Any bass lakes or reservoirs with rental boating? :/

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
FisherMax09
Angler

Any bass lakes or reservoirs with rental boating? :/

Post by FisherMax09 »

As the title states I'm looking for a good bass fishery with a good number of bass. Preferably a lake with boat renting. I have found many options and I do not know which to decide. I have been looking at Lake Dixon, however I heard the bass there are very tough and pressured and as a beginner I want to try a lake where I can really be sure to catch my first bass. Despite that I am open to discussion and feedback on this topic. I do want to fish somewhere new, so Santee lakes, Lake Murray, Lake Cuyamaca, and Miramar Lake are off the table. Please help me find a suitable lake to help me catch my first bass. Thank you in advance. :D
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Any bass lakes or reservoirs with rental boating? :/

Post by camobass »

Barrett
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Zach
Angler

Post by Zach »

Barrett and San Vicente, based on recent reports, looks like they're some of the top producing lakes this year. Otay is typically good, but I hear it's in a funky condition; will likely still produce but not ideal conditions. Most lakes have rentals in some form or other, whether boat or yak.

Best of luck out there. Dragging a drop shot is a sure fire way to land you at least one.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

I'd agree with the above comments, Barrett and San Vicente. Barrett, you could use almost anything and probably get a bass. San V seems to me, to be best done with finesse techniques. Dixon isn't bad during the week and I think it's cheaper for a boat there. I always fish there from the shore and I get a couple. I also think you can rent a boat at Lake Hodges and people have done well there. Check the reports online and you'll see where people have been successful. Good luck, once you get one, you'll want to do it again. :)
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

One caveat about San Vicente: if you’re not comfortable dealing with wake from ski boats, go on a Monday. They are out in force on the weekends and typically don’t have any consideration for anyone else on the water. It’s a miracle there isn’t an accident there every single weekend with those turkeys around.
Surferjohn
Angler

Post by Surferjohn »

Sneaky one is Lake Wolhford. There are some big bass in there! Otay too.
FisherMax09
Angler

Post by FisherMax09 »

I hear Barret does only barbless hooks. All of the hooks I have are barbed. Is there a way to bypass or fix this without buying new ones? Also Lake Barret is very very expensive. I know you guys are talking about San Vicente as well, but is it as good or just as good as Barret?
risentidefishing
Pro Angler

Post by risentidefishing »

I second Lake Wohlford! Some big bass in there and they rent bass boats with foot pedal trolling motors and they are 1/2 off (40$) after 1pm. Can usually have the lake almost to your self on a week day. Been a good deep crank, frog, and flip bite lately
FisherMax09
Angler

Post by FisherMax09 »

risentidefishing wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:10 am I second Lake Wohlford! Some big bass in there and they rent bass boats with foot pedal trolling motors and they are 1/2 off (40$) after 1pm. Can usually have the lake almost to your self on a week day. Been a good deep crank, frog, and flip bite lately
I would like to be out there in the morning and is it abundant with bass? Or only a few good ones.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

FisherMax09 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:34 am I hear Barret does only barbless hooks. All of the hooks I have are barbed. Is there a way to bypass or fix this without buying new ones? Also Lake Barret is very very expensive. I know you guys are talking about San Vicente as well, but is it as good or just as good as Barret?
San V is a different bite than Barrett. Barrett is the only lake in the county with all Northern strain largemouth, they’re known to be more agreesive than the florida strain bass in our other lakes.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

FisherMax09 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:34 am I hear Barret does only barbless hooks. All of the hooks I have are barbed. Is there a way to bypass or fix this without buying new ones? Also Lake Barret is very very expensive. I know you guys are talking about San Vicente as well, but is it as good or just as good as Barret?
Most everyone crimps their barbs with pliers.

And Barrett is what I call a de-facto private lake. There is minimal pressure, thus it leads to very willing bass. Add the fact that they are Northern strain and you have two things going your way.

San Vicente from my experience, can be tough. Florida strain largemouth, and gin clear water means you'll have 2 factors already not in your favor. I've had success, but it seemed to come with a spinning rod in my hand.

And my 2 cents? I made the mistake of getting on rentals before I truly knew what I was doing or knowing a lake well, and it was just a waste of money. Unless you have a trolling motor, it is very difficult trying to catch largemouth when you don't have control of the boat unless the outboard is running, since you'll be at the mercy of the wind and current.

I'd stick to lakes that have good shoreline access and get some fish there, and you'll be saving yourself a cool hundred. You can probably get to any local lake when they open in the morning and this time of year, have a few fish that are shallow and are busting bait.
FisherMax09
Angler

Post by FisherMax09 »

DarkShadow wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:04 pm
Most everyone crimps their barbs with pliers.

