Hodges was Hot (and the weather, too)

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
PatFlynn
Angler

Hodges was Hot (and the weather, too)

Post by PatFlynn »

Usually I hit up Hodges in the mornings, but today I had a couple hours to spare, and so I decided to head out at 2:30pm – and boy was it HOT, and WINDY. :twisted: I totally forgot the wind picks up big time in the afternoon. And it's probably why I only saw a couple kayaks and a float tube in the water, and no one else. Very different than in the mornings.

I took a boat through the choppy water all the way toward the dam, and hit the south side sheer rock walls with a jig. This area, and technique was good to me the last couple weekends, but those were early morning bites. This was different.

It was even better.

In 2.5 hours, I landed 9 bass before 5:30pm, all on a jig. Boat had to be back at the dock at 5:45, although I had been offered by the staff to fish the other side of the lake from shore if I wanted to through 10pm, which I didn't even know was possible. I passed though, because I had my fix and was feeling great.

Average size was over 2 lbs, with the largest being 2.75. Last Sunday, I did get my PB of 5.07, so this lake has been very good to me lately!

I was casting the jig right toward the shore (sometimes ON the shore) and most bites were within 6" to 1' from the edge of the water. Was an awesome time! Here's the largest fish of the day. You can see just how close to shore I am. Because it was so windy, I placed the anchor on the shore behind some rocks in order to stay stationary. If I didn't, I was sailing away, fast.
Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 8.00.55 PM.png
Cheers, and tight lines!

-Pat

p.s Barrett tickets are on sale again after a glitch yesterday.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Hodges was Hot (and the weather, too)

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Hell yeah brother! The jig has been the juice up there for me too. Last weekend I pulled 5 in 20 minutes on a black jig.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Great job out there. It was tough there for me yesterday. Only got 5 fish from 6-3:30.
Oh Da Shiz
Pro Angler

Post by Oh Da Shiz »

Awesome repot, jig fishing can be a lot of fun at Hodges.

I have had some of my best counts in the least amount of time fishing from 5 pm to 7:45-8pm during the summer especially in the month of August and that's fishing a 300 yard stretch too. There's something to be said about those golden hours.