Last Hurrah, San V - No Words

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Last Hurrah, San V - No Words

Post by Moose »

Ok Boys. I honestly don’t know if I have the words to describe the day I had today.

This was a day that will likely live with me forever! I can honestly say that I have never experienced a day like I had today, and that includes fishing Barrett years ago when it first opened back up!

I don’t think it’s any big secret that I have been fishing the back of Barona these last few weeks. I’m talking the VERY back, by the waterfall.

I started there this morning and something was off. I was getting bites but they were weird bites. I couldn’t seem to get a solid hookset into them. I did manage to land 7 fish by 9am but I jumped off just as many, and missed a bunch of bites. I would come back with about an inch of my worm.. I fished there until about 11. I left there and headed to Kimball to see what I could find there. I fished it for about 2hrs and managed 3 boated and 3 lost. After that I decided to head back to my area in the back of Barona.

There was no one there so I decided to fish my way in. On Monday, I would say that 20 of my 28 fish came from the left side, out of the current. Today was the opposite. I managed a couple of fish from the left side this morning but nothing like it was on Monday. This time I fished my way in from the right. I eventually ended up next to the waterfall, that’s when all hell broke loose!!

I reached the waterfall about 1pm. Between 1pm and 4 pm I landed 37 fish! At one point I got 8 fish on 8 casts! I ended the day with 47 landed, at least a dozen jumped off, and at least as many bites. This is no BS, no exaggeration. I have pictures of 30 fish. I stopped taking pics at one point because it was getting ridiculous!

It was weird because I could only get bit if I was bringing the bait ACROSS the current. I could not get bit if I was working the bait WITH the current. It was almost like trout fishing. Pitching the bait into the current and letting it carry the bait to the fish.. I also got bit by pitching into the little pools created by the flowing water.

It was insane how many fish were sitting in the current! I got almost 40 fish and there had to be many more there. I don’t know if they were there this morning or if they just moved in for the afternoon.

The crazy thing is all but 3 of the fish came from one spot! It was the area that I got 28 on Monday. So in the last two trips I got 65ish fish from ONE area!!

I went through a bag that had 80 worms in it today. I’m not making this stuff up! They were definitely keyed in on my little Fluttercraft. I had 5 different dropshot rods set up and the only thing they would hit today was the Fluttercraft. I had close to, if not over, 100 bites today!In total today, I got 5 on a Senko, and 42 on the dropshot!

I would call BS on this report if I hadn’t experienced it first hand. It was quite the “last hurrah” for me, having to go back to work on Monday.

God, or Lady Luck, was looking down on me
today. It was a trip I will never forget!

My best 5 went 15.38 with a big fish of 4.60. It was a hell of a final weekday on water for sure!!
Attachments
IMG_2522.jpeg
IMG_2511.jpeg
IMG_2510.jpeg
IMG_2513.jpeg
IMG_2509.jpeg
IMG_2489.jpeg
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Re: Last Hurrah, San V - No Words

Post by otaymichael »

Congrats on such a memorable day. Great report :D
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Absolutely amazing! I love perfect days and you deserve it! You have grinded and hit it hard rain or shine and can take this with you forever. In the words of Falco “chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever” cheers to you.
Fishtricks
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Fishtricks »

Thats awesome!
Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Holy cow! One hell of a day! Nice work!
Rippinlips
Pro Angler

Post by Rippinlips »

That’s awesome! I need a day like that soon
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

Pourboy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:47 pm Absolutely amazing! I love perfect days and you deserve it! You have grinded and hit it hard rain or shine and can take this with you forever. In the words of Falco “chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever” cheers to you.
Love the “Replacements”!!
BassbruiserDylan
Angler

Post by BassbruiserDylan »

Wow! I’ve been waiting for this report! This reminds me exactly the day I had on my Brithday (April 29) in 2023. Me, my dad and one of my buddies went out and we got about 50 fish or so in barona from 7-11. They were in the current too, like you said. Thin senko was the key. But early in the morning I was throwing a small coolbaits in the stream and slow rolling it out and I got some good ones doing that. Sweet! Glad you left the weekday fishing with a huge bang!
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

I predict a crowd in the Barona Arm!
Would like to write a report like this, but mine would end, "and then I woke up!"
Congrats, Moose!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Over the years, San V has had the ability to produce some crazy great days...but you're never really sure when it will happen! In the old dam days , there were topwater days when you wouldnt even tell people how many you caught because they wouldnt believe you! Congrats!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Moose wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:03 pm
Pourboy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:47 pm Absolutely amazing! I love perfect days and you deserve it! You have grinded and hit it hard rain or shine and can take this with you forever. In the words of Falco “chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever” cheers to you.
I’m super glad you got the reference!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Pourboy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:35 pm
Random fact…a longtime buddy of mine played Eddie Martel, Falco's nemesis in The Replacements. We’ve done some serious surfing/traveling but I’ve never gotten him out fishing.
Attachments
IMG_6474.jpeg
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

I hated that guy! 🤣🤣
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Moose wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:32 pm I hated that guy! 🤣🤣
He always plays a great jerk. Don’t think we ever let him forget that 😂
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

He’s made a good career out of playing a jerk though 🤣
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

JWall wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:06 am
Pourboy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:35 pm
Random fact…a longtime buddy of mine played Eddie Martel, Falco's nemesis in The Replacements. We’ve done some serious surfing/traveling but I’ve never gotten him out fishing.
That is amazing! He must be a great actor because we all hated that character! Thanks for sharing!
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Great Report! Thanks!
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Love days like this!