Tube Mobb Big Bass Tournament: Lake Hodges

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Hallelujah for a sunny day!

I headed out to Hodges last Sunday for the Tube Mobb Big Bass Tournament. It was a tournament for the single longest fish of the day. I had done a couple other tournaments with them, including one similar at Lake Murray. That was the only time I’ve ever fished Lake Murray, and I barely kept the skunk off. I felt much more confident on this day as I had been dialing in Lake Hodges for quite some time now. I got in line early got my gear down after getting a good parking spot and then the technical difficulties started.

One thing about adding lots of technology to fishing means there’s lots more to go wrong and I realized while trying to start off in my float tube that one of the thruster had been wrapped with braided line deep in the mechanics. I did have all the tools to fix it with me, but it took time and I was frustrated not to be out on the water at the break of dawn like everyone else. I finally got everything working well I headed out to try some of the same tactics that I’ve been working the last few weeks. Within five minutes I had my first fish on a spinner bait around 18 inches. Five minutes after that I had my second fish on the same bait and this one ended up at 19.75 inches. Already the day was looking good. That happened to be the last fish that I got on a spinner bait that day. Luckily I ended up with 12 more fish on the jig. The jig I’ve been using the last few weeks.

I ended the day with one fish at 21 1/4 inches another fish at 20 1/4 inches, and two more that were just under 20 inches. Now personally I like weighing fish more than measuring for length, but the bottom line is I just enjoy catching fish. Saw some really good other fish caught, including one fly fisherman who caught 15 bass, a bunch of Croppie , and one of the bass was over 6 pounds. All the fish were still tight to shore for everyone.

As the end of the day rolled around I did end up, throwing out a Ned rig and hooked one that felt really good. The problem was, I was in an area with lots of sticks , and that was my mistake. Seeing as I only had 6 pound test. Fish ended up breaking off, but I headed back to the tournament meeting point I found out that I had the biggest fish of the day and ended up with the win! It was a super fun day out on the water with a bunch of people meeting up with a bunch of people who just love to fish great fun talking to everyone and I can’t wait for my next day on the water.

If you want to see the details, you can watch the video. Cheers all and see you on the water!

PS I am still aggravated over the Barrett Ticketmaster fiasco. I did call the city Lakes and left a message with them with how I feel. Hopefully see you guys out there sometime this month.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Tube Mobb Big Bass Tournament: Lake Hodges

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Enjoyed the video a lot as always Chris! Can’t wait to try out Hodges in my tube soon!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Re: Tube Mobb Big Bass Tournament: Lake Hodges

Post by Pourboy »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:06 pm Enjoyed the video a lot as always Chris! Can’t wait to try out Hodges in my tube soon!
Thank you! I can't wait to run into you out on the water. It looks like you're enjoying the tube.