Nonstop Topwater & Jigs Action 6/16

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Nonstop Topwater & Jigs Action 6/16

Post by Pourboy »

Nonstop Topwater & Jigs! The Barrett 1-2 Punch!

OK, take two!

After just doing a full write up of the day and everything the website logged me out and I have to do it again. But that’s OK because it was such a fun day. I don’t mind telling the story again. After arriving at the gate, I met up with Early Release and was treated to a delicious breakfast in the line waiting for the gate to open. With full bellies and already a great conversation we headed down to the parking area and got out on the water. His kayak is definitely faster than my float tube with thrusters and he made it to the fishing spot well before me. as I cruised up to the entrance to Hauser I was greeted with three blowups on my baits in the first five minutes and at 5:05 AM I had my first hook up on a black buzz bait. It ended up being a 3 pound plus Bass and I knew it was gonna be a good day on the water. We headed down the shoreline with Dave picking up a few on the popper and me trying different Topwater baits. Top water is definitely not my modus operandi but if it is on, why would I not participate? I quickly went to a whopper plopper And found out that I really like using this lure. I had never used it before, but I will from here on. I ended up getting several early on that near shore and then watched Dave head out to fish the boils. I joined him out there shortly after and we got a bunch that way. It was an absolutely gorgeous morning on the water and the day was just getting better.

When the boils slowed down I headed towards shore to use my favorite jigs. I got two fish on the first two cast both around 3 pounds and then realized that my camera had turned off. I hate it when that happens! Dave came over shortly there after and I was happy to enjoy an early beverage tasting with him. He had brought a Fremont imperial oatmeal stout, and it was absolutely delicious! I would recommend this beer to anyone who likes stouts and maybe even people who don’t.

While sipping my morning beverage, I went back to the jig and got a few more fishing in about 25 feet of water outside the submerged trees. I think Dave may have felt a few of jealousy at this bite kind of like I felt watching him destroy them on the popper. He was quickly rewarded with his first jig bite, but unfortunately, it got hooked up in a tree. After getting a few more fish We headed to an area that I like to fish jigs in down the pine arm. He had to head out shortly after that, and I stayed and went further down Pine. I got a few fish on jigs and then headed back towards pigs point fishing along the way.

I was pleasantly surprised when I on a whim throughout the whopper popper again that the bite was still there in the afternoon. I don’t remember the last time I had an afternoon bite when it was hot and bright sun, but I was not arguing with success. I kept going back-and-forth between the top water and the jig and ended up losing count of how many fish I caught. I did not get them all on camera Was very happy with the day in general. I had great company, great beer, and great fishing.

On a sidenote, I recently had to get new waders and boots for my float tube. After trying a lot of different companies, I found one that had a zippered front wader and decided to give that a go. I purchased them online and after using them for a month or two I contacted the company and let them know how much I enjoyed their product. I told them I would be happy to tell people about their products as I always support, things that I like. They Decided to pass on a discount code for any of the people who would like to purchase their products at 20% off. Please note I did purchase these waiters and the only thing I get from this is the gratification of supporting a good American company.

The name of the company is Paramount Outdoors And I can say these are the highest quality waders that I have ever used. Feel free to use the discount code below if you need some or new waiting boots or any of their other products. Paragraph.

Paramount Outdoors 20% Discount Code
Beefshaman20

https://paramountoutdoors.com/
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Nonstop Topwater & Jigs Action 6/16

Post by JWall »

Hey Dave never brought beers on my boat 🤔

Great day out there Chris! Your whopper plopper retrieve caught my eye…are you actually pausing just an hair and letting it sink some or is that my imagination? I’ve always used a constant fairly quick retrieve like a buzzbait so it always stays on top of the water. Your success with it has me planning a change of tactic!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Hey that’s not good! Now he has to share with everyone! I think we learned that in elementary school. But yes, you’re right that’s exactly what I was doing. Like I said I’ve never actually fished with the bait before or even seen anyone fish with it. I heard that they were good so I picked up a couple. I was just experimenting and that retrieve seemed to work best for me. Let me know if you try it and how you do. Cheers!
Hellavate
Angler

Post by Hellavate »

Hahhha I was out there again with my Pop! I gotta come introduce myself - I got every sunday in July and quite a few saturdays. I'mma shoot you a PM, I'll bring the IPAs!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

NIce! I am still unsure which dates in July I will be out there. Hit me up for sure!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Great day on the water with you. Thanks for the tutorial on jigs. I was so excited with that fish until he clearly knew what he was working with and wrapped me around a tree. I'm going to practice a bit more.

John, apologies. I will definitely fix that on our next trip. I actually bought a new cooler this week, so I need to test it out. ;)
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Early release wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:43 pm Great day on the water with you. Thanks for the tutorial on jigs. I was so excited with that fish until he clearly knew what he was working with and wrapped me around a tree. I'm going to practice a bit more.

John, apologies. I will definitely fix that on our next trip. I actually bought a new cooler this week, so I need to test it out. ;)
No worries and just kidding. Not sure how much of an early beer drinker I actually am 😜
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

The beer we had was actually an oatmeal stout, so it's a breakfast food. It's ok. :)
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Early release wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:43 pm Great day on the water with you. Thanks for the tutorial on jigs. I was so excited with that fish until he clearly knew what he was working with and wrapped me around a tree. I'm going to practice a bit more.

My pleasure for sure. Can’t wait for the next time.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Early release wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:06 pm The beer we had was actually an oatmeal stout, so it's a breakfast food. It's ok. :)
A delicious part of this nutritious breakfast!
Wackyrig
Angler

Post by Wackyrig »

Just ordered a pair of new waders, thanks for the info and discount code.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Wackyrig wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:20 pm Just ordered a pair of new waders, thanks for the info and discount code.
That’s awesome! My pleasure. Great company and a great product. I hope that you enjoy them.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Another great video! I see your editing skill are evolving=)
That morning glass looked nice.

That lake looks healthy and full. The last time I was there it was so much lower.

You need to have some pint size Beefshaman Koozies made up to keep you beer cold while you fish. Then you could pass some out at the lakes to promote your YouTube Chanel?

Keep them coming!