A-Rigs

Use this forum ONLY for topics that do not fit in any of the other forums below.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

A-Rigs

Post by VinnyBass »

I rarely have thrown an A-Rig when bass fishing. Being kind of an impatient fellow, I guess not getting immediate results have put using them kind of on a back burner. I just have so many other bass baits that I actually may have not given the A-Rig much of a chance. I am guessing that there are plenty of you out there probably who may thrown them more consistently and probably have had great results. Anyway kind of recently, I dusted a few off (Yum Jr. Flash Mob)that I rigged up and had some results which is why I am posting this.
I guess I wanted to see other than if bass are active busting shad what determines when you guys out there decided to throw one?
Do you retrieve it fast or slow or Is there a best time...for example,... early morning or do you just randomly decide to toss one?

I know many like to keep their fishing techniques quiet, but any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. :-)

A few random pics...no whoppers....but I bet some of you guys have caught some healthy ones.
IMG_3150.PNG
IMG_3458.PNG
Arig.PNG
IMG_2654.jpeg
IMG_5534.PNG
Even smaller bass like an A-Rig...ha ha
IMG_3392.jpeg
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
1Fishdude
Angler

Re: A-Rigs

Post by 1Fishdude »

I hate to state the obvious but by the looks of your pics especially the double hook up you dont need help just use it more.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

There is always something to learn no matter how many years a person has fished. Probably using it more will help like you said as finally catching some random bass is fun, but just wanted to see if anyone had more insight to share on some of their techniques or on when they decide to tie one on.
Everydog
Extreme Angler

Post by Everydog »

I have had good runs with them fishing past cover when that is right, but not on windy points like you are supposed to. I have never done well with a- rigs in "open" water or seen anyone who has as you see on youtube. That doesn't mean people are not killing it like that locally. I suppose it would work on busters, anything does a lot of times, but I never did that.

It looks like you caught fish in open water, Vinny. I probably never threw it in the right open water. I was on a hungry mega school once, the entire water column, 10-30 feet deep, was full of bass and crappie for something like an acre. I didn't own or have experience with an a-rig at that time. I was fishing a fluke with a 5/0 hook and when I caught a few surprise crappie on the fluke, I put a spinner on and caught as many as I could carry back to the car and went back to bass. What if I had had an a-rig?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

I will never forget decades ago seeing a guy at El Cap pulling in bass after bass and had at least 4 or 5 double hook-ups in North end. He was throwing an A-Rig and nobody else(4 or 5 boats near him) was catching anything. I just had to get a couple of those. I tried A-Rigs several times and just never had any luck so they never became part of baits to toss through the years. Last year I finally caught a few and then this year decided to toss them a few times here and there and probably not often enough. The fish I caught were random and I guess I just wanted to see what experiences others have had using them.
Tight lines
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I fish them a lot. This is all based on my opinion and results…Speed varies per a rig. The slower the better. I use the biggest phenix crank rod they make which makes a huge difference in casting and hook up. Control the landing on the cast so they don’t turn over and tangle. With a long cast, about halfway through the retrieve, I’ll hold tension and let it fall down in the water column then finish retrieve. A lot of fish hit it on that mid retrieve sink.
I’ve also experimented with worm hooks only, jig heads, heavier jig heads on bottom etc. Big bait in center back with all smaller baits. All have advantages and disadvantages
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Everydog wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:07 am I have had good runs with them fishing past cover when that is right, but not on windy points like you are supposed to. I have never done well with a- rigs in "open" water or seen anyone who has as you see on youtube. That doesn't mean people are not killing it like that locally. I suppose it would work on busters, anything does a lot of times, but I never did that.

It looks like you caught fish in open water, Vinny. I probably never threw it in the right open water. I was on a hungry mega school once, the entire water column, 10-30 feet deep, was full of bass and crappie for something like an acre. I didn't own or have experience with an a-rig at that time. I was fishing a fluke with a 5/0 hook and when I caught a few surprise crappie on the fluke, I put a spinner on and caught as many as I could carry back to the car and went back to bass. What if I had had an a-rig?
I guess I threw them mostly in open water in fear of losing them in cover...ha ha
Maybe I should try them on a windy point as I have heard about that before. Thanks and tight lines :-)
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

camobass wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:05 am I fish them a lot. This is all based on my opinion and results…Speed varies per a rig. The slower the better. I use the biggest phenix crank rod they make which makes a huge difference in casting and hook up. Control the landing on the cast so they don’t turn over and tangle. With a long cast, about halfway through the retrieve, I’ll hold tension and let it fall down in the water column then finish retrieve. A lot of fish hit it on that mid retrieve sink.
I’ve also experimented with worm hooks only, jig heads, heavier jig heads on bottom etc. Big bait in center back with all smaller baits. All have advantages and disadvantages
Thanks @camobass for the tips. I really appreciate it and I think I work them in too fast thinking they are a group of shad swimming fast in fear of getting eaten. It is an interesting rig to say the least. I guess there are just so many baits out there and sometimes I have to just stick to one until it hopefully produces or it is back in the tackle bag or box...until next time..ha ha
Tight lines :-)
Dima
Angler

Post by Dima »

That's a lot of bells and whistles in one rig! I can't imagine losing it, that would be a disaster.
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

Can’t really fish it too fast, especially in warmer water. I fish straight braid around heavy cover. Might get fewer bites but I can bend a hook out and not lost $30 when it snags a stump. I’ve fished them a lot. Caught a lot of catfish on em at El cap. Imagine having drag ripped on the strike, only to have the fish start rolling and sliming up your line because it’s not the giant bass you thought it was! Caught way more fish in open water than otherwise. Works better with slight chop so they can’t get the best look at it from below, same with sun. I’ve “long lined” them and slowly dragged bottom in 25’ with success also. Vinny, with as much time as you spend at Murray, you’ve never seen or heard of a guy throwing one with hudds?! Mind blown!!
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

If your goal is to catch one 4llbs or bigger, an a-rig is as good an option as any out there
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

I got a few, need to throw them more.....
Thanks for the write-up Vincent....