First time in the tube! Murray 4/6

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

First time in the tube! Murray 4/6

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Weather finally cooperated and bro and I finally got to take the float tubes out for their maiden voyage. We figured Murray would be a great place to start as it’s a smaller body of water. We launched about 8am and basically just kicked a lap around the lake starting in Padre cove fishing along the way.

Float tubing is a really fun way to fish. It’s definitely also a bit of a workout - my legs are feeling it right now, but by the end of the day I kinda figured out how to steer and position myself to fish spots. I basically had a dropshot rod in my hands all day. I brought my flippin stick and another rod that I could throw reaction stuff on, but didn’t ever take the rod leashes off them. About 9:30 I got a bite about 5’ off the bank in some rock and hooked what I assumed was a very small bass by the lack of fight. Turned out to be a trout! So first fish in the tube and no skunk, but wrong species! Didn’t take long before I found a couple of the right ones. My brother found one chucking and winding as he was kicking along the buoy line back towards the ramp area. Nothing bigger than 1.5 or so but still a ton of fun.

Some things I learned today -1. less is more. I could probably bring half the stuff I brought today and do just fine. 2. Not sure if I maybe inflated the seat back or the center seat piece too much but I felt like I was leaning forward in the seat and kept having to scoot my butt back and lean back to feel like I was centered on the water. As a general rule I found myself trying to lean back in the seat. not sure if any of that makes sense to the experienced tube crowd but if anyone has any pointers, many thanks in advance. Didn’t feel unstable by any means, but the boat moves better when the center of gravity is toward the back of the boat it seems like.

Also great to get to see @VinnyBass and get to shoot the sh*t for a few!

All in all, I am hooked. I can’t wait to get out again. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next weekend. Tight lines all!
Attachments
F21A798D-9EDB-4B0A-B2EC-A474A526A254.jpeg
9D5BD69C-A75B-4704-9142-2DC2A8B01706.jpeg
975E6D42-6ABB-4E64-870F-CBB283981F35.jpeg
F11F9FC3-B7BB-4FAC-8EC9-A378C22000E7.jpeg
0DD1E7C3-5435-41FC-96FA-FDA91F417A1B.jpeg
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: First time in the tube! Murray 4/6

Post by camobass »

I barely inflate the backrest on my prowler and keep the adjusters loose. Less is definitely more
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
StinkyPinky23
Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

Tubing is its own thing, and it sort of lends itself to slowing down/finesse fishing for the most part. You can’t cover a lot of water, being low in the water makes using many baits and even longer rods hard to fish. I’ve only had round tubes since I was a kid. Always adjusting myself in the seat. I found sitting on my life jacket helped and put me up higher. 2/3 rods tops. When you pack your compartments too full it’s hard to get what’s on bottom without dropping something in the water
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

I had others plans and errands to run and wish I could have fished today, but when you told me you and your brother would
be out with your new tubes at Murray, I just had to stop by the lake. It was great to see you out there and I have never fished
out of one, but you guys looked comfortable like you have fished in tubes for decades. Glad you guys had fun and each caught
some fish. As I walked along the shore chatting with you, it was very difficult to not have a fishing rod in my hands...as it was
a very strange feeling...ha ha
Anyway....take care and hope to be on the lake the next time you hit Murray.
Tight lines
ssufish
Angler

Post by ssufish »

Very nice, tubing is a fun experience. Keep at it and then think about heading to the big bay...salt is a whole other (fun) animal.
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

