Catch & Release and Harvesting During the Spawn

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
858NOVICE
Angler

Catch & Release and Harvesting During the Spawn

Post by 858NOVICE »

I know there's has been several articles regarding this practice and the benefit's of both. I know there is a lot of policies for certain species, either for season, size limit, bag limit etc. I know that certain bodies of water strictly enforce/regulate the C&R during the bass spawn. While at a local reservoir yesterday I noticed a fisherman land a very nice sized female bass. She was holding eggs and ready to spawn at anytime. The angler then dehooked the bass and placed her in his "bucket". As I watched him I was hoping you would get a quick picture and release her back to sustain life. He then quickly covered his bucket and left the area. I was a bit angry at the fact that he harvested a female bass during the spawn. Any thoughts from fellow anglers?
"There is no substitute for time on the water"
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Catch & Release and Harvesting During the Spawn

Post by camobass »

That’s his legal right (unless he’s not a license holder). There is no law that states you can’t take a fish at any time of the year unless the lake is strictly catch and release like Barrett. There’s no way to regulate harvest during spawn as that happens at different times per location and some say multiple times per year. Now if he had a bucket over the daily limit, you have every right to get angry and even say something to him or call Caltip. The fishery will be absolutely be fine if he harvested a fish full of roe. Don’t be one of those guys talking crap to someone if they are harvesting a bass regardless if it’s full of roe or not.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

camobass wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:38 am That’s his legal right (unless he’s not a license holder). There is no law that states you can’t take a fish at any time of the year unless the lake is strictly catch and release like Barrett. There’s no way to regulate harvest during spawn as that happens at different times per location and some say multiple times per year. Now if he had a bucket over the daily limit, you have every right to get angry and even say something to him or call Caltip. The fishery will be absolutely be fine if he harvested a fish full of roe. Don’t be one of those guys talking crap to someone if they are harvesting a bass regardless if it’s full of roe or not.
^ this!
iCatch
Angler

Post by iCatch »

Overpopulation can also be a problem, especially when the food sources are scarce. I'd rather see fewer healthy large sized bass than tons of skinny dinks.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

I’m not a fan of anglers harvesting fish during the spawn, that’s just my personal opinion, but to camobass’ point, it’s their legal right and it’d be really difficult to regulate. On top of that, I see lots of guys fish the local lakes without even purchasing their permits. If the rangers don’t have time to crack down on them, they don’t have time to police what people do/don’t keep.

What I wish they’d do here are slot limits like they’re doing in Texas. Harvesting the small 12-14” fish would actually help grow more trophy sized bass as the overpopulation of smaller fish will stunt growth. They can’t keep anything 15-21” at all (as I understand it).
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

While I do agree with what @camobass said above..........personally I just don't like seeing someone harvest a fish during the spawn. I do understand that there are many anglers out there that are fishing not only for fun, but to bring something home to eat. I have to respect others who maybe the whole point of them going fishing is to try to catch fish to bring home. Many will never catch a big bass, so they not only may take it home to eat but to show off to the family...ha ha. They most likely have no idea that that bass is full of eggs and helps put more bass in the lake. Sad...but no sense being a "Karen" and trying to convince them to release the bass.
On another subject, one thing that bugs me is I pay for permits to fish, launch my boat or kayak and agree with @CorsoEnthusiast that rangers need to crack down on the people that fish and never get a permit. I know that is not likely to happen, but if a Ranger is out on the lake...I am kind of happy as I know I have my permits and license just knowing that he may bust some of those free-loaders out on the lake that day.
If more revenue is coming in....that cannot be a bad thing for the City although I doubt much will change. :-)
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
Nute
Angler

Post by Nute »

To further @camobass 's point, most if not all our lakes need culling and better management. There's another perspective of genetics. That female that you're talking about could easily be predisposition to producing sub-par growth (aka dinks). Its not correct to assume that bass grow and evolve equally, there's genetic factors in play. Proof/example is the share-lunker program that is growing exponentially in the midwest with amazing results. Check it out.

If 'we' are truly after big bass, culling and understanding the biometrics are paramount. A basic 'C&R" mentality doesn't cut it.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Agree.

