Some fun on the home lake!

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Some fun on the home lake!

Post by Mcfish »

I got to the lake a little before sunrise, under cloudy, chilly conditions. There's still alot of water coming into the lake from the major creeks still, keeping the water temp kind of frosty feeling! I started the day throwing a small jerkbait and quickly hooked up with a couple size challenged fish, so I switched over to a t-rig with a 6" robo to see if I could increase the size. I soon hooked up with a couple decent fish and a couple clones. I thought I'd figured out a reliable pattern, but by 8:30 my pattern was gone! I spent the next 3 hours throwing the kitchen sink and only getting a couple small fish. Fortunately, I ran into Fisheromen who said he was still getting fish on the jerkbait, so back to the jerkbait I went! Smart move...but I proceeded to farm 7 of the 9 fish I hooked..could be a world record! Throwing a small jerkbait comes with the downside of having small trebles! It ended up being a fun day..but kind of on the strange side!
Attachments
20240329_073411.jpg
20240329_072117~2.jpg
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Re: Some fun on the home lake!

Post by otaymichael »

Glad to hear Paul was on them too. Good job.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

That is a nice fat bass!
It seems you always find a way to mix it up when you need to and catch bass ...especially with the water level rising each week and bass finding new areas to explore. More water means that soon I will be up there to fish my rock pile. I guess you better bring some different jerk baits next time or change out the hooks. Those bass up there fight like crazy and can see how bigger bass can come unbuttoned with tiny treble hooks. I remember one time when you missed 3 or was it 4 straight bites and slammed you hat on the water which caused a wake that almost capsized my kayak.....well maybe I am exaggerating a little. I am pretty sure you will
have bigger baits ready to land many more bass on your next trip.
Thanks for sharing your "Home lake" adventure with us.
Tight lines
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

otaymichael wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 pm Glad to hear Paul was on them too. Good job.
I think I saw Paul smiling everytime I farmed a fish!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

VinnyBass wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:25 pm That is a nice fat bass!
It seems you always find a way to mix it up when you need to and catch bass ...especially with the water
level rising each week and bass finding new areas to explore. More water means that soon I will be up there
to fish my rock pile. I guess you better bring some different jerk baits next time or change out the hooks. Those bass
up there fight like crazy and can see how bigger bass can come unbuttoned with tiny treble hooks. I
remember one time when you missed 3 or was it 4 straight bites and slammed you hat on the water which caused
a wake that almost capsized my kayak.....well maybe I am exaggerating a little. I am pretty sure you will
have bigger baits ready to land many more bass on your next trip.
Thanks for sharing your "Home lake" adventure with us.
Tight lines
I warned the Crappie guys that you'd be coming for your rockpile soon! They've pretty much taken over that shoreline! I'm pretty sure the crappie will be long gone before you get up here, back to their deep haunts! Don't forget...if you wait too long it will be cook'n hot up here!
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

That fist one is a good looking fish.

How much has the lake level come up since the opener?
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

KillinTime wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:50 pm That fist one is a good looking fish.

How much has the lake level come up since the opener?
I'd say about 6'...the ramp is in the water now..with a big sign that says "launch at your own risk".
Stingray
Angler

Post by Stingray »

I'm guessing current storm will provide quite a bit more water if they don't drain it ???
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

I haven’t been to D&K since probably the early 90s. Will have to take a Friday off work and make the drive up for a tube day in the next few weeks to check it out.