Rocky Shorelines - Calico Bass May 22

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Rocky Shorelines - Calico Bass May 22

Post by blackcloud9 »

Walked down to a favorite beach spot to fish a weighted weedless swimbait (shown) along the sand/rock shoreline here, with much smaller surf today.

The recent south swells have migrated tons of sand north on my beach, and have unburied the local acres of eel grass - which is all dead and drifting now after being buried with sand all winter.

Washed-ashore rotting eel grass clumps support entire food chains including sand hopper shrimp and beach flies, smelt, schools of perch! The summer food chain is kicking into gear this week.

Within 10 minutes and 10 casts at sunset, I caught two calicos, with the biggest about 14 inches. Surprised by the violent aggressive strikes in shallow water on both of them.

There were lots of birds diving just offshore earlier in the day, and I just may get the Ghostbuster speargun out and go have a look around tomorrow!
Attachments
20230522_193306.jpg
20230522_192942.jpg
20230522_192923.jpg
My Kayak Fishing Photos
https://LarryL.com/photos
Hook1fred
Angler

Re: Rocky Shorelines - Calico Bass May 22

Post by Hook1fred »

Love seeing your salt reports again. Really enjoy your LJ kayak reports
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

The water is starting to warm up ;)
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

Nicely done; thanks for the report. πŸ‘
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

Nice fishing, pics and report
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

vdisney wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2023 2:07 am The water is starting to warm up ;)
@vdisney would be nice to see some of your famous surf fishing shark reports
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Addition - Sunset Calico Bass May 23

Three more fun little calico bass last night, fishing the weedlines until after sunset missed a few short strikes, one of these days there may be a halibut around ....
Attachments
Three Calico at Beach Sunset 05-23-23.JPG
My Kayak Fishing Photos
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

foulhook wrote: ↑Wed May 24, 2023 6:44 am
vdisney wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2023 2:07 am The water is starting to warm up ;)
@vdisney would be nice to see some of your famous surf fishing shark reports

This was last Sunday, first time in three years I chased the 'toothy critters'

nanewnanew
Angler

Post by nanewnanew »

blackcloud9 wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 9:45 pm Walked down to a favorite beach spot to fish a weighted weedless swimbait (shown) along the sand/rock shoreline here, with much smaller surf today.

The recent south swells have migrated tons of sand north on my beach, and have unburied the local acres of eel grass - which is all dead and drifting now after being buried with sand all winter.

Washed-ashore rotting eel grass clumps support entire food chains including sand hopper shrimp and beach flies, smelt, schools of perch! The summer food chain is kicking into gear this week.

Within 10 minutes and 10 casts at sunset, I caught two calicos, with the biggest about 14 inches. Surprised by the violent aggressive strikes in shallow water on both of them.

There were lots of birds diving just offshore earlier in the day, and I just may get the Ghostbuster speargun out and go have a look around tomorrow!
This was really helpful, thanks for the info on how all that eel grass washes up this time of year.

Did your weedless rig in the photos manage to cut through it pretty well (besides the obvious success), or do you just move around until you find a relatively clean patch?
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

nanewnanew wrote: ↑Fri May 26, 2023 10:55 pm This was really helpful, thanks for the info on how all that eel grass washes up this time of year.

Did your weedless rig in the photos manage to cut through it pretty well (besides the obvious success), or do you just move around until you find a relatively clean patch?
The main reason I use this rig and the dropshot fluke around here is that they're not only WEEDLESS but also GRASSLESS. A Warbait head is weedless but picks up dead grass like crazy. Grassless is another level of weedless - for when there is a lot of floating or drifting dead eel grass. Occasionally I'll get a piece of rotting grass that wraps the line and holds onto the bullet weight, but, its 90% clean casts. If I feel any drag, I can rip it clean with a rod-tip 'snap and slack' and then, resume swimming.

For lighter rigs, I use this Owner 1/8th "Bullet Type" hook with smaller baits.
Attachments
20230321_103425.jpg
20230305_155047.jpg
My Kayak Fishing Photos
nanewnanew
Angler

Post by nanewnanew »

blackcloud9 wrote: ↑Sat May 27, 2023 9:46 am
nanewnanew wrote: ↑Fri May 26, 2023 10:55 pm This was really helpful, thanks for the info on how all that eel grass washes up this time of year.

The main reason I use this rig and the dropshot fluke around here is that they're not only WEEDLESS but also GRASSLESS. A Warbait head is weedless but picks up dead grass like crazy. Grassless is another level of weedless - for when there is a lot of floating or drifting dead eel grass. Occasionally I'll get a piece of rotting grass that wraps the line and holds onto the bullet weight, but, its 90% clean casts. If I feel any drag, I can rip it clean with a rod-tip 'snap and slack' and then, resume swimming.

For lighter rigs, I use this Owner 1/8th "Bullet Type" hook with smaller baits.
Makes sense. Total weight (bullet + hook) around 1/4 oz?
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

The smaller bullet type (1/0) hook has a fixed weight at the eye like a sled head. I use those for the slimmer profile baits and when there is no wind. Total weight 1/8 oz.

The bigger profile rig uses a combo of a slip bullet weight and the Gamakatsu (3/0) weighted hook. The slip weight I use depends on conditions, obviously lighter goes through sunken grass better. Light is 1/8 slider + 1/8 hook, heavier is 1/4 slider + 1/8 hook. Casting with 8-strand 15 lb. braid for distance.
Attachments
20230527_151602.jpg
My Kayak Fishing Photos
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

blackcloud9 wrote: ↑Sat May 27, 2023 3:29 pm The smaller bullet type (1/0) hook has a fixed weight at the eye like a sled head. I use those for the slimmer profile baits and when there is no wind. Total weight 1/8 oz.

The bigger profile rig uses a combo of a slip bullet weight and the Gamakatsu (3/0) weighted hook. The slip weight I use depends on conditions, obviously lighter goes through sunken grass better. Light is 1/8 slider + 1/8 hook, heavier is 1/4 slider + 1/8 hook. Casting with 8-strand 15 lb. braid for distance.
Thank you for the info, great information
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

vdisney wrote: ↑Sun May 28, 2023 4:18 am Thank you for the info, great information
There are lots of HowTo tips and videos online, and while I have created a lot of kayak-related content, I have shared little about 20 years on my slice of shoreline paradise in south La Jolla.

However, there is tons of good surf-fishing content online:

http://www.fishthesurf.com/

https://surffishingsocalsd.com/

Specifically, for weedy conditions ideas, check out the article here:
https://surffishingsocalsd.com/5-tips-f ... h-seaweed/
Last edited by blackcloud9 on Sun May 28, 2023 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Kayak Fishing Photos
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

A few more calicos yesterday, and again tonight. With the evenings having progressively higher tides toward the full moon Saturday, the saltwater washes into new dry sand and seaweed each evening and abundant sand critters wash out as chum for the baitfish.

20230530_195204.jpg

20230531_192337.jpg
20230531_184334.jpg
20230530_192837.jpg

Even mixed it up a bit with the finesse dropshot
20230531_201929.jpg

BTW, I've been posting a bit more on the freshwater side lately all of these very recent:

Redear San Vicente Collage May 2023.jpeg
My Kayak Fishing Photos