Lake Dixon Weekly Update from a Bass Guy

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
sawheeler52
Angler

Lake Dixon Weekly Update from a Bass Guy

Post by sawheeler52 »

Well our boat rental plans bombed, so chose to spend an hour on a pier looking for what is different from last week.
Last week:
Water level lowest I've seen in 15-years.
Through clear water to about 15', nothing looked attractive at all.
Skunked.
Crappy trout fishing as the scheduled plant could not occur.
Today:
Water level about full with active inflow.
Still didn't note any signs of shallow water beds.
Fishing my old school marabou jig & pig and my son on several drop-shotted RoboWorms, got 2 in a pretty short period all in something like 15-20' of water.
More bottom grass than about the none of last week.
By observation, trout seemed to be non-existent still; though a February 28 plant date was posted.
Thinking about renting a boat tomorrow.
It is close to "time."
Stephen
22-Feb-2024 - 1.jpg
22-Feb-2024.jpg
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Re: Lake Dixon Weekly Update from a Bass Guy

Post by otaymichael »

Dixon, now there's a word we've not heard for a long, long time... great report, gracias.

Reminds me of when you had a chance a catching a bass worth ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

I had a chance at her, one of just a handful of folks, story here:
https://www.seewald.com/had_chance_at_w ... d_bass.htm
sawheeler52
Angler

Post by sawheeler52 »

otaymichael wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:26 am Dixon, now there's a word we've not heard for a long, long time... great report, gracias.

Reminds me of when you had a chance a catching a bass worth ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Michael,
A great link you provided which brought back some memories. Thanks.
Being a 1998 transplant from NYS to Escondido; Dixon is my "home" lake, mostly from shore through the decades.
I remember fishing from shore (when there was a walk-able shoreline before the tules took over) and watching a Dixon rental boat (don't recall if there were 2 people in it) followed by a colorful ESPN boat (filming) lifting up the buoy line and heading into the restricted area. I assume this was one or both of the renowned Dottie hunters. Not sure how they got access to the dam area.
Re: not hearing of Dixon for a bunch of time:
Works for me.
Compared to most other SD County reservoirs which allow tubing and boat launch, Dixon doesn't and is likely less attractive to a large group of bass fisherman, not to mention us older ones.
Though I haven't caught a double digit bass since before 2010, I claim it is still alive.
Back then, all from shore, caught 3 between 10 and 12#s all on my favorite lure when the weeds are up, the double fluke. Drawing attached.
Going back soon.
Will update.
Stephen
Attachments
Double Fluke Drawing 26JUL2022.jpg
sawheeler52
Angler

Post by sawheeler52 »

sawheeler52 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:55 am
otaymichael wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:26 am Dixon, now there's a word we've not heard for a long, long time... great report, gracias.

Michael,
A great link you provided which brought back some memories. Thanks.
Being a 1998 transplant from NYS to Escondido; Dixon is my "home" lake, mostly from shore through the decades.
I remember fishing from shore (when there was a walk-able shoreline before the tules took over) and watching a Dixon rental boat (don't recall if there were 2 people in it) followed by a colorful ESPN boat (filming) lifting up the buoy line and heading into the restricted area. I assume this was one or both of the renowned Dottie hunters. Not sure how they got access to the dam area.
Re: not hearing of Dixon for a bunch of time:
Works for me.
Compared to most other SD County reservoirs which allow tubing and boat launch, Dixon doesn't and is likely less attractive to a large group of bass fisherman, not to mention us older ones.
Though I haven't caught a double digit bass since before 2010, I claim it is still alive.
Back then, all from shore, caught 3 between 10 and 12#s all on my favorite lure when the weeds are up, the double fluke. Drawing attached.
Going back soon.
Will update.
Stephen
Got one more today from same spot.
This one on a 3/8 oz black marabou jig with an Uncle Josh black & blue Big Daddy pork frog.
In 35' of water.
Doesn't seem they are in shallow quite yet.
Saw a few juvenile males in shallow kinda trying to establish some dominance.
No discernible established beds seen.
Stephen
Attachments
23-Feb-2024 Crop.jpg
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

You think of snag long would have foul hooked her, he would have been honest about it? Haha
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life