Lake Murray April 5, 2023

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Lake Murray April 5, 2023

Post by VinnyBass »

Murray bass .jpg
The cold weather and water level fluctuating up and down has not helped the bass fishing at Lake Murray. It has been a tough bite with smaller fish as a reward after a lot of hard work recently. Good news as the action should be picking up now that we may be in for some warmer weather. Some dinks the last couple days, and while this bass is not big, it was a lot healthier than the others...ha ha.
Tight lines everyone
Last edited by VinnyBass on Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big C
Pro Angler

Re: Lake Murray April 5, 2023

Post by Big C »

Yeah, sure hope the action picks up pretty soon. 2023 has not been that great for me so far.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Thanks Big C..... It has been a cold and rainy few months and it will be better as soon as the weather warms things up a little.
Tight lines always. :-)
Borderbasser
Angler

Post by Borderbasser »

Is it back? Is this real?
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

April, a warming trend, and a full moon..it's time! Good job getting them started Mr. Vinnybass!! I'm waiting to see your first sixer of 2023, I know you've got it in you!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Other than the Huddleston bass, lots of 4’s and at least a half a dozen or more 5’s…last year….so I look forward to hopefully landing at least one 6 this year. And I always look forward to be an out fished at Sutherland by you and seeing your fish reports from San V. Tight lines always McFish. :-)
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Great to see you on here Borderbasser.
Tight lines always and look forward to your reports.
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

welcome home Vincent.....
Hopefully the trash doesnt follow....
Last edited by Slater on Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Great to see you joined.
Now if I can just get you to tell me how you catch so many healthy bass at your home lake......ha ha
Tight lines always buddy. :-)
RamonaAngler
Angler

Post by RamonaAngler »

At least somebody is catching bass. I've been to my home lake 4 times and was unfortunately skunked each time. The water level keeps rising and I think the bass can't figure out where to start spawning. Good to see you catching a few Vinny. Hope to have a report to post soon.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

RamonaAngler wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:40 am At least somebody is catching bass. I've been to my home lake 4 times and was unfortunately skunked each time. The water level keeps rising and I think the bass can't figure out where to start spawning. Good to see you catching a few Vinny. Hope to have a report to post soon.
Very few bass and almost all have been dinks. Glad to see you joined RamonaAngler!
The water level up at your home lake is crazy high and been rising. I went up there and there is no parking lot
so to get to where you have to try to park you have to go off road a little or through water. Needless to say,
don't feel bad as I only managed one small bass on a underspin. Way too many places for the bass to spread out.
I only know of one guy that caught 5 bass and was able to fight the odds.......yep, you guessed it....McFish.
That guy can catch bass probably even at Lindo lakes...ha ha
Hopefully the warm weather will bring many in close and the fishing will improve and the lake will gradually
lower a little or the rate is is rising you will have to fish up near the concession stand...ha ha
Tight lines
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

That was a struggle to pull 5 fish yesterday...lake looks great though! The parking situation is a real challenge, not sure how you would launch a boat now with the ramp completely underwater! They are pumping a lot of water down to San V now, we'll see what that does to the lake in the long run? It is customary for the City to take down the water level during the spawn! Fishermen and fish are very low on the City's priority list..if on it at all????? Fun fishing alongside you yesterday, I'm thinkin the changes in water temps and water level have the fish a little confused now! You do hold the record for most bait changes in a 6 hour day! You are the only person I know that can tie on a bait, then tie on a new bait without making a cast!!!
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

Mcfish wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:14 am That was a struggle to pull 5 fish yesterday...lake looks great though! The parking situation is a real challenge, not sure how you would launch a boat now with the ramp completely underwater! They are pumping a lot of water down to San V now, we'll see what that does to the lake in the long run? It is customary for the City to take down the water level during the spawn! Fishermen and fish are very low on the City's priority list..if on it at all????? Fun fishing alongside you yesterday, I'm thinkin the changes in water temps and water level have the fish a little confused now! You do hold the record for most bait changes in a 6 hour day! You are the only person I know that can tie on a bait, then tie on a new bait without making a cast!!!
While the other site was down, city opened the spillway at El Cap, just to watch the water go into El Monte river valley, sand pits, ocean, etc...
Figured they would have tried utilizing it vs wasting it....
Not sure if El Cap is somehow plumbed to any of the other local reservoirs though....
They dropped water level, lots of water....
Actually flooded some nearby properties, horse areas, pastures, etc....
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Slater wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:29 am
Mcfish wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:14 am That was a struggle to pull 5 fish yesterday...lake looks great though! The parking situation is a real challenge, not sure how you would launch a boat now with the ramp completely underwater! They are pumping a lot of water down to San V now, we'll see what that does to the lake in the long run? It is customary for the City to take down the water level during the spawn! Fishermen and fish are very low on the City's priority list..if on it at all????? Fun fishing alongside you yesterday, I'm thinkin the changes in water temps and water level have the fish a little confused now! You do hold the record for most bait changes in a 6 hour day! You are the only person I know that can tie on a bait, then tie on a new bait without making a cast!!!
While the other site was down, city opened the spillway at El Cap, just to watch the water go into El Monte river valley, sand pits, ocean, etc...
Not sure if El Cap is somehow plumbed to any of the other local reservoirs though....
So if I took my new lightweight kayak I bought especially just to fish the sd river, I may end up in OB with the raging muddy waters?
I will wait for a bit and thanks for the warning. :-)
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

VinnyBass wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:08 pm
So if I took my new lightweight kayak I bought especially just to fish the sd river, I may end up in OB with the raging muddy waters?
Pics of the run-off....
Do it!!! Ill meet you at Hodads for a burger, once you get there....
Attachments
1D796F16-FA26-4A8F-AC85-32AEAD078300.jpeg
A504FBAA-5AF2-4080-8213-3369D0D234CA.jpeg
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

VinnyBass wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:08 pm
Looks like someone beat you to the idea Vinny….
Attachments
F0ABC3D5-B61A-46C0-B8AE-E7BE0739261F.jpeg
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

It figures as I get older, I don’t make quick decisions…ha ha
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

You're not that old...80 is the new 40.....or 79
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:27 am You're not that old...80 is the new 40.....or 79
Speaking of old....at least I know the difference between land and water. It was funny because when you came out of the water you asked "that other guy"(you know who you are) how did I get so wet? ha ha. Glad you are learning to use the Tokyo rig.... :-)
Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 11.16.55 AM.png
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

VinnyBass wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:18 am
Mcfish wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:27 am You're not that old...80 is the new 40.....or 79
Speaking of old....at least I know the difference between land and water. It was funny because when you came out of the water you asked "that other guy"(you know who you are) how did I get so wet? ha ha. Glad you are learning to use the Tokyo rig.... :-)

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 11.16.55 AM.png
If you fish with Vinny, be prepared to be his fishfinder..he saves money any way he can....
Attachments
Screenshot_20230422-122125_Facebook.jpg