Ghost Shrimp Locations IN Mission Bay

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
philipbunch
Angler

Ghost Shrimp Locations IN Mission Bay

Post by philipbunch »

Are there good locations to pump shrimp in Mission Bay. I have been going to the estuary channel but its a longish walk and would like to find a spot with better access.

Thanks.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Ghost Shrimp Locations IN Mission Bay

Post by Neuroshima »

Bonita Cove
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Neuroshima wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:10 amBonita Cove
Sand is much softer than the silt in the channel, easier on old worn out shoulders. You can get to the shrimp fairly easily any time the tide is at +1 foot (and lower, of course).
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Luc42
Angler

Post by Luc42 »

Does anyone know if ghost shrimp are available all year round or is it seasonal like sand crabs ? I’m hoping the local shops will carry live ones throughout the year. The frozen ghost to me are just not the same. They just seem to fall apart instantly compared to fresh live ones.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Luc42 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:13 pm Does anyone know if ghost shrimp are available all year round or is it seasonal like sand crabs ? I’m hoping the local shops will carry live ones throughout the year. The frozen ghost to me are just not the same. They just seem to fall apart instantly compared to fresh live ones.
I've pumped them all year, up here in LA/OC county, and our local bait shop has them all year as well.. I would assume it's the same in SD CO...
Butch
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

I thought the go to spot was always OB dog beach since there are a billion holes everywhere and hitting it on the incoming high tide always prevailed the bigger ones
Curltailgrub41480
Angler

Post by Curltailgrub41480 »

You can also salt them before you freeze so they stay on the hook better but yeah live is always best I think.
Luc42
Angler

Post by Luc42 »

I know some people use “magic string” or some thread to keep them on. Is it even safe for the fish or environment?
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

Luc42 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:09 pm I know some people use “magic string” or some thread to keep them on. Is it even safe for the fish or environment?
Elastic is fine, it breaks down in the environment. Not like water proofing surfactants except nikwax.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Plain Cotton thread works fine. You only need special fishing thread if you wear special fishing shirts. And special fishing shorts. Or if you just want to feel special.

If you're not using a spinning rod, and a carolina rig, stop reading. You're wasting your time reading this, and you're wasting your time fishing with live ghosties if you're using a baitcaster.

1. put the shrimp on the hook.
2. take a foot long piece of thread and tie it with an overhand knot to your leader. Slide the knot down to the shrimp.
3. wrap the thread around the shrimp starting at the tail, down to the head, and back up again.
4. When you get back up to the line, hold the thread perpendicular to the leader...twirl the leader with your other hand, and put three or four wraps around the leader. pull the thread tight and snip it of.

When you're doing the wraps around the shrimp, you can do it as pretty or as ugly as you want to. The fish won't care. After ten or fifteen casts, it's just gonna be a wad of shrimp tied to the hook...and fish won't care. It's shrimp.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

I used to have an issue keeping the bait on the hook when casting. Now I've figured out around that but it doesn't stay on long enough once on the bottom because the wrasse gnaw it off. So I've always been meaning to do it with the thread but does that help with the wrasse?
Luc42
Angler

Post by Luc42 »

Also, what’s the best hook to use for these guys ?
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

professionull wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:00 pm I used to have an issue keeping the bait on the hook when casting. Now I've figured out around that but it doesn't stay on long enough once on the bottom because the wrasse gnaw it off. So I've always been meaning to do it with the thread but does that help with the wrasse?
Hope you packed a lunch...this will take a minute.

Stopping wrasseses from stealing bait is like keeping a tweaker from stealing your bicycle. It's his job, and he's got all the time in the world to make it happen.

That having been said, yeah, the thread slows 'em down. I have a theory that rock wrasse sometimes use their goofy teeth to tear off a chunk of bait, then eat it without mouthing the whole thing (so your hook's not in their mouth). Somebody needs to document how a wrasse nibbles bait....now that everyone but me has an underwater camera.

Anyway, if the bait's tied on, at least the fish has to come back for a second or third bite to get it all. A wadded up ball of thread with a tiny bit of shrimp still works.

Most of these concepts were mentioned by other, more experienced fisherx.

Key points are highlighted. These are things I learned through trial and error.

My shrimp rig is a carolina rig, bullet weight, leader of 12 inches or so. #6 Owner mosquito hook. The round bend and short shank of the hook make it easy to "stitch," and the thin wire and small eye minimize tearing-up the bait. Size six works on most sizes of shrimp.
ghostie  rig.jpg
The highly-paid graphic artist left out the shrimp's legs in order to simplify the drawing.

1. Poke the hook through the last segment of shell near the tail, in through the belly side and out through the back. (If you go in through the back, the shrimp's tail will create drag in the water, pushing the tail down the line so it balls up on the hook), Pull a few inches of line through, as if you were sewing.

2. Now go in through the back, about halfway up the tail section. Pull the slack line through the shrimp so you can make another stitch or two. If it's a really big shrimp, you can make another stitch to work your way up to the head.

3. Stitch #3 goes right in between the shrimp's tail section and head. Don't pull it all the way through (unless it's a ginormous shrimp).

4. Poke the point of the hook through the back of the shrimp's head. You want the point and barb to come out right in the middle of the big knot of muscles where the legs attach to the head. That's the toughest part of the entire shrimp.

5. Gently pull the slack loops of line out.

Wrap it on with thread, or not.

It sounds complicated because it IS. However...after you've done it a few times, you can get your shrimp rigged in 30 seconds. Add another minute for a really beautiful mummy wrap with thread.

This will stay on for multiple casts. One day in the surf, I counted how many casts I got out of each shrimp. Many baits lasted ten casts; the record was 20.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

FYI, not MB but I have seen people pump shrimp from the shallow area south of J-street Marina at low tide.
sdjiricek
Angler

Post by sdjiricek »

Rob Field OB, down in the riverbed channel, at low tide. Not exactly MB but really close.