fishing spot between Liberty Station park and Corvette diner

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
returnofthemackerel
Angler

fishing spot between Liberty Station park and Corvette diner

Post by returnofthemackerel »

I'm not sure what it's called, but it's that water channel that feeds from the bay and goes all the way to the back of the Corvette diner and edge of the MCRD and Liberty Station park. The old forum gave good rig advice and tips for that area, but I already forgot lol. I vaguely remember being recommended to use size 4 hooks and a spider hitch knot (what size weight again? or just use a nail?) What about a float and what pound test? You can see lots of activity at night and sometimes fish jumping out of the water so there's gotta be something in there. Bonefish? Corvina?
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: fishing spot between Liberty Station park and Corvette diner

Post by Neuroshima »

I've personally never done that well at LS, but I have seen others catch bonefish, corbina, angel sharks, and even white seabass. It's about 15 feet deep in the middle of the channel.
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

I’ve had better luck near the bridges than the areas you’re describing. And much better success south of the bridges, but you need a watercraft of some sort. The fish coming out of the water might be mackerel chasing bait fish. Try soft plastic swim baits or frozen anchovy on a dropper rig, 1 oz weight, #2 mosquito hooks. 8-10 lb test line. That setup should get a few spotted bay bass (spotties) or halibut. Good luck.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Those jumping fish...If they're big silver fish with white bellies coming out of the water two or three feet, those are mullet. And unlike the highly functional, always fashionable haircut that shares their name, these fish are very difficult to acquire. They are largely vegetarian and don't often take lures or eat bait.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
spicy mayo
Angler

Post by spicy mayo »

if you can, take a scouting trip to that area during minus tides. theres a lot of snaggy concrete slabs near shore in that channel. at least thats what i remember from 10 or so years ago.
sdfriday
Angler

Post by sdfriday »

I fish there all the time. I call it the "back bowl" or boat ramp. I've caught all the usual's out of there. Spotties, tiny barred sand bass, halibut, smelt, corvina, yellow fin croaker, and even 1 sargo. All caught on plastics. I've never caught a bonefish there or anywhere but they probably are there too. Tons of all types of rays there right now. Hooked into a bat a couple of weekends ago. Never tried bait so I can't comment but it can be a challenging spot for plastics. looks super fishy but I think there are so many baitfish there that they can be more selective. And it's semi pressured by shore pounders and kayakers too. The bite turns on a lot a night though as it does down by the bridge. And of course early mornings.
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

The bones do come in there on the flood tides.

There's much better spots to fish as a bank beater, even putting in months worth of time at this spot never yielded anything much compared to other productive areas. Only thing guaranteed is a case of deafness after a couple planes take off.