6/11-Murray setback/still fished

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

6/11-Murray setback/still fished

Post by VinnyBass »

Rigged up a number of rods with baits and got my boat ready for a morning adventure to Murray. Packed my lunch and drinks and I
was on my way. I was daydreaming hoping for some top water action and then suddenly reality hit. OMG!... I totally spaced and
forgot today is the second Tuesday of the month and Murray is closed. After a few choice words, I slowly made a U-Turn and realized
I could only blame myself as I usually keep track of what lakes are open and closed. So after putting the boat away I thought I did
not want to stay home and quickly started organizing tackle, grabbing a couple rods and started loading up one of my kayaks. It was
crazy and I was running around trying not to forget anything and finally I was on my way to the SD river. I figured getting there in
the late morning is better than staying home and being cranky about Murray being closed. I honestly was a little out of it because
I did not plan to fish the river.
Anyway...to keep it simple I missed a bite deep in the cover on a Tokyo rig/senko which is always a bummer and got lucky as I avoided
the skunk when a bass inhaled my Texas rigged craw bait I flipped over a small branch. The bass put up a good fight and was
pretty fat for her size. I left pretty quickly after that and driving on the way home, I was still glad I choose to go fishing despite
the set back in the morning.
Craw craw river.png
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Re: 6/11-Murray setback/still fished

Post by KillinTime »

That bass looks like it been going to the gym=)
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Unfortunately, the lake closures will only get worse! The Mayor and City Council have discovered that they can screw the fisherman and save the money for their pet projects..the homeless and the illegal aliens.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

That's a pretty fish...did you get a weight on her? Let me guess..3.5....??
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:57 pm That's a pretty fish...did you get a weight on her? Let me guess..3.5....??
Fish was really healthy for its size and had a fat belly…… anyway not sure about the weight. To be safe I’ll guess a little over three. Highlight was not getting skunked after a bad start to the day. :-)
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

I literally made the same mistake brother, but pivoted and headed to El Cap. Nice fatty you caught there!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Who among us hasn’t been halfway down the proverbial El Monte Road on the wrong day and said “Oh Sh**!! Good job as always VB!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Dannicus wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:56 am I literally made the same mistake brother, but pivoted and headed to El Cap. Nice fatty you caught there!
I made this mistake shortly after the city decided to close Murray the second Tuesday of the month. I never made
the mistake since because I always knew to not go to Murray that day. I guess not paying attention to the calendar
made me the fool yesterday..ha ha
Funny... I was thinking I wonder if Dannicus is already there as I was driving to the lake.
Hope you had fun at Cap! :-)
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

JWall wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:53 am Who among us hasn’t been halfway down the proverbial El Monte Road on the wrong day and said “Oh Sh**!! Good job as always VB!
That would sure be a bummer heading to El Cap and realizing it was closed. I know me and think I would say at least 20, I mean 30
or more words than "Oh Sh**! :-)
That El Monte road never seems to end the older I get.
Years ago it seemed shorter...ha ha
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

That would sure be a bummer heading to El Cap and realizing it was closed. I know me and think I would say at least 20, I mean 30
[/quote]

Well fortunately San V was open so we bounced there. But two very different lakes catching-wise so it wasn’t a great day. Still better than working tho 😉
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

JWall wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:33 am That would sure be a bummer heading to El Cap and realizing it was closed. I know me and think I would say at least 20, I mean 30
Well fortunately San V was open so we bounced there. But two very different lakes catching-wise so it wasn’t a great day. Still better than working tho 😉
[/quote]

It is funny that sometimes you do not do as well when you are mentally geared up to fish one lake and then have to go to another.
A buddy and me years ago headed to San V with his boat and there was a huge tournament as we were way back on the road
beyond the parking lot below. He was not happy and and with trucks behind us he went out and unhitched his trailer and then
somehow on that small road finally make a U-turn with his truck. In the darkness me and him somehow pulled his boat trailer
around and hitched up the boat and headed to El Cap. Caught a number of small bass, but in our minds we kept thinking that
we would have caught bigger bass at San V. Still, we fished which was better than just heading home.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

VinnyBass wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:23 am
Dannicus wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:56 am I literally made the same mistake brother, but pivoted and headed to El Cap. Nice fatty you caught there!
I made this mistake shortly after the city decided to close Murray the second Tuesday of the month. I never made
the mistake since because I always knew to not go to Murray that day. I guess not paying attention to the calendar
made me the fool yesterday..ha ha
Funny... I was thinking I wonder if Dannicus is already there as I was driving to the lake.
Hope you had fun at Cap! :-)
I did! It was an excellent topwater bite!