Fish ID?

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
Landofishing
Angler

Fish ID?

Post by Landofishing »

Caught a fish and had a slight argument with a park ranger on the species, spoke with them some more yesterday and they are saying it’s a red ear sunfish? They said “we had a biologist shock the water and identify the fish”. I feel either a they are full of it, b. Don’t want to do a job, c don’t care either way what is it?
Attachments
IMG_1647.jpeg
IMG_1648.jpeg
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Fish ID?

Post by foulhook »

Tilipia
kirkboat
Angler

Post by kirkboat »

Definitely not a redear. Rockbass maybe? What lake did you catch it at?
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Looks like a Nile Tilapia. I think foulhook is correct. I have them in one of my greenhouses and they have a lot of variation but some very much look like that fish.
Landofishing
Angler

Post by Landofishing »

Early release wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:18 pm Looks like a Nile Tilapia. I think foulhook is correct. I have them in one of my greenhouses and they have a lot of variation but some very much look like that fish.
I said the same thing but said blue tilapia so did one of my buddies that studies fish, caught it at lake Jennings and don’t feel like arguing with them, they laughed at me when I said I caught a tilapia and proceeded to just make jokes about me the whole time so caught another one showed them and they told me a week later “we had biologists” come out and zap the water and look at them and it’s a type of redear but I really don’t think they did it’s just a joke to them
Landofishing
Angler

Post by Landofishing »

kirkboat wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:06 pm Definitely not a redear. Rockbass maybe? What lake did you catch it at?
Lake Jennings and I’m 99.9% sure it was a tilapia but I just got made fun of there by the staff and it’s a joke to them so yea
Landofishing
Angler

Post by Landofishing »

foulhook wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:27 pmTilipia
That’s what I told them but they treated it as a joke so yea
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Yeah...I don't really know much about tilapia...but that sure looks like one, based on the shape of the dorsal fin (sunfish/bluegill have shorter rays at the front) and the little plaid markings on the tail fin. And I took a quick scan of all my bluegill/sunfish pics and none have the dorsal fin shape and tail markings like the fish in your pic.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
raindo
Angler

Post by raindo »

Landofishing wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:32 pm
Early release wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:18 pm Looks like a Nile Tilapia. I think foulhook is correct. I have them in one of my greenhouses and they have a lot of variation but some very much look like that fish.
I said the same thing but said blue tilapia so did one of my buddies that studies fish, caught it at lake Jennings and don’t feel like arguing with them, they laughed at me when I said I caught a tilapia and proceeded to just make jokes about me the whole time so caught another one showed them and they told me a week later “we had biologists” come out and zap the water and look at them and it’s a type of redear but I really don’t think they did it’s just a joke to them
Ain't no redear, 99.9% that is a tilapia. There are tilapias in lake Jennings, I've heard people reported about it
Landofishing
Angler

Post by Landofishing »

raindo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:38 am
Landofishing wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:32 pm
Ain't no redear, 99.9% that is a tilapia. There are tilapias in lake Jennings, I've heard people reported about it
I figured as much just their professionalism was extremely lacking
Queue
Angler

Post by Queue »

Unfortunately, a Tilapia 100%
galen
Pro Angler

Post by galen »

Not a surprise at all that the anglers are better at ID than the rangers. Or maybe no ranger wants to be the one to admit that there are invasives in their lake.
Landofishing
Angler

Post by Landofishing »

Yea you’re not wrong it’s infuriating though that they would sit there and be jerks about it and joking on their walkies about it right in front of me
Swings are free
Angler

Post by Swings are free »

Tilapia
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

100% a tilapia
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Yep, if Queue says it's a tilapia..it's a Tilapia!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Tilapia
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
lindaronstadt
Angler

Post by lindaronstadt »

It seems like you might have caught a Nile Tilapia there. They are known for their distinct appearance, and your description aligns with the characteristics of this species