A Calamity of Errors....

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
Dry Fly Rie
Angler

A Calamity of Errors....

Post by Dry Fly Rie »

....with one nice fish.

That pretty much sums up my evening on the sand.

During the summer, we go to the beach as a family every Friday afternoon with a group of other families. It's mostly just hanging out, but I always bring a rod or two so I can toss a few casts when the opportunity presents itself. Well, this outing had lots of hiccups before eventually paying off.

I brought two rods, and they got so tangled in the car on the way over, I had to cut off both and re-tie once I was on the sand. Then, as I'm finishing the leader on my rod, I realize it somehow got wrapped around the reel seat and bail. I spent way too long trying to unwrap it before finally cutting and retying, again.

Next, it was time for whiffle ball, 3-flies up, and pickle with the group of kids that were there. Then I was in charge of the BBQ, so I grilled up some carne and pollo for tacos.

Finally, around 6:00, I had a chance to wet a line. I had perch taps on my first 5 casts, but couldn't get anything to connect. I was super frustrated. Then, I got slammed, and on the hook set, I snapped off below my swivel. I debated calling it a night, as the fish gods were clearly not smiling on me. But I stuck with it, re-tied (that's 3 times if you're counting at home), and sent another cast back out.

Tap, tap, tap, boom! Solid hookup and something took off running. I loosen the drag and start fighting. The beach was very steep and there was a strong backwash, so I was having trouble getting it in. I started backing up to drag it with the wave, and tripped on a little cut channel in the sand where the water was washing out. Next thing I know, I'm laying flat on my back, soaked by the incoming wave, and my rod is next to me. I scramble up, grab the rod and reel like crazy. Luckily, the fish was still on.

About 30 seconds later, here comes a lifeguard running down the beach heading out to help a surfer who had lost his board and was struggling getting back in. The lifeguard is running north, straight for my line as the fish is speeding south. Just as the lifeguard enters the water, I get his attention and tell him I've got a good fish on and the line is coming right at him. I wanted to make sure he didn't get clotheslined by the braid. He gave me the thumb's up, dove onto his longboard and skimmed right over my line (as I dove my rod tip down to the sand to make sure his board fins didn't ding my line). Right as he swims over my line, the fish goes crazy and takes off back out to deeper water.

Finally, about 4 minutes after I hooked it, I was able to walk it farther down the beach where it was less steep and drag it onto the wet sand.

It wasn't the best fish I've ever caught, or even a PB, but with everything that went wrong earlier, I was stoked to catch it.
IMG_1152.jpeg
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Re: A Calamity of Errors....

Post by Midnightpass »

Great write up, and a very nice SFC... You stuck it out and it paid off... And the fish gods were smiling on you. :) ... But with a slight smirk. ;) ...
Butch
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

Perseverance paid off ! Congrats, a nice spot. Sand crab, assume ? Looks like no red tide whatever beach you're at.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

All it takes is one fish to turn your day around
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

Gotta give you an A+ for persistence, nice spotfin