And Barrett is what I call a de-facto private lake. There is minimal pressure, thus it leads to very willing bass. Add the fact that they are Northern strain and you have two things going your way.

San Vicente from my experience, can be tough. Florida strain largemouth, and gin clear water means you'll have 2 factors already not in your favor. I've had success, but it seemed to come with a spinning rod in my hand.

And my 2 cents? I made the mistake of getting on rentals before I truly knew what I was doing or knowing a lake well, and it was just a waste of money. Unless you have a trolling motor, it is very difficult trying to catch largemouth when you don't have control of the boat unless the outboard is running, since you'll be at the mercy of the wind and current.

I'd stick to lakes that have good shoreline access and get some fish there, and you'll be saving yourself a cool hundred. You can probably get to any local lake when they open in the morning and this time of year, have a few fish that are shallow and are busting bait.
Thanks for this great advice, however I am going with someone who has a lot of experience fishing, so it won't be hard to navigate the boat and im trying to try new things just to see how it is. I've never really went fishing on a boat, so I want to make my first time pretty good. I'm pretty far for Barret so I want to try to get the most out of going there. Also, I hear Florida strain are aggressive growers, but wouldn't that mean they are better than Northern Strain? Just asking, it's a privilege to have access to information from great fishermen like you!

Thanks again - Max
FisherMax09
Angler

Post by FisherMax09 »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:47 am
San V is a different bite than Barrett. Barrett is the only lake in the county with all Northern strain largemouth, they’re known to be more agreesive than the florida strain bass in our other lakes.
Interesting... I still have the same question regarding the Northern Strain that I have posted on another comment in this thread. But I want to ask, how is it a different bite from Barret?
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

FisherMax09 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:39 pm
Interesting... I still have the same question regarding the Northern Strain that I have posted on another comment in this thread. But I want to ask, how is it a different bite from Barret?
Northern strain Largemouth are much more agreesive feeders than Florida strain Largemouth. Florida strain Largemouth will grow faster and bigger but are much harder to catch.

At Barrett you can likely tie on a spinnerbait, underspin, jerkbait or some other type of reaction bait and get a bite chucking and winding. At San V, you’re fishing in the trees with finesse plastics. When they’re eating, they’re eating, but even the best days there are a bit of a grind.

The Northern strain Largemouth just change the game at Barrett just being more agressive but also due to the lack of pressure as a previous poster mentioned.

Also - San V is $100/day for a rental boat. Not really “cheap”.
FisherMax09
Angler

Post by FisherMax09 »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:51 pm
FisherMax09 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:39 pm
Northern strain Largemouth are much more agreesive feeders than Florida strain Largemouth. Florida strain Largemouth will grow faster and bigger but are much harder to catch.

At Barrett you can likely tie on a spinnerbait, underspin, jerkbait or some other type of reaction bait and get a bite chucking and winding. At San V, you’re fishing in the trees with finesse plastics. When they’re eating, they’re eating, but even the best days there are a bit of a grind.

The Northern strain Largemouth just change the game at Barrett just being more agressive but also due to the lack of pressure as a previous poster mentioned.

Also - San V is $100/day for a rental boat. Not really “cheap”.

Yeah, although Barret is also a similar price. Looking at the comments it does seem like Barret is the way to go because it is more bang for your buck and worth spending a 30ish dollars more. I might end up going to Barret as i just picked up some zoom fluke jrs that I can throw weightless or with an underspin jig. Is there any more advice regarding fishing lake Barret? Best times, weather, lures, etc? Can I find it on this forum? Much love man thank you.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Hi,

If you do decide to go to Barrett, you have to buy your boat ticket in advance on Ticketmaster. The good news is that there are usually some boat spots available in August ( it's hot ). The bad news is it's hot. Most folks go to Barrett earlier in the day, also because of the heat and mid day the wind usually makes it a bit choppy, so it's not as much fun. There's a whole bunch of postings on the Barrett section of this forum, so you can get all sorts of ideas for what to do, but your weightless flukes or underspins should be just fine.
FisherMax09
Angler

Post by FisherMax09 »

Thanks Early release, I will be checking that out. There are quite reservations in the next couple days. And is the prices for the boast on the website?
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
FisherMax09
Angler

Post by FisherMax09 »

Also why are they less pressured? Wouldn't more people be going to this area because of how good the fishery is? Or does the price daunt people?
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

They limit the number of permits for the lake...the lake would be packed with people if they didn't! Those northern bass are eager and willing to bite lots of lures that San V Florida bass would ignore. San V is known primarily as a dropshot and senko lake. The topwater can be great, but that's not really happening yet!