Del Mar 5/5 -- lots of jellyfish

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
yumBass
Angler

Del Mar 5/5 -- lots of jellyfish

Post by yumBass »

Took a break from studying for finals and went out on the beach for 2 hours this afternoon, fishing the incoming tide. There were a ton of man-o-wars. It was very slow until ~6 pm, then the bass hit less than 30 seconds after a cast. Got the spotfin shortly after, then it was dead again until i hooked onto something huge. The second i set the hook it ran straight out and i couldnt stop it. Peeled off all of my 20 lb mono from the size 4000 reel.

This is the first time i've been fully spooled; I hooked onto something in oceanside off the pier 2 weeks ago that felt like it could spool me too, but it wrapped around the piling and broke me off before i could see what it was. I plan to upgrade to a larger reel and heavier line now before going back out again
(EDIT: idk how to rotate photos so they all have weird orientations sorry)
Attachments
IMG-6979.jpg
IMG-6974.jpg
IMG_6975.jpg
IMG_6977.jpg
Lundy
Angler

Re: Del Mar 5/5 -- lots of jellyfish

Post by Lundy »

Good luck on finals man! I need to take a study break and hit the water!
Glency
Angler

Post by Glency »

Lots of at Torrey pines too. Vellela Vellela is what they are called. Related to man o war. I don’t think sting is as bad. I avoided them anyway.
yumBass
Angler

Post by yumBass »

Glency wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:32 pm Lots of at Torrey pines too. Vellela Vellela is what they are called. Related to man o war. I don’t think sting is as bad. I avoided them anyway.
i just looked it up, you're right! i was terrified of getting stung but these sound much less dangerous. Thanks for letting me know
Zhao
Pro Angler

Post by Zhao »

Dope but sorry to hear you lost the monster. How tight is your drag? 4000 size reel can usually take 15 - 20 lb drag. Tightening the drag (but not lock it) can exhaust the fish quicker and slowdown the run.
My 10000 size reel can take 50 lb drag, and I usually set it around 20 lb. When I hooked that 2 ft sheephead, it peeled a decent amount, but not too much, before stopping fighting.
Glency
Angler

Post by Glency »

yumBass wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:03 pm
Glency wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:32 pm Lots of at Torrey pines too. Vellela Vellela is what they are called. Related to man o war. I don’t think sting is as bad. I avoided them anyway.
i just looked it up, you're right! i was terrified of getting stung but these sound much less dangerous. Thanks for letting me know
I was scared too. That’s why I looked haha
yumBass
Angler

Post by yumBass »

Zhao wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:40 pm Dope but sorry to hear you lost the monster. How tight is your drag? 4000 size reel can usually take 15 - 20 lb drag. Tightening the drag (but not lock it) can exhaust the fish quicker and slowdown the run.
My 10000 size reel can take 50 lb drag, and I usually set it around 20 lb. When I hooked that 2 ft sheephead, it peeled a decent amount, but not too much, before stopping fighting.
according to tackledirect, the shimano fx4000fb can take 13 lbs of drag max, and i definitely didn't have it set to max because i was running 20 lb mono. The larger reel im gettting has 26 lbs of max drag i believe, so it should be better next time i head out.
Werfless
Angler

Post by Werfless »

Not dangerous those... Remember that drag # is just a number....