Anyone have any hints on Diamond Valley Lake?

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Anyone have any hints on Diamond Valley Lake?

Post by Early release »

I'm taking my youngest son there this weekend and we rented one of their bass boats. Just looking for hints, since I don't know that lake at all.
risentidefishing
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone have any hints on Diamond Valley Lake?

Post by risentidefishing »

Light Line is the key at DVL. I wouldn’t be fishing anything above 7lb on finesse setups. Can’t go wrong with a drop shot there. Just make sure you have weedless hooks as the stick ups there can eat some tackle. I like the Roboworm Rebarb hooks. Check the backs of coves for late spawners and if not fish the Points and Secondary points in 10-25ft of water
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

They have some big striper in there that you can target on heavier gear although they're usually more keyed in on eating those trout. You can try trolling big trout looking rapalas or even bring frozen bait to try for catfish and or striper (forgot what the striper like; anchovies?) if you only have heavier set ups.
Hook1fred
Angler

Post by Hook1fred »

If the wind picks up find the most windy back and fish a jerk bait. I’ve had some incredible days ripping 30+ fish off a windy bank.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what happens.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

How about that Fish report?
By the way I fish totally different than risentidefishing. I use 30 braid and 8 feet of 15 Flourocarbon Leader and throw 5-8 inch Swimbaits almost exclusively. Hook1Fred is right about the windward banks, but also look for wind blowing across points. The Fish burrow right in there and they are big, fat and sassy. I have always done well there but don’t get to fish it often because they don’t allow my giant destroyer of a Kayak(PA 14) on there, even though I caught Bluefin off it last Summer off Newport. Idiocy! My Boat buddies don’t like fishing there when Perris is so easy. Every once in a while I sneak in on a back seat of some killer Bass Boats. I’m working on a way to legally target those Flatheads. When I get it down I promise to share. We’re close with some deep trolling techniques they use in Santee Cooper Reservoir, but with heavily juiced (Dr Juice) injected Swimbaits instead of bait.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Well, we went today and the report is my son and I had a very nice time chatting. However not great fishing success for us. One three pounder and that was it. It was the dropshot that worked for me. I'm a big fan of the jerkbait, but they just weren't having any interest in mine today. I did learn some of the place and have a plan for the next trip. The depthfinder on the rental was a lot of fun. Other than telling us that there were a frightening number of fish down there, we could be 5 feet from shore and it would vary from 10 feet to 120 feet deep. So that was pretty much non-information.

Saw a pretty good size catfish sunning himself against a rock in 15 or so feet of water. Also saw a carp that you might have been able to land a plane on the back of.