Crawdads vs. Jigs: Which Will Catch More Bass

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Re: Crawdads vs. Jigs: Which Will Catch More Bass

Post by Pourboy »

Whatever works for you.
sawheeler52
Angler

Post by sawheeler52 »

Had to throw in my 2-cents.
Not a live bait fisherman, so can make no comment here.
Now jig fishing, that's another thing.
Now I recognize there are many excellent jig plastic trailers (which I use), especially those craw-like; but I have my lifetime favorite jig rig.
3/8 oz black marabou jig with the biggest black & blue Uncle Josh pork frog you can find.
I have had them pick up this one just sitting on the bottom.
StinkyPinky23
Mega Pro Angler

Post by StinkyPinky23 »

I swear I remember as a teenager finding out that Sam V had craws with totally different colorations than the typical red/black and green/browns. I can’t find anything about it online as it was so long ago/ As far as the red vs. green/brown, to me it’s far more of a “red flag” if you will. The green and brown craws are typically softer with smaller claws. Bass know this. I’d assume that while growing to maturity they also molt more often, then they’re really soft and defenseless
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

StinkyPinky23 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:04 am I swear I remember as a teenager finding out that Sam V had craws with totally different colorations than the typical red/black and green/browns. I can’t find anything about it online as it was so long ago/ As far as the red vs. green/brown, to me it’s far more of a “red flag” if you will. The green and brown craws are typically softer with smaller claws. Bass know this. I’d assume that while growing to maturity they also molt more often, then they’re really soft and defenseless
I threw dads quite a bit at San V back in the 70s- 80s, mostly greens, just because I caught more fish on them. I caught some nice fish on big reds, but greens would get more action. There were some crazy colored local dads in San V, blues and almost a purple color. I definitely don't see the number of dads now compared to back then..in the old'n days! I see way more dads up in June Lake in the Sierras...strange!
Fishtricks
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Fishtricks »

Nice fish BP!
Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Camobass…. Braid takes care of the spirals, 8 feet of Flourocarbon leader , fends off the rough bottom.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

One thing to keep in mind as far as jigs and worms vs live dads is that with jigs you are covering more water than you are with dads. You are making more casts with jigs or worms so you are covering more structure and exposing the bait to more fish. Even if you are stitching crawdads, you are still probably making 3 or 4 casts with a jig for every cast you make with a live crawdad. If you are soaking the live bait then you are covering even more water with an artificial. I feel like that may explain a bit of the difference in the numbers between the two.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

In the book Knowing Bass, the author describes an experiment done at Berkley where they started with a plastic craw and did modifications to see what worked best. Removing the claws and other legs worked the best. They tried longer, shorter and fatter shapes and the craw body size was about best. It turns out that bass don't like getting pinched in the face by claws anymore than we would.

At the time, they didn't pursue this further as they thought a featureless bait the size of a craw body wouldn't sell. Now we have Ned baits that aren't too far from that shape.

https://www.amazon.com/Knowing-Bass-Sci ... 159228616X
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

sawheeler52 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:18 pm Had to throw in my 2-cents.
Not a live bait fisherman, so can make no comment here.
Now jig fishing, that's another thing.
Now I recognize there are many excellent jig plastic trailers (which I use), especially those craw-like; but I have my lifetime favorite jig rig.
3/8 oz black marabou jig with the biggest black & blue Uncle Josh pork frog you can find.
I have had them pick up this one just sitting on the bottom.
Marabou jig and pork..now that's old school!
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Gotfish? wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:44 pm In the book Knowing Bass, the author describes an experiment done at Berkley where they started with a plastic craw and did modifications to see what worked best. Removing the claws and other legs worked the best. They tried longer, shorter and fatter shapes and the craw body size was about best. It turns out that bass don't like getting pinched in the face by claws anymore than we would.

At the time, they didn't pursue this further as they thought a featureless bait the size of a craw body wouldn't sell. Now we have Ned baits that aren't too far from that shape.

Gravity baits like the Deps Cover Scat, the “poop baits” if you will are a similar idea as well.
https://thehookuptackle.com/products/co ... s=e&_v=1.0
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:48 pm
Gotfish? wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:44 pm In the book Knowing Bass, the author describes an experiment done at Berkley where they started with a plastic craw and did modifications to see what worked best. Removing the claws and other legs worked the best. They tried longer, shorter and fatter shapes and the craw body size was about best. It turns out that bass don't like getting pinched in the face by claws anymore than we would.

Gravity baits like the Deps Cover Scat, the “poop baits” if you will are a similar idea as well.
https://thehookuptackle.com/products/co ... s=e&_v=1.0
Dogs would be attracted to that lure too. Not that I would fish for dogs though.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Pourboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:43 pm Bait fishing is an art form for sure! I think it's funny when people look down on others for it. It is not nearly as easy as it appears. Like fishing shiners and getting them to go where you want. For that I just use a Jedi mind control technique, but everyone has their own ways.
Maybe I will see you there! You'll be the guy in the tube catching fish, I'll be the guy in a tube catching a cold.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Dannicus wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:07 am
Pourboy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:43 pm Bait fishing is an art form for sure! I think it's funny when people look down on others for it. It is not nearly as easy as it appears. Like fishing shiners and getting them to go where you want. For that I just use a Jedi mind control technique, but everyone has their own ways.
Maybe I will see you there! You'll be the guy in the tube catching fish, I'll be the guy in a tube catching a cold.
That is hilarious!!! See you out there!