Catching up: San V, El Cap and Murray

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Catching up: San V, El Cap and Murray

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Figured I’d update on what’s being going on. Some words to corroborate with all the pictures I posted in the catch thread.

As I mentioned there, February and the first couple weekends of March were brutal for me. I lost that big fish at Cap and didn’t get another bite till the first weekend of March. Skunk streak carried on until..

3/25-3/26 San V:
The skunk streak ends with a limit on the 25th. Took me about 20 minutes from launch to hook up on my first Senko fish of the day. Ended up with a limit plus of Senko and dropshot fish both days, and with almost as many fish breaking off in the trees. You basically had to lift up and start winding as soon as the Rod rip loaded or that fish was going to be back in the trees and you weren’t getting them out of there. A lot of fun; a lot of fat, 2-3lb fish and a few little clones too.

4/1 El Cap:
Got there about 3pm and focused on the flooded bushes, too much wind to effectively fish a weightless Senko so dropshot did the work. Got a mess of fish - about half of them 60’ or so off the bank and the other half up pretty damn shallow at the bases of those flooded bushes. Plucked a bunch of solid 1.5-2.5lb fish. Last fish of the day bit and took me straight into the bush she was hanging out at the base of. I thought for sure I’d lose her but I kept the pressure on her, grabbed the spool and somehow got her out of there. Had to hydroplane her over a couple more bushes on the way in. Ended up being a solid 3.5+. Lb fish! A fun little shore bang.

4/2 Murray:
Went fishing with a buddy who has the latest and greatest stuff and got to see ActiveTarget in person. We chased schooling bait around the middle of the lake and caught a whole bunch of fat 2-3lb fish. They were FAT so who knows, could’ve been some 4s in there too. Super fun trip getting to do something I hadn’t experienced before.

4/8 San V:
Conditions seemed like they’d be perfect, water temp was 63, but no really active feeding fish at least in the coves. Managed to grind out a few dropshot fish. Wind made casting accurately a pain and as we all know San V is very snaggy.

4/9 El Cap:
Beautiful morning and again, seemingly perfect conditions. All I brought was a spinning rig with a backup in the car in case my leader knot popped (and it did) and a small bag with weights, hooks and a few bags of Roboworms. Got a dropshot fish early and had a lot of bed bites where the bait was spit before you could even reel down on the fish. Had some weight eaters too. Managed to grind out a couple more before 10:30ish and went home to relax the rest of the day.

I feel like I should buy stock in Roboworm and Nako tungsten but that’s the cost of fishing finesse in and around cover.

Hopefully soon the bite will pop off and they will start eating the fun stuff where you don’t need to have FFS to find em.

A few highlights, since I posted a ton of stuff in the catch pic thread already:
BE6D8EC3-AED4-4848-A7BE-9BE3EB4D427A.jpeg
2538E566-5978-494A-B694-6430BD923118.jpeg
B469E49E-9405-4D28-9FB8-B3643BFABDF8.jpeg
A3A334DE-31B6-4385-9820-1E2FA76B728E.jpeg
4638C20F-E2D2-4001-B9AE-6E954BC7A6DD.jpeg
9425351E-7EEE-4BD1-8AD5-B0E02182851F.jpeg
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Catching up: San V, El Cap and Murray

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Can’t leave out the nice one I pulled out of the bushes at Cap
Attachments