Oxbow Fishing the Colorado River and Lake Mohave

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Oxbow Fishing the Colorado River and Lake Mohave

Post by Pourboy »

Hey all one of my goals for the new year is to step out and try lots of new fishing spots. I headed to Lake Mohave over the Christmas holidays and ended up getting blown out for the most part, literally. The day I got there the wind was blowing 30-40mph, day 2 was a bit better only 20-25 so I took the tube out for a couple hours. It was what I imaging living in a washing machine is like. Day 3 I was tired and a bit grumpy and almost didn't fish at all but my wife convinced me to head out for a couple hours. I launched at Katherine Landing and the wind ended up quitting all together. With a full moon and clear skies that bass still had lock jaw for the most part, but I did end up seeing lots of GIANT SMALLMOUTH. I ended up hooking up to one on a ned rig but ended up breaking the 4+lb smallie on some underwater metal structure (lots of that in the area, apparently it was a mining camp originally). Ti' better to have hooked and lost then never to have hooked at all!(I keep telling myself) It would have been my biggest smallie for sure. Lake Mohave watch out, I'll be back...

Now onto last weekend. With the wife working all weekend and me having an unusual 3 day weekend I decided to head off for the Imperial Valley and try some Oxbow fishing on a spot that I heard was amazing. Unfortunately, I will not name specific spots where I went in order to protect the innocent. (and because I promised that I wouldn't tell) I got to the area that I was going to fish and camp and for the first time in quite a while was able to do both in the same spot. After setting up camp I got the Robotube set up and headed out. Within just a few minutes I had my first fish on an old Mann's 10+ crank. I continued to explore the area but came up with only one other dink on a dropshotted Keitech. I ran into a couple of locals who said the fishing had been great but a cold front came through and shut everything down. (Noooooooo!) I figured I would at least explore the area and have fun doing what I set out to do which was try new spots. I ended up going back to camp having a wonderful dinner, a small fire and a couple beverages while enjoying the stars and an audiobook. The scenery was awesome and I was just happy being out there.

After a restful sleep I awoke to a 30 degree morning and spent a few extra minutes in bed. I got up and made some tea and oatmeal and heard a truck coming and voices. A few minutes later a family came and asked if they could walk through my campsite to get to the water where their friend could pick them up in a boat (there was a shallow boat launch nearby). I always appreciate people being respectful and this man woman and their child were very much so. As their friend rounded the tules to the opening where I was camped I said hi to the guy in the boat and asked I they needed help since I already had my waders on. The guys said he was ok and then mentioned that I looked a lot like a guy he watches on Youtube, The Beefshaman. I said that was me and apparently both guys watch the videos, which was pretty cool. I said that this was my first time in the area and that I caught a couple but that was all. Both guys reiterated what I was told before about it was good but... Then they both looked at each other and I saw some unstated understanding between them. The guy in the boat then mentioned that there was this other spot... They proceeded to tell me of another location not too far away that was 10x better than this one but it was kind of secret and I couldn't say any names if I made a video. I promised that I would not and they told me the name of the spot and to just Google it and I could figure out how to get there. I asked them why they were here if that spot was better and they let me know they were only here to test out the new electronics in the boat because it was closer and for the wife and son to go for a little ride. Indeed they ended up only stay in that area for about 30 minutes and left.

I did launch my tube to try this spot one more time but got nothing in that 30 minutes. As they pulled their boat out I decided it was time to leave camp, put my tube in the car and find this secret spot. After about 45 minutes of searching high and low online I found out absolutely nothing except that there was a Bait and Tackle store a ways away and I figured I would go there and ask. I found out that the store was no longer in business but did see a gas station in the area. Needing gas anyway I headed into the store to find a little old couple running the place and asked them about it. They said they had heard about that spot but didn't know how to get there. They decided to phone a friend of theirs who fished and definitely new the spot. They put the phone on speaker and I got to listen to the conversation.
Gas Station Lady- "I'll call Dave he'll know the spot"
Phone rings
Dave- "Hello?'
GS Lady- "Hey Dave how do you get to ________?"
Dave- "Who wants to know?"
GS Lady- "A guy is here asking how to get there"
Dave- "That's my secret spot! I'm not telling anyone!"
GS Lady- "Come on Dave, don't be like that!"
Dave- "Forget it, no way!"

This went on and led nowhere except for me to get more excited about the spot. I sat with the old couple (in their 80s I figured) and poured over paper maps and my maps online. We didn't figure out much except that it was between here and there and closer to there. I thanked them for their time, filled up my tank and continued the treasure hunt.

I drove about 30 minutes down dirt roads and ended up at this place with a couple people hanging about and asked them. After some more of "I've heard of it" and "it might be close to" they got on the phone to someone who gave me actual instructions. One problem. The road they told me to go on were not on any of the navigation I tried. After drive around and some deductive reasoning I came upon a small sign with the road name on it. Jackpot!!! I knew that once I found that road then I had to just follow the final instructions and I was there. Driving, turning, turning, driving I came upon a sign. I arrived at the spot! At a few points along the journey I almost thought this was a snipe hunt that they sent out of towners on when they came looking for a secret spot. Sure enough I got my stuff ready and as I got in the water a man and his son who were duck hunting. I let them know it took a while to find the spot but I was excited to try it. They said that there was one guy there earlier who got his limit of bass and crappie in just a couple hours and left. This made me even more excited.

By the time I found the place and got in the water I only had a few hours to fish. I was not disappointed.

It took a bit to find out what they wanted but when I finally started throwing a Rattle Trap it was on. I probably got close to 20 bass and crappie. Lots were smaller but super fun. I ended up coming back the next morning for a couple hours and ended up with 20 more bass and 10 crappie. I have to say this was super memorable and fun experience that was reminiscent of being on a scavenger or treasure hunt as a child and finally finding the treasure! I will be back for sure as there are some many areas to explore and places to try. Get out there and try somewhere new and have lots of adventures in 2024!

Watch the video (Part 1 of 3) for more details about the fishing and the spots.

Cheers!
Attachments
IV 1.jpg
IV 4.jpg
IV 5.jpg
IV 6.jpg
mcquade outdoors
Pro Angler

Re: Oxbow Fishing the Colorado River and Lake Mohave

Post by mcquade outdoors »

ive done similar trips but in the summer. Always fun out that way!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

I’m thinking of heading back Memorial Day weekend. Can’t wait to go back. Thought of you out there and fishing from your setup would be very practical. Cheers!
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

Wow! That was a great write up
mcquade outdoors
Pro Angler

Post by mcquade outdoors »

Pourboy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:46 pm I’m thinking of heading back Memorial Day weekend. Can’t wait to go back. Thought of you out there and fishing from your setup would be very practical. Cheers!
Thats a very busy weekend to fish. The sup works great flipping the tullies and getting in realy tight to them.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

foulhook wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:44 pm Wow! That was a great write up
It was a great time. Just wanted to share and glad you appreciated it. Can’t wait for the next episode.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Looking forward to the next episode for sure. Also appreciate the honest beer review. So many will candy coat an online review not to offend the manufacturer. Have you ever tried the Nelson IPA from Alpine Brewery. I think it is my favorite right now and definitely one of my all time favorites.

Keep up the good times!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

KillinTime wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:30 am Looking forward to the next episode for sure. Also appreciate the honest beer review. So many will candy coat an online review not to offend the manufacturer. Have you ever tried the Nelson IPA from Alpine Brewery. I think it is my favorite right now and definitely one of my all time favorites.

Keep up the good times!
Thanks a lot! I agree too many people do that. I have had Nelson but not for a long time. I will have to revisit. Thanks for the recommendation.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

I know which spot you were referring to when you said it had a launch ramp. I went out there a few years back once and was surprised how many people fish that section. I wish I had brought my float tube but I figured the current would be a little strong for me to stay in one area but it looks like there wasn't as much current through there when you went
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

professionull wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:43 pm I know which spot you were referring to when you said it had a launch ramp. I went out there a few years back once and was surprised how many people fish that section. I wish I had brought my float tube but I figured the current would be a little strong for me to stay in one area but it looks like there wasn't as much current through there when you went
Thanks for watching. You’ll see in the next video there was zero current in that area.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

Pourboy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:03 pm
professionull wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:43 pm I know which spot you were referring to when you said it had a launch ramp. I went out there a few years back once and was surprised how many people fish that section. I wish I had brought my float tube but I figured the current would be a little strong for me to stay in one area but it looks like there wasn't as much current through there when you went
Thanks for watching. You’ll see in the next video there was zero current in that area.
Yep. I noticed in your video it was definitely not the same flow when I went there (which was about late spring). Did you ever fish Palo Verde dam from the shore?
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

That place in the beginning of your video is loaded with nice crappie. Surprised you didn’t get any bycatches off shore.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

livin' the dream. Glad you found that secret spot!
Check your PMs!!! 8-)

:!: :!: :!:

J/K :evil:
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

professionull wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:48 pm
Pourboy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:03 pm
Yep. I noticed in your video it was definitely not the same flow when I went there (which was about late spring). Did you ever fish Palo Verde dam from the shore?
I have not fished the Palo Verde Dam from shore. This was my first time to that area and I will definitely be back.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Hey again,
Here is Part 2 of the trip if anyone is interested. Part 3 will be out a week from today. Cheers!

KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Love the Pizza Port!
Thanks for sharing!
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

UPDATE!
Hey all here is the Part 3 from the Colorado River Oxbow Fishing Videos. Cheers! It was soooo much fun out there. Can't wait to go back.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Great videos!!!
I watch them full screen on my Mac,
turn up the volume on my external speakers
and its like I am setting the hook and reeling
them in. My mouth sometimes even waters
when you pull out some of beers… ha ha
Anyway, looks like you had a blast and
thanks for sharing your adventures with us.
Tight lines always
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thanks! I do that too!
supfishingwill
Angler

Post by supfishingwill »

always been thinking of taking the paddleboard somewhere out there. you've inspired me to pull the trigger!