Your rods leaning over must be annoying. Probably need a bungee to go from the bottom of the rack under the tube to the D-ring on the opposite side. Having to readjust your seat is pretty normal. Getting things dialed in is part of the challenge.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Fisheromen wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:26 pm Your rods leaning over must be annoying. Probably need a bungee to go from the bottom of the rack under the tube to the D-ring on the opposite side. Having to readjust your seat is pretty normal. Getting things dialed in is part of the challenge.
I built a stabilizer bar for it that connects to a pipe attached to the d rings, but didn’t glue that piece and the first time I had to scoot back in the seat it popped off. I macguyvered it with zip ties so it was usable, but I’m gonna have to mod it before the next trip out for sure.
789B4647-0F0B-4FE5-9745-47909C5DFA86.jpeg
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I had a feeling your back rest would interfere with that pipe. That cross over pipe isn’t necessary. You can go to ababa bolt in El Cajon and get jumbo thick zip ties to connect the upper part if you rod holder to the large d rings and then run some tuna or para cord from the bottom of the holder under your tube bladder to a ring on the bottom side of your tube
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
otaymichael
Mega Pro Angler

Post by otaymichael »

My exhaust pipe is on the other side!

:D 8-)
KillinTime
Mega Pro Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Fishing and exercise...... I think that is a win win?

Tubs are very stealthy and keep you on the spot in the wind. No need for spot lock. Unless you fish Hodges in the rain. You all know who we are talking about=)
Dannicus
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Dannicus »

I got my first float tube in 1981, and still doing it. Had a bass boat, inflatable dingy, kayak, and I just keep coming back to the tube. With the Bixpy motor underneath it I don't even have to worry about the wind. To me, it's the perfect fishing platform. That having been said, even after all these years and many attempts at fixes, I still find myself sliding down in the seat lol.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Dannicus wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:28 am I got my first float tube in 1981, and still doing it. Had a bass boat, inflatable dingy, kayak, and I just keep coming back to the tube. With the Bixpy motor underneath it I don't even have to worry about the wind. To me, it's the perfect fishing platform. That having been said, even after all these years and many attempts at fixes, I still find myself sliding down in the seat lol.
I’d be super interested to see your Bixpy setup sometime!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:23 am
Dannicus wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:28 am I got my first float tube in 1981, and still doing it. Had a bass boat, inflatable dingy, kayak, and I just keep coming back to the tube. With the Bixpy motor underneath it I don't even have to worry about the wind. To me, it's the perfect fishing platform. That having been said, even after all these years and many attempts at fixes, I still find myself sliding down in the seat lol.
He is a Lake Murray 360 days a year....ha ha.
(Just messing with you @Dannicus :-)
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

VinnyBass wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:05 am
I mentioned to you when we were chatting that I was kind of surprised we didn’t run into Dannicus at Murray Saturday, but it’s sure to happen soon
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:39 am
I mentioned to you when we were chatting that I was kind of surprised we didn’t run into Dannicus at Murray Saturday, but it’s sure to happen soon
I thought at first he may be in camouflage clothing to try keep other fishermen from fishing right next to him...ha ha
He is usually there as I randomly stop by the lake just to look around a number of times during the week and he is
almost always there. I have a bixpy that I use here and there with my kayak and it is wonderful!
Dannicus
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Dannicus »

I am usually at Murray Tuesday thru Thursday. I'd be happy to show it to you. You could even take it for a test drive if you'd like.
Dannicus
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Dannicus »

I fish Murray through the week after I drop my kids off at school. I try to hit some other lakes on weekends when I can. Today I fished El Cap.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Dannicus wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:40 pm

I fish Murray through the week after I drop my kids off at school. I try to hit some other lakes on weekends when I can. Today I fished El Cap.
Very nice! Brother and I are taking the tubes up to Hodges tomorrow.
Dannicus
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Sounds fun but I got a family commitment this weekend. A day off fishing means I still have a relationship.... although.... No I'd better do the family thing 😂
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Dannicus wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:45 pm Sounds fun but I got a family commitment this weekend. A day off fishing means I still have a relationship.... although.... No I'd better do the family thing 😂
It was pretty fun! Can’t wait to go back to Hodges. Got a puncture in the tube (crankbait got spit close to me and the back hook ended up in the back of my left pontoon). So… gonna have a battle scar already :lol: