Lake Hodges Opening Week 2024

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Lake Hodges Opening Week 2024

Post by Pourboy »

Lake Hodges Opener 2024

Hey all, it’s that time of the year again! I am always excited to go to Lake Hodges, and this year was no exception. I had made a point to make sure that I got out there on opening day and battled the rain. It was challenging out there for sure, it seemed like most of the people out there to begin with at least were crappie fisherman. I got out there on the lake right away to the rain pouring down and it being 47° outside. I ended up getting two bass both on crank baits. I also ended up getting two carp that got snagged on my Ned rig. I only got to be out there for a few hours as I had to go to work it being a Wednesday.

I got back out there on Sunday. Hoping for some better fishing. Got to hang out with some cool people, but the fishing was even tougher for me on Sunday as I only ended up with one crappie. I did talk to people and saw people catch fish, dragging bats on the bottom slowly, a few more people getting ones on crank baits, and even saw a guy catch one on an Alabama rig and break his rod, pulling it into the kayak.

I did run into Danicus out there and enjoyed chatting and seeing the picture he got of his monster slab crappie. What a beast! I’m always excited to get out there and can’t wait for my next outing there. You’re welcome to check out the video for more details and some float tubing in pouring rain. I didn’t really mind that actually. It is a new year and I am looking forward to being back out on that lake. I do have to say both days it was pretty packed, lots and lots of kayaks out there. I look forward to seeing you guys out there. Go get them!
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Re: Lake Hodges Opening Week 2024

Post by otaymichael »

Nice, years ago everyone (that we talked to) got skunked on the opener, and that's when they allowed boats on too! Tough time of year... still.
Last edited by otaymichael on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Pourboy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:36 pm Lake Hodges Opener 2024

Hey all, it’s that time of the year again! I am always excited to go to Lake Hodges, and this year was no exception. I had made a point to make sure that I got out there on opening day and battled the rain. It was challenging out there for sure, it seemed like most of the people out there to begin with at least were crappie fisherman. I got out there on the lake right away to the rain pouring down and it being 47° outside. I ended up getting two bass both on crank baits. I also ended up getting two carp that got snagged on my Ned rig. I only got to be out there for a few hours as I had to go to work it being a Wednesday.

I got back out there on Sunday. Hoping for some better fishing. Got to hang out with some cool people, but the fishing was even tougher for me on Sunday as I only ended up with one crappie. I did talk to people and saw people catch fish, dragging bats on the bottom slowly, a few more people getting ones on crank baits, and even saw a guy catch one on an Alabama rig and break his rod, pulling it into the kayak.

I did run into Danicus out there and enjoyed chatting and seeing the picture he got of his monster slab crappie. What a beast! I’m always excited to get out there and can’t wait for my next outing there. You’re welcome to check out the video for more details and some float tubing in pouring rain. I didn’t really mind that actually. It is a new year and I am looking forward to being back out on that lake. I do have to say both days it was pretty packed, lots and lots of kayaks out there. I look forward to seeing you guys out there. Go get them!
Awesome! It is a really fun lake to fish in a tube. I hope to see you out there again soon! Thanks for showing me the Kistler rod. I gotta start saving up for one
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Dannicus wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:04 pm
Pourboy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:36 pm Lake Hodges Opener 2024

Awesome! It is a really fun lake to fish in a tube. I hope to see you out there again soon! Thanks for showing me the Kistler rod. I gotta start saving up for one
Yes it is a very accessible lake for tubing. I'm glad you like the rod. I have been super impressed with the company so far. It was really fun to spend time with you and I look forward to more in the future. Cheers!
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Another fine video.
What do you think the effect of all those carp are on the bass population?
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

I was actually doing some research on that and the scientific studies that I looked at said that people have been concerned that because carp are bottom feeders and therefore they damage the Bass nests, but after study, they found that the males protecting the nest would drive off the carp. I do think that the population of carp in that lake is too large and they need to be harvested in order to keep the population in check. Thing you will always notice at Hodges as there is almost no vegetation on the bottom. Not sure exactly what the Carpet eating. The Bass population seems to be doing fine, but we will see what the long-term impact of that many fish in a lake only 13% full will be.
Hotcarrotz
Angler

Post by Hotcarrotz »

Has anyone been having tough days at Hodges lately?
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Hotcarrotz wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 pm Has anyone been having tough days at Hodges lately?
Basically all the bass fishermen that I have talked to have struggled so far. Crappie has been on for lots. The lake has come up several feet very quickly and Hodges is notoriously challenging in February.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

KillinTime wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:33 am Another fine video.
What do you think the effect of all those carp are on the bass population?
Hodges has always had a ton of carp and it never seemed to effect the bass population!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Pourboy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:18 pm
Hotcarrotz wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 pm Has anyone been having tough days at Hodges lately?
Basically all the bass fishermen that I have talked to have struggled so far. Crappie has been on for lots. The lake has come up several feet very quickly and Hodges is notoriously challenging in February.
Yep, Hodges is famous for it's cold muddy water in the spring. It has the largest watershed in San Diego and gets runoff for weeks after storms. The crappie don't mind so much, the bass..not so happy.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Mcfish wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:28 pm
Pourboy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:18 pm
Yep, Hodges is famous for it's cold muddy water in the spring. It has the largest watershed in San Diego and gets runoff for weeks after storms. The crappie don't mind so much, the bass..not so happy.
I concur.
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Crappie jigs caught both a 6.5 lb and a 7+ lb bass last weekend on Saturday.

I just got 1 little one this week and a better one last week on the UL 500 size spinning reel fishing the main channels with jigs, in my kayak.
20240217_110705.jpg
Last edited by blackcloud9 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Kayak Fishing Photos
https://LarryL.com/photos
BeatTheSkunk
Angler

Post by BeatTheSkunk »

Yeah, it's been a grind out there!

I will echo the others in that everyone I talked to on the water got 2 or less (bass). I put in a lot of cold, shivering hours this particular day to only net a couple, though they were quality.

Got one on a spinnerbait and one on a small crank. Neither bite was aggressive, just suddenly some weight there. I figured all the rains made the water even murkier, so the fish were up very shallow, and very tight to cover. I think you basically had to put it right in their face or it was nada.

Makes one really feel like they're "earning" Spring eh?
Attachments
IMG_4947.jpg
IMG_4935.jpg
Hotcarrotz
Angler

Post by Hotcarrotz »

Great catches guys and thanks for the info!