Hodges

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
self fish
Angler

Hodges

Post by self fish »

Will Hodges ever reopen to shoreline,tube, and kayak fishing like they promised or is the city faking us out again? I doubt it will ever happen again in our lifetime. Can’t believe how much they expect fishermen to pay to use their lakes but other recreation at the lake is free. They should charge a use fee for other recreation users at the lakes because they take the parking spots away from the fishermen who have to pay to fish an outrageous amount just to have the close spots to park taken by some freeloading persons.sorry for the left turn man.
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Re: Hodges

Post by TaBASSco »

Not only do other recreationalists take up parking, but they also take up spots that are some of the best fishing spots. I have seen artists set up an easel right on a rocky point to sit for a few hours to paint a portrait of the landscape. Other times people come down with a portable grill and their little kids so that they can do two things that aren't allowed, simultaneously using an open grill way from a designated picnic area, and letting their kids play and swim in the lake. Very annoying.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

I hope they do open it soon, I really don't know who to contact about this but I'm sure whomever it is has been getting berated by bass club leaders and members that are extremely angry (as are most seeing how it went down at San V).

There have been people fishing there everyday anyways, guess it's worth the risk and fine
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

The City claims they can't charge the joggers, walkers, and picnickers to use the City lakes..but it's perfectly fine to charge the fisherman! The lake Rangers claim those walkers and picnic people are their biggest pain to deal with..so why do the fisherman have to pay for all those people's services??? We surely can't be just paying for a few lousy trout that they barely stock in a couple of the lakes! My all time favorite lake users are the parents that teach their kids to skip rocks right where you're fishing..followed closely by the kids that throw rocks at the ducks and geese....losers! As long as the fishermen have no voice at the City Council, nothing will change!! Well, I guess they could jack up the permits even more! County Supervisor Joel Andersen talks a good story, but can't even get our closed days back!
Dima
Angler

Post by Dima »

I've moved to SD from Oregon and I was really surprised to see that most lakes charge a fee to fish there. I guess it's a California thing.
In Oregon all you need is a general fishing license and you can fish most any body of water without having to pay any additional fees. Of course if you are targeting salmonid, sturgeon or shellfish you have to buy a tag but that's about it.
self fish
Angler

Post by self fish »

I spoke with the manager of the concession/store that sells food and permits and she said that they were stocking up for the Hodges reopening that was going to be happening soon.that was 2 months ago and I told her that she was full of it and we will never see Hodges open up again in our lifetime.I hope that I’m wrong about that but I am not optimistic about that lake coming back. Just when it started to get better and fish were biting it seems like the city has thrown another curveball that denies fishermen access to some good fishing spots.why do they claim it is going to open up to let us down and not? It’s just the biggest bummer.
Oh Da Shiz
Pro Angler

Post by Oh Da Shiz »

I rode Hodges today around 10:45 and notice that the banner was being put up at the concession stand, so I asked the all important question about opening. The unofficial/official word on the street (parking lot) is May 31st, Hodges will be open for fishing! The launch ramp will not be open, so no private boats and it'll be like this for a very, very long time.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Oh Da Shiz wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:28 pm I rode Hodges today around 10:45 and notice that the banner was being put up at the concession stand, so I asked the all important question about opening. The unofficial/official word on the street (parking lot) is May 31st, Hodges will be open for fishing! The launch ramp will not be open, so no private boats and it'll be like this for a very, very long time.
Oh boy! I can’t wait. But I guess I’ll have to. Thanks for the update.
BassbruiserDylan
Angler

Post by BassbruiserDylan »

Oh Da Shiz wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:28 pm I rode Hodges today around 10:45 and notice that the banner was being put up at the concession stand, so I asked the all important question about opening. The unofficial/official word on the street (parking lot) is May 31st, Hodges will be open for fishing! The launch ramp will not be open, so no private boats and it'll be like this for a very, very long time.
Awesome!!
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. They said it was supposed to open two other times but never did. I obviously would like it to be back open but I can't count on what was said by Rocky Mountain Recreation, they're just a sub contractor for the city.
Hook1fred
Angler

Post by Hook1fred »

Hope they do open on the 31st. That’s the closest lake to me and nice spot to fish on the way home from work.
Baja_Traveler
Angler

Post by Baja_Traveler »

From what I heard, the dam is toast and needs to be entirely replaced. I don't see it coming back for years...
erniegorham
Angler

Post by erniegorham »

The dam is bad and there won't be boats on Hodges for the next... decade or so? Who knows.

The opening people are talking about is just for tubes/kayaks and shore fisherman. It was supposed to open this spring, but yeah not sure it'll really happen. Hope it does.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

That's weird though.. the dam has been in terrible shape for over a decade and they even thought it was going to break before the last El Nino when the water was dumping over the spillway. It's starting to sound like there isn't any really good investigative work being done.. then again, the people in charge couldn't change a flat on their car let alone tell you what quagga mussels are either
BigDaddyTR21
Angler

Post by BigDaddyTR21 »

I remember when Hodges reopened back in 1976, it was closed for many years prior to the reopening. We use to be able to walk around the lake and the narrows had no water. I think it was closed for about 20 years prior to that opening. I sure hope it's not another 20 years before they reopen again.
TommyP
Angler

Post by TommyP »

FYI.....for any questions regarding the City lakes call Bryan Norris @ 619.668.2014. Please remember to be respectful. Ever since the "old school" left or retired(Jim Brown, Larry Botroff, Hugh Marx, etc) the city lakes programs have gone to s..t! It has long been felt by the City Council members that because the hikers, bikers, bread feeding duck fools, etc. pay taxes they have a right to use the facilities for free. Don't get me started. Hopefully the County will take over managing the lakes and if so it is my understanding the 1 day month closures will go away, stay tuned.

TommyP
BassbruiserDylan
Angler

Post by BassbruiserDylan »

It opens the 31st! Check the lake Hodges Facebook page. All the info there .
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Hook1fred
Angler

Post by Hook1fred »

Awesome. I’ll be there 2 times a week with my fly rod
professionull
Mega Pro Angler