Hodges report March 9

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Hodges report March 9

Post by Early release »

Hi all,

Hodges was very nice today. Got out in some really cool fog early in the morning and started on my way. Almost instantly I got a sample size bass on a crankbait that was very ambitious for a fish of his size, he wasn't the only sample size fish I got, I had a couple, they don't figure into the total for the day. Then thinking I had it figured, I proceeded to not catch anything for a while. Water temp was at 58-59F and I figured the crankbait might be moving too fast. Switched to throwing a ned rig and alternating a dropshot. That produced nothing at all for me. Recently I bought a BFS setup and told myself if I wasn't catching fish, I might as well learn the new setup. Started along the rock faces and got takers pretty consistently. It was a lot of fun. Using a small crankbait and reeling it mid speed, and then stopping. Every hit on the stop. Turned in 14 total bass including a very decent 4 pound 15 ounce fish that was the champ for my day. Average would have been between 1-2 pounds. Talked to a couple other anglers and my experience was not the standard one, people were doing very well on Ned rigs, wacky worms and dropshots. Clearly there is a skill level, I am not having. Also ran into Pourboy and he shared an excellent saki with me and we had a great chat. Great to be back on the water again, see people I haven't seen in a while and enjoy the lakes. See you all out there, I think this is going to be a good year.

Big fish ate a little lure.
Big fish ate a little lure.
Picture taking skill is also in need of effort
Picture taking skill is also in need of effort
clearly pre-spawn pork
clearly pre-spawn pork
Attachments
Commitment points given.
Commitment points given.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: Hodges report March 9

Post by JWall »

Awesome job Dave 👏 You love those lil crankbaits and they produce!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Nice belly on that mama! Great report..Thanks!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Hodges fish look very healthy to me.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

JWall wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:18 pm Awesome job Dave 👏 You love those lil crankbaits and they produce!
I'll bring a few extra when you and I are out this coming week. :)
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

fat fish! Nice hat!
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

Great, now I have to convince my wife I need a BMF set up! Between you and Dannicus it’s pretty obvious that it works. 🤣
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Moose wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:42 pm Great, now I have to convince my wife I need a BMF set up! Between you and Dannicus it’s pretty obvious that it works. 🤣
Hi, I always have been a fan of light line and smaller baits, but that pretty much meant light spinning gear. Which is great, but it's really a lot more "cooperative" when you get a large fish. This BFS baitcasting setup had enough backbone that I was able to pull this better fish away from a couple trees/sticks and get her to more open water where I could be more patient. The added bonus, of this BFS, is that I can actually cast a baitcaster a little bit further than a spinning reel, which is a hidden benefit.
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

I’d like to think all my setups are Bad Mo’ Fo’s…
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Hey man, great job out there. I wish I could say that I did better than you, but that would be a straight up lie. It was great sharing the beverage that will make it on a video soon. I can’t make one from the outing I had, as I only had a bird for my catch of the day. Cheers and I’ll see you on the water soon. Also thanks for the bait. I got a few followers but I couldn’t get any hook ups on it. I will continue to work it for sure.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

The Fishin’ Magician. I miss Hodges having done really well there for many years, more Bass specific since ‘75. Unbelievable in its Heyday, still bigger than a pond. You found the Bass and then put the hurt on them. Well Done.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Pourboy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:27 pm Hey man, great job out there. I wish I could say that I did better than you, but that would be a straight up lie. It was great sharing the beverage that will make it on a video soon. I can’t make one from the outing I had, as I only had a bird for my catch of the day. Cheers and I’ll see you on the water soon. Also thanks for the bait. I got a few followers but I couldn’t get any hook ups on it. I will continue to work it for sure.
Hi Chris, thanks for the beverage, it was good to chat too. Sorry the lure didn't work out for you. I found out what the other one was, it's a Daiwa SC shad, but Rapala makes a similar one and I picked up a few more, so I'll share that with you the next time we see each other. I'll order some of the Daiwa ones, but I think I might replace the hooks on them, they are such thin wire that I broke one.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Early release wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:17 am
Pourboy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:27 pm Hey man, great job out there. I wish I could say that I did better than you, but that would be a straight up lie. It was great sharing the beverage that will make it on a video soon. I can’t make one from the outing I had, as I only had a bird for my catch of the day. Cheers and I’ll see you on the water soon. Also thanks for the bait. I got a few followers but I couldn’t get any hook ups on it. I will continue to work it for sure.
Hi Chris, thanks for the beverage, it was good to chat too. Sorry the lure didn't work out for you. I found out what the other one was, it's a Daiwa SC shad, but Rapala makes a similar one and I picked up a few more, so I'll share that with you the next time we see each other. I'll order some of the Daiwa ones, but I think I might replace the hooks on them, they are such thin wire that I broke one.
Thanks so much! I’m happy to share as well. Can’t wait to get out there again soon!