Great Day On The Big Bay!

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Great Day On The Big Bay!

Post by Pourboy »

San Diego Bay Fishing: Catch Fish All Day!!!

OK, so the doldrums of summer have begun at the lakes and bass fishing is hit and miss. After having an absolutely amazing spring time fishing the lakes and getting lots of nice bass I figured it was time to head back to the bays. One thing I absolutely love about San Diego fishing is the diversity of what is available to fish.

I decided to hit my old stomping grounds of Tidelands park in Coronado And figured I would get whatever was biting and just try to make a video about lure fishing in general for the beginner to intermediate fisherman. The day started out with an absolutely gorgeous sunrise over the Coronado bridge and I was rewarded within one minute of fishing to get a spotted bass on a new spinner bait . Headed out to the flats near Coronado Island underneath the bridge. Got a couple more there and then headed under the bridge over to the south Bay near the Navy base. To my surprise early in the morning the Corvina bite was better than the spotted bay bass bite.

I was fishing a small underpin with a Z man trick shots 4 inch in the game changer color. I was trying to show that you can catch Bass with the same baits in the lakes as in the bay. The first Corvina that I got on that bait was a 20 inch fish and I caught that on 8 pound test. What a super fun fight and challenge! I ended up getting five more Corvina none bigger than the first one, but I did end up switching to 4 pound test and an ultralight and got some on that which was absolutely amazing!

I headed around the corner near Holiday Island, but couldn’t get any love back in that area. I turned around and went back by the flats near the Navy base and the bite was back on again. On a surprise note I ended up getting three needlefish on that day, and lost several more. It was a very unique bite with most of the fish within 5 feet of the surface Including the spotted bass. When the wind finally picked up, the fish dropped a little deeper I went with a heavier, underspin and continued to catch fish on the gulp Minnow which is kind of my go to bait when everything else stops working. I could not get fish on the A-rig, Crank bait, lipless or anything else. However, when I went back to the underspin And Gulp minnow The bite was on within a minute. Total for the day I lost count of spotted Bay Bass, got six Corvina, three needle fish, one sand Bass, and one halibut. I left by noon and was completely satisfied with the day on the bay I’m so happy to live in San Diego!

If you feel like checking out more of the details, you can watch the video please note all the fish did not make the video and I had to cut 10 minutes off of good content just to make it a reasonable length. I guess I should’ve made a 2 part Series. Cheers!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Great Day On The Big Bay!

Post by JWall »

Love how those sub pounders almost rip the rod outta your hands. And every photo angle is a postcard 👍
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

It was a super fun day for sure. The background made it easy to have a postcard background. I do love light line fishing though. Even the smaller ones feel like monsters!
Boosh
Angler

Post by Boosh »

I love watching your video's :)

I went out on the bay yesterday for the first time in years. Got on the water at 9am and went to these very same spots (based on your earlier video) with my 6 yr old grandson who's never been on the bay. Still don’t have all the SW gear I need, been mostly fishing live worms at the lakes. Wind was pretty strong and pushing my boat on a swift drift, got a few bites near the moored boats but no love. I wanted him to catch something! So we ran to the bait barge, supper snotty/windy but he loved all the sites, seals, boats, helicopters, etc. Got a Kayak scoop for the small livewell on my aluminum and shot to the jetty...but it was even snottier out there so came back fished by the bait barge, navy side of bay...still no love on some pretty big sardines. Went over by Tom Ham's and finally got into a drift that was hitting. Couple nice size spotties and lots of halibut bites. I didn't have any treble hooks to make a chaser for the halibut's so wasn't able to snag one...ran to Turner's today for weights and treble hooks. After watching this video I’ll be ordering some of those lures and bringing some lighter tackle! Have you done a video of your float? Now that I’ve seen it at the end of this video I’m curious on the build! 😊
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Boosh wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:51 pm I love watching your video's :)

I went out on the bay yesterday for the first time in years. Got on the water at 9am and went to these very same spots (based on your earlier video) with my 6 yr old grandson who's never been on the bay. Still don’t have all the SW gear I need, been mostly fishing live worms at the lakes. Wind was pretty strong and pushing my boat on a swift drift, got a few bites near the moored boats but no love. I wanted him to catch something! So we ran to the bait barge, supper snotty/windy but he loved all the sites, seals, boats, helicopters, etc. Got a Kayak scoop for the small livewell on my aluminum and shot to the jetty...but it was even snottier out there so came back fished by the bait barge, navy side of bay...still no love on some pretty big sardines. Went over by Tom Ham's and finally got into a drift that was hitting. Couple nice size spotties and lots of halibut bites. I didn't have any treble hooks to make a chaser for the halibut's so wasn't able to snag one...ran to Turner's today for weights and treble hooks. After watching this video I’ll be ordering some of those lures and bringing some lighter tackle! Have you done a video of your float? Now that I’ve seen it at the end of this video I’m curious on the build! 😊
Yeah, when that wind picks up I usually pack up. Thanks for checking out the videos and glad you're enjoying them. Here's a link to the tube setup. Let me know if you have any questions on that let me know.

1Fishdude
Angler

Post by 1Fishdude »

Once again a great entertaining video like all of yours. Got a question about you spinnerbait fishing, in fresh or salt you dont seem to use a trailer on your spinnerbaits and I was wondering why?
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

So a buddy of mine gave me a few Long Drinks that he was given by the distributer as samples. I expected them to not be for me. Boy was I wrong! They are amazing. Funny thing is this was just a couple weeks ago. Highly recommend!

Thanks for the video. That was a good Corvina bite you got on=) I heard there is a good population of them in the South Bay the last couple years.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Boosh wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:51 pm I love watching your video's :)

Here are a couple of sights I use before I go offshore. They are the 2 best I have found.
Remember, on the ocean, when the "Wind blows from the South, Fish shut the Mouth". AKA Costal Eddy. Pick you days wisely=)

https://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/static/scal/6/wind
https://www.windy.com/?32.069,-116.334,7
galen
Pro Angler

Post by galen »

Another great morning. I gotta get out there earlier! A lot easier to fish without all the wind.
Glency
Angler

Post by Glency »

Thanks for the videos and knowledge beefshaman. I recently got a kayak and hit tidelands often. Love fishing there. It's intimidating if you're new but you're right, it's not a big deal.More fuckery in MB i think.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Glency wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:45 pm Thanks for the videos and knowledge beefshaman. I recently got a kayak and hit tidelands often. Love fishing there. It's intimidating if you're new but you're right, it's not a big deal.More fuckery in MB i think.
We hit Big Bay yesterday and said more than once how different our two bays are. Maybe it’s the fishing pressure or size and depth, but I’ve always done better in BB. And I actually live right above MB but rarely launch there.