Spring fishing at the fave

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Spring fishing at the fave

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:08 am Just to add my 2 cents: Everyone has their way of rigging it, but this is the way I used to rig the IKA.

I use a weedless wire hook
IMG_1799.jpg
IMG_1797.jpg
and a nail weight in the back end.
IMG_1801.jpg
Ready for action
IMG_1802.jpg
I can definitely see the nail weight helping in heavy current when you just wanna get down fast. My bites have mostly come on the fall after I pop it off a tree branch or a rock. Give it a couple pops and lower the rod tip to give it slack so it can “backslide” into cover, hence I haven’t messed with the nail weight yet.

It’s funny, I have no hate for the dropshot, it’s still my most productive technique (and lots of other people’s) but for me at least, fishing an Ika on a jig rod with heavier line is more fun than fishing a dropshot. I’d always rather catch ‘em on a spinnerbait or a squarebill or a 110, but I’m happy for a good catching day on whatever they’re eating. My brother drags a Ned rig around 80% of the time - that seems like it’s even less exciting than fishing a dropshot but it’s his confidence bait cause he gets bit on it all the time. Catching fish is always fun for me pretty much every way except for sitting soaking live bait - that is not for me personally, I need fishing to be a little more “interactive” than that. Lots of people like soaking bait obviously so it’s a “your mileage may vary” thing.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Interesting you nail weight them Vinny. One of the key features is how they sink and they cast far already. I imagine your pitching them in the tules
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

“Soaking” bait can be very very interactive. From making your own bait and especially if you’re sticking healthy fish every cast haha
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

This is a great post on how to use plastics. I gotta pay better attention to those.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Early release wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:03 am This is a great post on how to use plastics. I gotta pay better attention to those.
Exactly why I love this forum. Great sharing!!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

camobass wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:48 am Interesting you nail weight them Vinny. One of the key features is how they sink and they cast far already. I imagine your pitching them in the tules
Actually, for many many years, I never nail weight them because you want them to go down slow…. but in deeper water I don’t have the patience and a little nail weight helps it go down just a tiny bit faster. I know that there is some deeper water around areas where CorsoEnthusiast fishes.
I don’t throw them that often like I did in the past, I agree with you Camobass that it’s more common if you do not put a weight in it.
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........