Opening Day May 3rd

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Rude Baits
Angler

Opening Day May 3rd

Post by Rude Baits »

Opening Day Report:

Got to the lake nice and early and there was still like the 20+ vehicles there. Parking is still fine even with almost a full pool. Pigs is a little crowded though. Pops was kinda lagging, so we were one of the last boats off the dock. Anyway, Jumped in a boat and headed back into Hauser. All the past “favorite” spots already had people on them, so we had to find new water which there is now plenty of. A little chilly in the morning, so don’t forget your jacket. I Believe it was in the 40s. Water seemed warm enough though. However…

Top water was almost non existent for us for longer than I care to admit. Switched to worm fishing and it was a steady pick here and there with flylined Rude Bait “Senkos”. Pull up to a spot, pull a fish or two and move on. This is not my favorite way to fish (yet highly effective at times) and not what I like to come to Barrett for. I’m always looking for a nice top water or reaction bite, which at mid day we finally found…

Found a flooded spawning flat full of aggressive spawning males and wrecked em’ with various spinner type baits. Double ups, multi casts in a row, it was finally fishing like that Barrett that we come here for. Wore that spot out for a bit until the wind kicked up and went on an exploratory mission back into Pine. Water level is up and there is plenty of room to roam. Left early to beat traffic and crack a coldie back at the pad. All in all a good way to spend the day at the Big B. Until next time folks.
Last edited by Rude Baits on Thu May 04, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigTahuna
Angler

Re: Opening Day May 3rd

Post by BigTahuna »

Sounds fun
Thanks for report
meisner
Angler

Post by meisner »

Nice. Thanks.

How’s the road going in? Flooded? Ok to get in with a car?

Thanks
bassassasin
Angler

Post by bassassasin »

Sweet, thanks for the report!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thanks for the report! I wasn't sure which would be harder to find, the fish or parking. I'm glad that you guys were able to find both. I'm super excited for Saturday. Cheers!
Rude Baits
Angler

Post by Rude Baits »

meisner wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:55 pm Nice. Thanks.

How’s the road going in? Flooded? Ok to get in with a car?

Thanks

All three drain ditches are flowing, but easily manageable. I have driven my car through worse, although I drive my truck nowadays. Just be careful and its all good.
Seaway
Pro Angler

Post by Seaway »

Thanks for the report..!
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

Good to hear. I'll be there next week. Maybe I should get a new spinnerbait.
stumblebumm
Angler

Post by stumblebumm »

sounds like a good day Tone, good to get out with pops on the h20. thanks for the dope on the lake. gonna be flippin some of that on the 27th with boy. SL sr