El Cap 2-24 Can’t Complain! With a PSA

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
JWall
Extreme Angler

El Cap 2-24 Can’t Complain! With a PSA

Post by JWall »

Hit a lake for the first bass fishing since mid November. It wasn't an epic bite, or even a steady bite, but I was rewarded with one nice one, going 4lbs-12oz on the digital. It bit a pumpkin/purple jig with a pumpkin/purple Power craw pinned on. I must give props to Pourboy for that color suggestion in his live bait vs. jig video. That craw also got bit carolina rigged just before the catch but it spit the hook quickly. I switched over to the jig combo on the very next drift (in about 15-18ft) and nailed it with a more solid hook set. Speaking of Pourboy, we rolled up on him around 10am and chatted for a bit. That tube of his has everything you need, it might even fly. Amazing setup.

Got another dink later fishing shallow on a reaper and got off the water before noon. Looking forward to nailing the nicer bass that seem to be thinking about a spawn soon.

The PSA…had Mohs Surgery on the forehead last week. Boys and girls keep applying that sunscreen, the hours and hours of exposure take their toll.
Attachments
IMG_4322.jpeg
IMG_2293.jpeg
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Re: El Cap 2-24 Can’t Complain! With a PSA

Post by Moose »

Beautiful fish!

I can second your sunscreen advice. I’ve had several spots of skin cancer removed over the years so it’s sunscreen and gaiters for me. Wish like hell I could wear long sleeves all day but I get too damn hot.

Have a bullet sized dent in my head because of a spot that was removed. Not good.
Attachments
IMG_2270.jpeg
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

What, no sterie strips? 8 Cancer removals for me. All Basel and Squamous cell. Go ahead and wear the sunscreen, but it probably won't do any good.

That is a nice fish!!! Have not seen one like, myself, in way too long! This year!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Fisheromen wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:09 pm What, no sterie strips? 8 Cancer removals for me. All Basel and Squamous cell. Go ahead and wear the sunscreen, but it probably won't do any good.

That is a nice fish!!! Have not seen one like, myself, in way too long! This year!
That bass beat any I caught last year. This year will be a bigger bass year 🤞😉
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Brother and I were there in the dam arm for the first 4 hours of the day and the last two. Rangers let us in way early, we were down on the shore when it was still pitch dark. First hour of light was on fire, we got bit on plastics (no luck on reaction but I did lose a 110 sadly) and after that it just shut down. We got one a piece during the afternoon session. was kind of disappointing for a full moon day, I figured that would kick off a pretty good bite. It was good, just really short. Every fish we landed was 2+ as well. Fish are eating up nicely.
Attachments
018153B5-C823-481C-B036-638AE69A66AA.jpeg
F39E010D-F7E7-4D0A-A317-8F6A4A725972.jpeg
AE8EB8F9-6DC7-46EE-8276-E5EA432D5822.jpeg
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:24 am Brother and I were there in the dam arm for the first 4 hours of the day and the last two. Rangers let us in way early, we were down on the shore when it was still pitch dark. First hour of light was on fire, we got bit on plastics (no luck on reaction but I did lose a 110 sadly) and after that it just shut down. We got one a piece during the afternoon session. was kind of disappointing for a full moon day, I figured that would kick off a pretty good bite. It was good, just really short. Every fish we landed was 2+ as well. Fish are eating up nicely.
We gave that area a try (north side) and got that last one mid day. Was thinking it might turn on later as we were driving away but apparently not. Glad you got that morning flurry tho!!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Thanks for the PSA, but for some of us the damage was done back in the 60s-70s..too much fishing, surfing, and golfing before sunscreen came around! I've done the sunscreen routine for the last 40 years and it hasn't kept me out of the doctors office. I fear that in the future they will learn more about skin cancer and that sunscreen is not all that they thought it was. Until then, I guess we keep dumping it on! I've had 3 different dermatologists and I basically get 3 different diagnosis from them...not reassuring ! Good luck!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Mcfish wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:34 pm Thanks for the PSA, but for some of us the damage was done back in the 60s-70s..too much fishing, surfing, and golfing before sunscreen came around! I've done the sunscreen routine for the last 40 years and it hasn't kept me out of the doctors office. I fear that in the future they will learn more about skin cancer and that sunscreen is not all that they thought it was. Until then, I guess we keep dumping it on! I've had 3 different dermatologists and I basically get 3 different diagnosis from them...not reassuring ! Good luck!
Ahh the teenage surfing years…my nose peeled every Wednesday whether or not I surfed that weekend
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Besides being covered up, I heard several times the only true sun block is zinc. By dad had it all over his arms, seemed he was having it burned off once a month.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Hey JWall it was great meeting you out there and chatting! Thank you for the kudos. I'm not sure I'm ready for flight with the tube setup but maybe teleportation will be next! I look forward to seeing you again on the water and congrats on the nice fish! Cheers!