11/27-Back to the SD River

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Re: 11/27-Back to the SD River

Post by DarkShadow »

That thing looks more than beat up. That thing looks dead. And as someone mentioned before in this thread, that generation is obsessed with videos! They're posting videos of the food they ate earlier in the day on social media.

The fact that there is no video is a bit sketchy, considering that it would have been bragging rights, and it would've definitely lent more credibility to the story.

But alas, the cell phones only get pulled out when people are doing donuts and burn outs on city streets apparently, and not during a once in a life time event like this.
Pipster
Angler

Post by Pipster »

If that fish isn't dead it must of swallowed a few bags of meth washed out of a homeless encampment.. that or it's the start of the zombie invasion...
otaymichael
Mega Pro Angler

Post by otaymichael »

You can say that again! ;/)
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

I do know that there have, on rare occasions, been salmon caught on local sport boats. Haven’t heard of any in recent years and they are extremely rare but I wouldn’t say it is impossible for a stray fish to make its way into the river. By the looks of that fish it looks to be pretty close to the end of its life.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Moose wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:03 pm I do know that there have, on rare occasions, been salmon caught on local sport boats. Haven’t heard of any in recent years and they are extremely rare but I wouldn’t say it is impossible for a stray fish to make its way into the river. By the looks of that fish it looks to be pretty close to the end of its life.
If it was a small fish...I would say there could by a miracle be more of a possibility.
Have you ever gone down and followed the river all through mission valley and to the ocean? I worked in Mission Valley for 28 years
and fished many many spots over the years and there just are are areas where it is basically blocked with lots of debris, growth, etc.
Especially behind fashion valley where the town and country hotel used to be and down further
where it is a trickle though the golf course and areas past that. A fish that big just to me would not have a chance and anyone who has
fished or been to these areas where I mentioned would probably agree. Anything in the world is possible, but in my opinion something is
pretty fishy....ha ha
Tight lines Moose
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

The second pic where the head is on the bag in the water is probably exactly how they found it
Last edited by camobass on Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

VinnyBass wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:01 pm I am going to sound like a negative Nancy here.....but here are some things in the WON story that to me seem strange.
He said he had only a 20 minute window to fish, before going to work. OK...yet there is a float tube there and it
just seems illogical to take that out, try to get it out somewhere in the water to fish in such a short time.
Another thing even though I don't have a float tube, don't you wear waders when you fish out of one?
He is wearing Levis(and they are not wet)...where is his waders?
I have some questions looking at the slightly blurred areas of the photo itself especially if you enlarge it with a computer.
Some things are just out of focus yet right around him where he is standing everything is pretty sharp. The tail fin area of
the fish is a little weird...I guess working for a few decades with graphic designers and artists who were pretty good at
photoshop makes me look at things a little more closely.
And I met a guy at the river a couple times who works for the city or somewhere who said he randomly tests the water
and tests the oxygen levels. Lots of dead fish at times down there due to lack of oxygen.
There are a few other things but I want to know what you think about the 20 minute thing, the float tube and not wearing
waders? Something is not true in this story to me.....sorry if I am being a whiner.

The story states he had a 40min window, not 20.

I have no clue if this is legit or not. All I am really saying is that “impossible” catches happen. The 20+lb striper at San V, the 17lb one caught at El Cap a few years ago. The Cayman that was caught out of San V back in the early 90’s. No one would have thought any of those catches would occur. That’s the great thing about fishing, you just never know. Now a days it’s also the bummer about fishing, you never really know the true story unless you were there and there are too many bogus stories out there so everyone is very skeptical when stories like this pop up
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Moose wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:32 pm Now a days it’s also the bummer about fishing, you never really know the true story unless you were there and there are too many bogus stories out there so everyone is very skeptical when stories like this pop up
Pretty sure it's been like this since the beginning of fishing.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

