6/28-SD River

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

6/28-SD River

Post by VinnyBass »

Yesterday, I loaded my smaller kayak and headed over to Lake Murray in hopes of fishing only a few hours before the heat arrives. Aware that they were lowering the water level like they do every year for the 4th of July Fireworks show, I just assumed the ramp would still have a little water on it. I was wrong as the water was now on the other side of the ramp.Being lazy and did not want to try to walk over the rocks or possibly fall and drag the bottom of my kayak, I decided to just head home. I had lots of errand to do and got a lot done despite the set back at the lake.
This morning I traveled light as I loaded the same smaller kayak only with some plastic worms, creature and a few craw baits and just 2 rods. I figured that it was going to be another hot day so fish the morning for a few hours and head home.
Missed 3 bites on plastic worms....just some tap, tap, tap and when I set the hook nothing was there. I wonder if they were bluegill or mini bass. Anyway, switched over to a brush-hog and landed a bass in between some branches and then later landed a pretty small bass on a craw bait. It was around 9 and was getting hot fast so worked just a little more and headed home. It was fun to get on the water even just for a short time and very refreshing on
the drive home with the A/C blasting in my truck :-)
june 28 river.PNG
6 18 river.PNG
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Re: 6/28-SD River

Post by Dannicus »

Always love your reports brother. Good to know about Murray. That's not a regular brush hog, what kind and of creature bait is it if you don't mind sharing?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

You can get Brush Hogs with craws now. They are called Brush Craws.
IMG_3342.jpg
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Classic! Brush Craws, LOL.
Way to get out there and keep on getting a line wet!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

KillinTime wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:50 pm Classic! Brush Craws, LOL.
Way to get out there and keep on getting a line wet!
Just because of those little craws, I ordered four packs of them from Tackle Warehouse thinking the bass are definitely going to see
the difference or am I just too gullible? ....:-)

Bass don't like these anymore...
IMG_3509.jpg
Bass will like these baits with craws much better...ha ha
Unknown.jpeg
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

Hey, I’m going to get some brush craws also. They look ideal for Minnesota.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Big C wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:05 am Hey, I’m going to get some brush craws also. They look ideal for Minnesota.
You slay the bass back there already and the brush craws would be almost like cheating.....ha ha
Tight lines always buddy. :-)
1Fishdude
Angler

Post by 1Fishdude »

hey gullible I mean Vinny nice report. You better order 8 packs.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

1Fishdude wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:04 pm hey gullible I mean Vinny nice report. You better order 8 packs.
What is funny is that I already have probably well over 100 brush hogs from decades ago that have sat idle in my garage.
They used to be the go-to bait at El Cap, San V, Morena, etc....and just became another bait that somehow became forgotten
as so many other baits have taken their place. I even picked up a few packs of pumpkin colored ones last year thinking I may use them and never opened them. I usually throw crawdad type baits or creature baits but somehow decided to toss a brush hog and started to pick up a few bass. After more bass started to gobble them up and way my mind works, I suddenly was on the TW website and had to get some more brush hogs in different colors and then saw the brush craws and.....well you know what happened next....ha ha
I wonder how long before they become idle first in my boat and then end up back in the garage? ha ha.
vito1023
Angler

Post by vito1023 »

Hey Vinnie, this Vito1023 I use to be on the old SDFISH but I had duel knee replacements and the old site was down and I didn’t need it because I wasn’t able to fish, but I miss the posts, I thought the old site was done for and I rediscovered it a few months back and have been lurking. I been thinking about doing some shore fishing and I was going to check out MURRAY, I live in the Mission Valley now so that lake is pretty close I went to check it out the other day and saw that the water was really low, like really low, as I read your post it said they do this every year, I was curious why? I was hoping to hit the baseball fields or that cove by Baltimore street.
So I’m wondering if it would be worth shore fishing soon and wondered when they bring water back up or do they, how long till the fish take to get acclimated? Thanks for all the help you’ve given me
Vito
I was wondering why there doesn’t seem like there’s many posts are people posting elsewhere? I always like the people on this site for fresh or salt water I miss Werfless and others. I’m happy there’s not much of the politics anymore.
Have a great HOLIDAY and FISH ON
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Hey Vito
Glad you found the site.
There are bass to be caught when the water is low if you venture down to the water over the rocks and through a little bit of mud.
Over near the baseball fields is always a pretty good spot to hit. I remember a number of guys over there were doing really well
the other year when the water was really low. Bass are eating lots of shad and there is some topwater action in the mornings
if you happen to be in the right spot. The spots change as shad and bass move around, but over near the fishing pier some bass
have seemed to be jumping a little bit more in that area. Not sure what to tell you aboutif the fishing will be better with the
water up, but they will not be rising it till after the 4th of July and it will probably not go back to the levels from a few years ago
I have been told so that sucks. Just be care over the rocks that are slippery with mud and algae along the shore.
Tight lines and great to hear form you.
V
Fishhunter
Angler

Post by Fishhunter »

I just read that Miramar will be open for launching this weekend July 6th. Might be fun to get out there and see how hungry they are 🤔
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Fishhunter wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:41 pm I just read that Miramar will be open for launching this weekend July 6th. Might be fun to get out there and see how hungry they are 🤔
Up there, you have to set the hook quick after a bite with plastic worms otherwise they’ll be a lot of gut hooked fish. Lots of those bass in the
1 1/2 - 2lb range swallow the baits down really fast.