Hodges report March 13

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Hodges report March 13

Post by Early release »

Here's my version of what Hodges was like today.

Got to the ramp there around 0700, which feeeeels late, but really isn't. No wind at all and light cloud cover. Water temp was 61F. It was pretty well attended this morning too, there were a good number of folks for a weekday. Chuck and I headed to chase the fish in the shallows in our kayaks. I got a bit ahead and started having good success on three lures, that tiny crankbait I used previously, a megabass x-70 and a KVD1.5 squarebill. The conditions were so perfect for topwater, and Chuck had some success on a popper, which is one of my favorites, but I couldn't find any takers. I went off on my own and chased the banks for a total of 17 bass, big one today was 4lbs 2 ozs, but most of them were about 2-2.5 lbs. My fun fact for the day is that 9 lb braid going to 6 lb fluoro is stronger than the frog hair hooks on those super small crankbaits I was using. I lost one large fish to line breakage, but two to the hook straightening out. Oooof. Apparently they are designed for ultralight trout fishing, so that's on me. Check the picture below, that hook broke in the fish's lip. I got it out, so she's ok.

Heard others had a good day too. Someone got an 8 pound bass and a couple of other good size ones.

Got done at about 1100 and the water temp was almost 65 F. That lake warms up fast with the sun.
Still pretty stocky and look healthy
Still pretty stocky and look healthy
Look in the center of the photo, that's my hook that broke right as I netted the fish
Look in the center of the photo, that's my hook that broke right as I netted the fish
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Hodges report March 13

Post by JWall »

Another outstanding day!! 👏
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Nice job out there. Your smile says it all.
Thanks for sharing and tight lines always. :-)
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

My second trip to Hodges and it was fun to get them on popper, did get a blow up on a frog!
Ended up with 3 bass. Biggest was 3.5 lb
Attachments
IMG_4218.jpeg
Dandiego61904
Angler

Post by Dandiego61904 »

Nice brother your out there catching them..
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Great job out there. I’m so jealous. Not making it out there this week. Can’t wait for the next session. See you on the water.