It’s a shame how little patrolling there is now days. Loveland used to have a 3 strikes your out rule and that’s a lake that you do t even have to buy permits.

I’ve witnessed horrific things down there with no service to report. People taking over the limit back packs full of trophy bluegill up to their cars and coming back down and repeat. Same with catfish. Then seeing the same people there day after day.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

camobass wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:38 am That’s his legal right (unless he’s not a license holder). There is no law that states you can’t take a fish at any time of the year unless the lake is strictly catch and release like Barrett. There’s no way to regulate harvest during spawn as that happens at different times per location and some say multiple times per year. Now if he had a bucket over the daily limit, you have every right to get angry and even say something to him or call Caltip. The fishery will be absolutely be fine if he harvested a fish full of roe. Don’t be one of those guys talking crap to someone if they are harvesting a bass regardless if it’s full of roe or not.
Agree 100% with this!

What really irks me is when people berate someone for doing what is legally their right to do. I have seen young anglers get “scolded” by older fishermen who think it’s sacrilegious for someone to keep a bass they legally caught. I have even had a confrontation at El Cap where a guy told a young kid (I would guess he was 12 or 13) that he HAD to let a bass go that he had on a stringer. I was fishing the rocks next to the launch ramp. The kid caught a solid 3-4lbr and was stoked! He pulled out the stringer and put the fish on it and a guy launching told him to release it, and he was a complete jerk the way he went about it. I told him to leave the kid alone and he and I got into a fairly heated argument before he headed away from the ramp. I made sure the kid knew he did nothing wrong before I left the area.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all about C&R, especially since I don’t eat fish, but I am also all about allowing people to do what they are legally allowed to do.
dwaynesda
Angler

Post by dwaynesda »

I would like to jump in on this and offer a little info.

I talked to the guys that do the population studies at the lakes. They shock at night when the bass have moved into the shallower water from spending their day in the deep water. The bass float, they scoop, measure, weigh and then release the fish. Some fish are harvested and the ear otoliths are are examined to get their ages. Both El Cap and San Vicente have an over abundance of 12-14 inch bass. If we would like to see a healthy population of 2-4 pound bass, some fish need to be harvested he said. Both lakes could stand to see a reduction of about 5,000 bass, maybe even a little more he said. He is going to try and get the word out to start keeping a few bass this year if you would like to see the average size go up in the future. Harvesting will not hurt these two lakes. Too many bass and not enough shad in the lakes.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

dwaynesda wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:54 am I would like to jump in on this and offer a little info.

I talked to the guys that do the population studies at the lakes. They shock at night when the bass have moved into the shallower water from spending their day in the deep water. The bass float, they scoop, measure, weigh and then release the fish. Some fish are harvested and the ear otoliths are are examined to get their ages. Both El Cap and San Vicente have an over abundance of 12-14 inch bass. If we would like to see a healthy population of 2-4 pound bass, some fish need to be harvested he said. Both lakes could stand to see a reduction of about 5,000 bass, maybe even a little more he said. He is going to try and get the word out to start keeping a few bass this year if you would like to see the average size go up in the future. Harvesting will not hurt these two lakes. Too many bass and not enough shad in the lakes.
Spot on Dwayne, thanks. They don’t have slot limits elsewhere for no reason!!
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

dwaynesda wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:54 am I would like to jump in on this and offer a little info.

Average fish for me at Cap in March and April so far has been about 2.5lbs. If keeping some 12-14” fish means that average goes up, I’m in lol
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Throw em on the bank. The food chain will thrive
Last edited by camobass on Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

Culling arguments aside, there is plenty of bait in el cap. The shad tend to be the thickest in the north end most of the year. When you’re in 30’ and your graph starts glitching thinking you’re in 2’ because the screen is solid orange, that’s a lot of bait!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

What’s worse? Someone keeping fish to eat or someone spending 5 min to remove a hook and still snapping a selfie and throwing it back in the water. Witnessed this multiple times in the last few days. The later is is way worse imo.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

100%!!
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

Salty.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Not if properly prepared.

It's 2024.
Attachments
110415 PB lmb SQUARE CROP LIGHT.JPG
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....