Confidence Baits or New Baits: Which Do I Fish?

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Confidence Baits or New Baits: Which Do I Fish?

Post by Pourboy »

Hey all I hope all the lines are tight and the drags are screaming. I really had a mental splinter this week deciding where to fish. I know that shouldn't be that big a deal but look I'm sure you guys get it. Do I fish here or there? Once a decision has been made then comes the prep time deciding which baits, rigs, speed, size, on and on and on. Maybe I'm the only fisherman out there who overanalyzes there gear ahead of time or on the water but I am betting not.

I ended up doing the only reasonable thing and flipping a coin, literally. I ended up with the 2 choices being Hodges and El Cap. Hodges has been slow for me so far but I know it will pop soon. El Cap I've caught more fish lately but the size hasn't been the best.

Flip...Tails...El Cap.

I headed out on Saturday morning (a rare Saturday off for me) and was pleasantly surprised to find the gates already open when it was still dark. I ended up being the only tuber out there that I saw (I'm sure the others were at Hodges) and headed out for hopefully some reaction bites. I saw one guy cranking right by the launch and pick up 2 right away. I ended up getting a decent fish on a spinnerbait nearby but had a glitch and my video turned itself off so I didn't get the fight recorded (not sure what is going on there, it happened several other times throughout the day).

I made a move and wanted to try a new rig (Free Rig). I had just heard about that from the owner of Slugg Fishing in Poway. A newer tackle shop that I just visited for the first time. Not sure if you guys fish the rig but it is always interesting to try something new (I did that later in the video as well "Spoiler!). I did not get anything on that rig or anything else until the afternoon and then the bite seemed to switch on at about 12:04pm. I ended up landing 4 more fish in that hour (mostly on jigs) and losing 2 more. Unlike the last time I was at the lake these bites were not subtle at all. They were try to rip the rod out of my hand strikes.

I stuck around another couple of hours but couldn't get any more. Anyway it was super fun out there and I was pleasantly surprised by the ferocity of the hits. I met a bunch of great people out there including JWall (great job on the bigger fish by the way!) and had a super fun day on the water. Check out the video for more details if you want.

Cheers all and see you on the water.

P.S. How was the bite on Hodges that day out of curiosity? Also, what are your thoughts on how long you fish a new rig, bait, etc. before going back to your confidence stuff?

P.P.S. I had a flyby from a vintage fighter plane in the video. Any ideas what model it is?
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Confidence Baits or New Baits: Which Do I Fish?

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Pourboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm

Hey all I hope all the lines are tight and the drags are screaming. I really had a mental splinter this week deciding where to fish. I know that shouldn't be that big a deal but look I'm sure you guys get it. Do I fish here or there? Once a decision has been made then comes the prep time deciding which baits, rigs, speed, size, on and on and on. Maybe I'm the only fisherman out there who overanalyzes there gear ahead of time or on the water but I am betting not.

I ended up doing the only reasonable thing and flipping a coin, literally. I ended up with the 2 choices being Hodges and El Cap. Hodges has been slow for me so far but I know it will pop soon. El Cap I've caught more fish lately but the size hasn't been the best.

Flip...Tails...El Cap.

I headed out on Saturday morning (a rare Saturday off for me) and was pleasantly surprised to find the gates already open when it was still dark. I ended up being the only tuber out there that I saw (I'm sure the others were at Hodges) and headed out for hopefully some reaction bites. I saw one guy cranking right by the launch and pick up 2 right away. I ended up getting a decent fish on a spinnerbait nearby but had a glitch and my video turned itself off so I didn't get the fight recorded (not sure what is going on there, it happened several other times throughout the day).

I made a move and wanted to try a new rig (Free Rig). I had just heard about that from the owner of Slugg Fishing in Poway. A newer tackle shop that I just visited for the first time. Not sure if you guys fish the rig but it is always interesting to try something new (I did that later in the video as well "Spoiler!). I did not get anything on that rig or anything else until the afternoon and then the bite seemed to switch on at about 12:04pm. I ended up landing 4 more fish in that hour (mostly on jigs) and losing 2 more. Unlike the last time I was at the lake these bites were not subtle at all. They were try to rip the rod out of my hand strikes.

I stuck around another couple of hours but couldn't get any more. Anyway it was super fun out there and I was pleasantly surprised by the ferocity of the hits. I met a bunch of great people out there including JWall (great job on the bigger fish by the way!) and had a super fun day on the water. Check out the video for more details if you want.

Cheers all and see you on the water.

P.S. How was the bite on Hodges that day out of curiosity? Also, what are your thoughts on how long you fish a new rig, bait, etc. before going back to your confidence stuff?

P.P.S. I had a flyby from a vintage fighter plane in the video. Any ideas what model it is?
I fish the free rig pretty often! I learned about it from the guys at the HookUp Tackle. Particularly in the springtime when bluegill are public enemy #1, baits like the Issei Gill Flat, Deps BullFlat and OSP DoLive Gill that have a bluegill profile and a slow fall. Also use craw imitators like the OSP DoLive Beaver (bait that Rapala recently knocked off for their Crush City line) with pretty good success.

