10/10-Quick SD River session

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

10/10-Quick SD River session

Post by VinnyBass »

It seemed like forever since I fished last. Tied up with lots of things to take care of as it was one thing after another and I really
needed to get back on the water. Took care of some business this morning and rushed home and figured I would head up to Murray
for a few hours in my kayak. Oh wait...I am so glad I remembered that its the second Tuesday of the month and Murray is closed.
So my plan changed and ended up at the San Diego river. Even with a late start, it felt good to be fishing again. Tried a few reaction
baits, some topwater baits and nobody will believe this, but I even tossed a frog for a few minutes and no takers. Maybe an early
start might be better for that frog so I changed over to Tokyo rig with a craw trailer. My line twitched and I pulled a small bass out
of the stick-ups. A little later I switched over to a senko trailer for a bit. I got caught daydreaming as a bass hit it maybe 2 seconds
after it hit and started taking off and I missed the hook set. You do not get a lot of chances(bites) at the river so I was bummed a
little. Then I tried something different just to mess around before I left. I tied a worm hook up my braid line and a drop shot weight
and the end, but rigged it with a crawbait and started pitching it on the edge of cover. Suddenly my line headed out towards me
and I landed a healthier bass.
I guess messing around sometimes pays off...ha ha. And that was it... 2 bass on only 3 bites. :-)
sd river tko-rig.PNG

sd river craw.PNG
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Re: 10/10-Quick SD River session

Post by Mcfish »

Nice! Caught you...fishing a dropshot!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

But, but, but I looked at it as a sturdy type of
Tokyo rig without the wire. Ok….it was basically
a drop shot rig that I hooked on a crawbait instead of a worm. I wanted to be able to pitch it in and out of the edge of cover and twitch it, and then let the crawbait sink slowly. You got pretty good eyes for your age McFish. :-)
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

That second fish was stout, or were they the same fish? 8-)

SD has a river?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Fisheromen wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:57 pm That second fish was stout, or were they the same fish? 8-)

SD has a river?
If you look at the markings on the fish, you could see it’s not the same fish. I don’t do things like that guy (and a couple others)on the previous Sdfish used to do. The SD river is a river that nobody should ever eat a fish out of… ha ha
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

The river has some nice looking fish in it! Good job!
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

A good fisherman never has to resort to photo shenanigans ... Vinny is a good fisherman!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Fisheromen wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:57 am A good fisherman never has to resort to photo shenanigans ... Vinny is a good fisherman!
I know you were just messing with me and I am pretty certain that I am the most talkative fishermen you have ever met. ha ha :-)
Tight lines buddy
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Fisheromen wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:57 pm That second fish was stout, or were they the same fish? 8-)

SD has a river?
Many moons ago I used to tube the SD river on either side of Mission Center Rd. Pretty consistent catching w some quality. Not sure how it is now but that tule line screams at me every time I drive by there!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

JWall wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:19 am

SD has a river?
Many moons ago I used to tube the SD river on either side of Mission Center Rd. Pretty consistent catching w some quality. Not sure how it is now but that tule line screams at me every time I drive by there!
I used to fish right off Texas street)before they changed the name to Qualcomm Way) decades ago before they built all the townhomes
and condos.Caught tons of bass using plastic worms, spinnerbaits and crank baits. Many times my father and I would hit it after dinner
and fish till dark.All you had to do is cast in front of the tulles with a plastic worm and bam! I had a little inflatable raft later and that
gave me more access to areas, but you could walk the shoreline south of the river from Texas street and catch all types of bass.
My biggest back then I caught on a spinnerbait and it was 6 1/4 lbs. I never caught a bass years ago that big and it looked huge! Most
bass were about 2 lbs and once in a while you would catch a 3lb'er. I could write a book on how many times I went
down there to fish especially when I started driving. Anyway....have not gone down there in years because of lack of parking
and shoreline access.