8/31- Miramar: One Last Time

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

8/31- Miramar: One Last Time

Post by VinnyBass »

With Miramar set to close to boats, kayaks, kayaks after Labor Day, for who knows how long, to work on a big project, I decided to hit it one more time. Water level had dropped since my last trip on the 22nd and when I arrived a guy pulled back too far after his buddy launched his boat and his trailer was stuck over the lip of the end of the boat ramp. The truck could not pull it up, but with Ruben's(City Lakes) help as he waded into the water, they were able to get it back up on the ramp. Needless to say, that guy was happy!
Anyway....I launched and took off to deeper water. Not much on the surface, so I just started tossing reaction baits. It did not take long as I landed my first bass(always like to get that one out of the way). I mixed it up a little, fishing 5-10 below the surface and also letting my baits drop down into the 20-30 foot levels as I landed bass at both levels. Most of the bass were small but a few of the fatter ones were in the deeper water. I had landed 6 bass by 8a.m. Then picked up 3 more in between having at least 4 come unbuttoned. These buggers seem to go crazy when they hit the surface, especially near my kayak and feel lucky that no blade or spoon hit me when they shook it...ha ha. So then it got pretty slow and I really wanted to catch one more before leaving. I make tons of casts and finally had one on only to break off at the knot of my 8lb fluoro. I was bummed. Still throwing reaction baits with no bite for close to 2 hours. All of a sudden I picked up my 10th and 11th bass(both small) in less than ten minutes of each other and started back to the launch ramp to head home.
Then, a funny thing happened as I still had one rod out making a few casts before I got to the dock. On my last cast, I was reeling my lure in quickly and was startled as a small bass hit it probably less than 5 feet from the surface. It came off quickly(so much for the dozen) but it was a really fun morning and only wish I hit Miramar a little more often in the summer. Hope it re-opens again before I start using a walker...ha ha
IMG_7885.jpg
IMG_7919.PNG
IMG_7920.PNG
IMG_7921.PNG
Biggest went 3.5lbs
IMG_7932.PNG
Most were clones(you get the picture) :-)
IMG_7925.PNG
IMG_7924.PNG
Pretty sure this was the same bass
@McFish caught(his biggest) a few weeks ago here :-)
McFish's beast.PNG
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Re: 8/31- Miramar: One Last Time

Post by Fisheromen »

Nice job, as usual! Never had the pleasure.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Fisheromen wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:26 pm Nice job, as usual! Never had the pleasure.
Better hurry! :-)
directions for fisheromen.png
map.png
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

The lake will be closed for the season by the time he gets there from Ramona...traveling by covered wagon I imagine...
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Vinny I assume you were yakking…whats your fishfinder setup on your rig?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

JWall wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:52 am Vinny I assume you were yakking…whats your fishfinder setup on your rig?
You assumed right. For years I had a Lowrance Hook2 with a 7" screen until earlier this year.
Right now I have a 9" Lowrance Elite finder. Put a visor on it(BerleyPro Visor) to help with the glare and got active target.
A big shout out to Kerry Peeler at OEX who did an outstanding job with all the installation.
Still the old school in me is that a fish finder(I have actually called them depth finders for years) is something to check the
water depths and look for structure on the bottom.
I am still at the early stages of using and figuring out Active Target. Many have seen me out in the middle of Murray just floating
around for hours trying to find shad with this unit. Yeah, you can see the shad, fish and bottom images the same way you could
see them on my other units I had, only a lot better defined. As we all know anyone who has or had fish finders, there no guarantee
the fish will bite. I make tons of casts(@McFish has seen me work a plastic worm in 4 times to his one time...ha ha) which I always
feel somehow increases my odd as the more area I cover, I may find a bass that will actually hit my lure. :-)
Lowrance Elite 9.PNG
With visor
IMG_7944.PNG
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Nice setup Vinny and thanks for sharing!! I need to upgrade my boat FF and am getting great input here on SDFish.
ColdEye
Angler

Post by ColdEye »

Any chance you know what the big project will be? Have not been to Lake Mira Mar in so long.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

ColdEye wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:23 am Any chance you know what the big project will be? Have not been to Lake Mira Mar in so long.
I do not know all the details but it is a huge underwater pipeline construction project that they say will be completed in 2025.
We will see and hope the fish like the new water that will be entering the lake.
Here is more about it:
https://www.sandiego.gov/public-utiliti ... n-facility

Here is the City Of San Diego Memo
https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/ ... -08-29.pdf
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Vinny's fishfinder system actually has a small underwater drone that takes his lure and sticks it in the fish's mouth..very high tech!