My rule of thumb, if it works in Japan where they have the most pressured bass lakes in the world, I’m gonna try it here.

THUT have quite a few good Free Rig videos on their YouTube channel. This one is a pretty good place to start https://youtu.be/5jOLhky6gUU?si=CATl8tU6AHuk5YBp
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thanks for the info! I look forward to using it and trying it with different baits. Cheers!
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

It can definitely be tough to get comfortable with a new bait, or technique. One of the reasons I’m glad I no longer fish tournaments is that I can go out and just fish free. No stress about money, or points being on the line. It has allowed me to expand my fishing so much more.

I tend to use new techniques when the bite is either really good, or really slow. When the bite is good, I feel like I should be able to get a bite on something new if I fish it correctly. I will keep switching up how I am fishing it (type of retrieve, speed, depth etc)until I get a bite or two. When it’s slow, I figure I’m not getting bit anyway so why not try and get comfortable with something new 🤷🏻‍♂️

Easiest way is to just go out with only that technique in your boat, or tube, and force yourself to fish it. I have a hard time doing that because I like catching fish too much! 🤣 I typically just try to work new stuff in when I can.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Hey, when all else fails, flyline a night crawler :lol:
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Moose wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:36 pm It can definitely be tough to get comfortable with a new bait, or technique. One of the reasons I’m glad I no longer fish tournaments is that I can go out and just fish free. No stress about money, or points being on the line. It has allowed me to expand my fishing so much more.

I tend to use new techniques when the bite is either really good, or really slow. When the bite is good, I feel like I should be able to get a bite on something new if I fish it correctly. I will keep switching up how I am fishing it (type of retrieve, speed, depth etc)until I get a bite or two. When it’s slow, I figure I’m not getting bit anyway so why not try and get comfortable with something new 🤷🏻‍♂️

Easiest way is to just go out with only that technique in your boat, or tube, and force yourself to fish it. I have a hard time doing that because I like catching fish too much! 🤣 I typically just try to work new stuff in when I can.
Well put!
bassassasin
Angler

Post by bassassasin »

Love the videos! Sluggfishing is my go to shop (I also happen to live down the street lol). Looking forward to seeing more content!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Obsess over where to fish and what to throw? Me?! LOL that’s got to be all of us. Lately location is anywhere away from the tournaments. I make lists and lists of tactics, each different for every lake. I love trying newer weapons, hence the jig Saturday. More of a rubber worm guy for bottom fishing but I may have just switched. Reapers are always a confidence bait. The joke is how fast one of us goes to it. Paddle tails on leadheads might be the 3rd up.

Great job sticking with your jig for the noontime 4! I’m certain I miss good bites being in a hurry to get somewhere. Need to work on that. Start taking a lunch break or something. Maybe just clear a schedule. Soon.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

bassassasin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:31 pm Love the videos! Sluggfishing is my go to shop (I also happen to live down the street lol). Looking forward to seeing more content!
Nice! Come by and say hi sometime. Cheers!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

JWall wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:07 pm Obsess over where to fish and what to throw? Me?! LOL that’s got to be all of us. Lately location is anywhere away from the tournaments. I make lists and lists of tactics, each different for every lake. I love trying newer weapons, hence the jig Saturday. More of a rubber worm guy for bottom fishing but I may have just switched. Reapers are always a confidence bait. The joke is how fast one of us goes to it. Paddle tails on leadheads might be the 3rd up.

Great job sticking with your jig for the noontime 4! I’m certain I miss good bites being in a hurry to get somewhere. Need to work on that. Start taking a lunch break or something. Maybe just clear a schedule. Soon.
Good sir I believe you’re right about obsessing. Cheers!
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

I don’t know if it’s the same plane, but there has been a guy for the last 15 years or so that flies his plane from somewhere down south, up to the north end of the lake. Then he does backwards loops over and over, right above the lake, until the last one and he just flattens out and heads home. Pretty cool hearing his engine sputtering while upside down until he gets back around and it fires up
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

I’ve seen a lot of stunt flying over the lake for sure but that one surprised me for sure!
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

All you have to do is wiggle something in front of their mouths. If you’ve found a Bait that does that consistently, you have found a Confidence Bait. Use it. Size, color , depth and cadence are the keys to getting bit. I have several Confidence Baits that cover the entire range of Bass Fishing. So much so that I just carry a small bag and one or two rods, depending on the situation. I spend much more time presenting Baits to the Fish than most of my buddies as the furiously change rods and techniques over and over. I think every time you change, you screw up one part of the equation or another. It takes time to get all the parameters correct. Once you do, keep at it. They used to call it a pattern. It is a combination of parameters that puts your bait in front of the Fish in a way they will suck it down. When you find that, stick with it as long as possible.