-17lb (pre braid and fluoro days). How Do You Not Lose Fish? Oh We Go Right In After Em was their response. I still don’t know if they were fibbing but they were still getting bit as they flipped away in the distance.
Maybe not that different than throwing a thin Senko in the tules at Otay or into the trees at the V on a 7 or 8 pound leader. That gets bit for sure but always end up with a lot of breakoffs on account of the line size. If I’m flipping flipping I’m usually using straight braid.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Nice report. I agree with you on the monsters at Hodges. I just wish they could put a little more water in that lake.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Awesome report brother! That big one is coming.. I feel it in my urine lol
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Wow...hitting all the lakes and pulling in bass. Very nice!
My Googan Kracken' craws and Strike King Rage craws look like little wimps compared to that husky craw bait you are throwing.
Looks like it gets lots of action and you always find some new cool baits that the bass like to gobble up. Thanks for sharing and
a big one is right around the corner buddy. Tight lines always. :-)
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Spawned out 3-12 from last night.
AE76CD27-9B56-4608-B96B-C3AA55321840.jpeg
6D2D0701-D2B3-4BCB-929A-355F84CD467E.jpeg