The BFs "Craze"

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Re: The BFs "Craze"

Post by KillinTime »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:58 pm I have officially entered the BFS craze. Will say - I caught around 40 bass all 10-11” (but quite girthy) on a little Megabass X-80Jr today and it was absolutely a blast. I am definitely hooked on the BFS thing now. Even little clones are a really fun fight.
Cool Bait! Looks like Loveland??
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Just_Bass wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:56 pm I have seen a lot of ppl switch to long cast spool and it is become totally different animal still very capable of 1/8 lure but more line capacity and more line choice. Just my humble observation.
Won't switching to a long cast spool make the filled spool weigh more and defeat the purpose of the ultra shallow (and thus lighter) spools that BFS reels come with?

Essentially, you're making an Aldebaran BFS into just an Aldebaran now.
Just_Bass
Pro Angler

Post by Just_Bass »

DarkShadow wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:38 am
Just_Bass wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:56 pm I have seen a lot of ppl switch to long cast spool and it is become totally different animal still very capable of 1/8 lure but more line capacity and more line choice. Just my humble observation.
Won't switching to a long cast spool make the filled spool weigh more and defeat the purpose of the ultra shallow (and thus lighter) spools that BFS reels come with?

Essentially, you're making an Aldebaran BFS into just an Aldebaran now.
Depends on what kind of spool, long cast spool still maintain light weight 5-9 grams just a little deeper arbor for more line capacity. The weight of spool combined with full mono line still less than 10 gram which to compare better than regular shallow BFS spool.
For example this spool for alphas weight only 4-5 grams but hold more line that 800 shallow spool 12 grams.
Of course once you get heavier line 8lb vs 4lb FC you won’t be able to cast super light 1/32-1/16 oz as good but if all equal line and lure lighter weight spool would be more beneficial. I sold the spool though since my alphas shallow spool can cast 1/4oz and up better.
Attachments
IMG_3313.jpeg
IMG_2616.jpeg