True but it’s worse today because of how easy it is to get these bogus stories out there. Before everything was spread by word of mouth. Now all someone has to do is post a pic and stories like this take off. All fishermen lie about the one that got away, or about what they caught fish on. Look how long Mike Long got away with things before technology and social media took off. Guys just want attention now and don’t really care about how they achieve it. Some do it hoping for some kind of payday, others because they want their 15min of fame. It’s really sad that everybody has had to become a skeptic about what they see posted.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Moose wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:32 pm
VinnyBass wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:01 pm I am going to sound like a negative Nancy here.....but here are some things in the WON story that to me seem strange.
He said he had only a 20 minute window to fish, before going to work. OK...yet there is a float tube there and it
just seems illogical to take that out, try to get it out somewhere in the water to fish in such a short time.
Another thing even though I don't have a float tube, don't you wear waders when you fish out of one?
He is wearing Levis(and they are not wet)...where is his waders?
I have some questions looking at the slightly blurred areas of the photo itself especially if you enlarge it with a computer.
Some things are just out of focus yet right around him where he is standing everything is pretty sharp. The tail fin area of
the fish is a little weird...I guess working for a few decades with graphic designers and artists who were pretty good at
photoshop makes me look at things a little more closely.
And I met a guy at the river a couple times who works for the city or somewhere who said he randomly tests the water
and tests the oxygen levels. Lots of dead fish at times down there due to lack of oxygen.
There are a few other things but I want to know what you think about the 20 minute thing, the float tube and not wearing
waders? Something is not true in this story to me.....sorry if I am being a whiner.

The story states he had a 40min window, not 20.

I have no clue if this is legit or not. All I am really saying is that “impossible” catches happen. The 20+lb striper at San V, the 17lb one caught at El Cap a few years ago. The Cayman that was caught out of San V back in the early 90’s. No one would have thought any of those catches would occur. That’s the great thing about fishing, you just never know. Now a days it’s also the bummer about fishing, you never really know the true story unless you were there and there are too many bogus stories out there so everyone is very skeptical when stories like this pop up
I saw the original WON story which said 20 minute window just to let you know. Now the posted story on WON says 40 minutes.
I didn't need my degree in Journalism, as I just used my eyes to see what was originally written and now it has been edited on WON.
Not trying to argue with you at all....just saying what was originally posted. And the original WON story said the fish was
released after the photos
. Anything is possible in the world of fishing and we all have opinions on this story but that was
what was originally posted. Do you believe the fish was released after seeing that deep gash/cut on it?
Trust me...I agree with you in the sense that it's sad that it's hard to believe what is true or not true this days.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Someone threw that thing in there. Floater. Probably came out of a fish hold from a private sporty back from up north and some deck hand threw it in the SDR to mess with someone.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

Never saw the original report. For it to go from 20min to. 40min window does seem convenient. Unfortunately there is only one person, possibly two, who truly know of this is legit or not.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Moose wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:10 pmLook how long Mike Long got away with things before technology and social media took off.
That's my point exactly. With the advent of having 4k (or 8k depending on what phone you have) recording available in the palm of your hand, and social media being able to have live broadcasts, why on earth was video not taken? That's like seeing Bigfoot walk past and providing you an exclusive interview, and all you do is just take a picture.

An alien ship landing in your backyard asking for directions, and all you do is take a picture.

My guess is that this guy is shopping the video to TMZ and seeing how much money he can make from it.

:D
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

I get that but I don’t ever have video going when I’m fishing. Pictures? Yes. Video? Not usually unless I have my son or daughter with me. That part doesn’t really bother me. I guess maybe a cideo of the release (at least) would go a long way to corroborating the story.
Pipster
Angler

Post by Pipster »

If your phone can take a picture it can make a video. Would of been just as easy to film it laying there dead as taking a picture of it.
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

I think I remember about 6 years ago some guy caught 2 steelhead in the Newport Harbor
risentidefishing
Pro Angler

Post by risentidefishing »

A few years ago a friend of mine caught a steelhead in the river that runs through the La Costa Golf Course. DFW caught wind of it and electro shocked all the bass out of the pond it was caught in a few days later. Crazy stuff can happen! The fact that it looks dead isn’t surprising as Salmon start to deteriorate as soon as they get into freshwater. I’ve caught seen some in AK that look like Zombie fish
Pipster
Angler

Post by Pipster »

Steelhead are a local fish, chinook are not. It's kinda like catching a lmb then saying there must be smb here.
risentidefishing
Pro Angler

Post by risentidefishing »

Pipster wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:02 pm Steelhead are a local fish, chinook are not. It's kinda like catching a lmb then saying there must be smb here.
King Salmon show up in SoCal and south of Ensenada EVERY year. And last I checked SMB can’t swim freely through the ocean can they? There’s as many if not more King Salmon caught in SoCal Bight every year then there are Steelhead. Just saying