Tiny jig has been killing it at Murray.

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Tiny jig has been killing it at Murray.

Post by Dannicus »

I've been absolutely killing it at Murray.  Fishing my BFS setup with a 1/16 oz Keitech Mono Spin jig paired with a Z-Man 2.5 inch TRD Crawz.  Both in green pumpkin. I must have caught 20 keeper sized bass in my last 2 trips.  
Nute
Angler

Re: Tiny jig has been killing it at Murray.

Post by Nute »

What lb line you running on your BFS setup?
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

On for this 10lb. Yo-Zuri braid to a 10 lb. flouro leader. On my ultralight I run 6lb PE nanobraid to a 4lb. flouro leader.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Nice job! You’re doing better than anyone I’ve talked to there in the last few weeks. Skunks and one fish or two fish is the best I’ve heard. Guessing small baits is the key to success. Thanks for sharing and tight lines. :-)
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:30 pm Nice job! You’re doing better than anyone I’ve talked to there in the last few weeks. Skunks and one fish or two fish is the best I’ve heard. Guessing small baits is the key to success. Thanks for sharing and tight lines. :-)
Honestly, I think that's it. That's all that has been working for me that's for certain.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Love the little baits! How deep are you getting those fish?
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Mcfish wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:54 pm Love the little baits! How deep are you getting those fish?
Most are hanging at around 12-15 feet right off of dropoffs into deeper water. Just bouncing the jig over and off the ledge.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:30 pm Nice job! You’re doing better than anyone I’ve talked to there in the last few weeks. Skunks and one fish or two fish is the best I’ve heard. Guessing small baits is the key to success. Thanks for sharing and tight lines. :-)
And I know you're been catching some. You were landing one just as I was leaving last week. Don't try to sandbag me Vinny :evil:
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

Dannicus wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:08 pm
And I know you're been catching some. You were landing one just as I was leaving last week. Don't try to sandbag me Vinny :evil:
'Ol Sandbag Vinny....
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 pm
'Ol Sandbag Vinny....
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words coming from a guy who bites the heads off of Roboworms will never hurt me. :-)
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

VinnyBass wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:28 am
Mcfish wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 pm
'Ol Sandbag Vinny....
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words coming from a guy who bites the heads off of Roboworms will never hurt me. :-)
I am unimpressed, anyone can bite the heads off Roboworms. Show me a man who bites the heads off Gulp! worms.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

Fish don’t see baits that tiny very often. They haven’t become educated that those little baits bite back yet. Nice work!
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

The small stuff works but if you want the Big Girls, throw them some meat. The Females will suck down Crawdads to get calcium for their eggs, mostly though, they will eat any meal that is easy to catch. A minimum of effort. They are slowed down by the cool water. If you were to dive down(I have) and watch them, they seem pretty lethargic. Most of the time sitting on the bottom right above the thermocline. You’ve got to get that bait right in front of their nose, while not giving them any reason for caution. You need enough heft to set the hook in their bony mouths. You also need heavy enough gear to keep them away from structure. For me that’s 15 pound Flourocarbon. So you need a big enough bait to use that heavy line. My go to is a 10 inch black worm smothered in Dr. Juice. I stitch that very slow, 5-8 minutes a cast with periods of Deadsticking. I imagine the Bass hovering over my worm, ready to inhale it.
The small stuff is great for numbers. In 60 years I’ve only landed one Bass in excess of ten pounds on light line(6 pound). The rest led to heartbreak. You can get them to bite on light gear but it is tough to land them. The big Girls are different. They are strong and smart. I’m well over a 100 trophy Bass on the 15 pound. Most of these were around rock piles in 12-25 feet of water with good weed beds nearby if you can find spots where the Thermocline intersects the Rockpile. You have found gold! Fish it hard, fish it slow, hit it from different angles. Fish it in the rain. It will produce sooner or later. The rest were on the big Swimbaits, fished by theirs rock piles, but those are a lot of work. If one of my Angling Brothers gets their PB after reading this, my job is complete. I really like everybody to catch Fish. Big Fish.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thanks for the update. I’ll give that a try!
Ol Dirty Basser
Angler

Post by Ol Dirty Basser »

Killin' em in the dead of winter. I have some very similar jigs that I've been meaning to try out there.
Moose
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Moose »

Big fish hunting is a totally different mind set. You have to be willing to go out and not get bites, or maybe only one or two bites in a day. For me, I just have fun catching fish, big or small. I just enjoy figuring out the bite and setting the hook into a fish.

It takes a certain type of fisherman to target big fish, especially successfully. I have been very lucky to have caught 4 fish over 10lbs but I don’t have the mind set to sit and fish for one or two bites. I have too much fun just catching.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

bendopolo 44+ wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:06 pm The small stuff works but if you want the Big Girls, throw them some meat. The Females will suck down Crawdads to get calcium for their eggs, mostly though, they will eat any meal that is easy to catch. A minimum of effort. They are slowed down by the cool water. If you were to dive down(I have) and watch them, they seem pretty lethargic. Most of the time sitting on the bottom right above the thermocline. You’ve got to get that bait right in front of their nose, while not giving them any reason for caution. You need enough heft to set the hook in their bony mouths. You also need heavy enough gear to keep them away from structure. For me that’s 15 pound Flourocarbon. So you need a big enough bait to use that heavy line. My go to is a 10 inch black worm smothered in Dr. Juice. I stitch that very slow, 5-8 minutes a cast with periods of Deadsticking. I imagine the Bass hovering over my worm, ready to inhale it.
The small stuff is great for numbers. In 60 years I’ve only landed one Bass in excess of ten pounds on light line(6 pound). The rest led to heartbreak. You can get them to bite on light gear but it is tough to land them. The big Girls are different. They are strong and smart. I’m well over a 100 trophy Bass on the 15 pound. Most of these were around rock piles in 12-25 feet of water with good weed beds nearby if you can find spots where the Thermocline intersects the Rockpile. You have found gold! Fish it hard, fish it slow, hit it from different angles. Fish it in the rain. It will produce sooner or later. The rest were on the big Swimbaits, fished by theirs rock piles, but those are a lot of work. If one of my Angling Brothers gets their PB after reading this, my job is complete. I really like everybody to catch Fish. Big Fish.
Awesome info, but for me... I'm just in it to have fun. It's my zen activity and BFS has it's place especially when the goal isn't a PB, but just to get on the water in my float tube and have fun.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Moose wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:32 pm Big fish hunting is a totally different mind set. You have to be willing to go out and not get bites, or maybe only one or two bites in a day. For me, I just have fun catching fish, big or small. I just enjoy figuring out the bite and setting the hook into a fish.

It takes a certain type of fisherman to target big fish, especially successfully. I have been very lucky to have caught 4 fish over 10lbs but I don’t have the mind set to sit and fish for one or two bites. I have too much fun just catching.
Yep agreed!

I've done my share of big fish fishing too. Now I have no goal, nothing to prove, and just enjoy myself no matter what gear or style I decide to use from day to day.

Vinny has seen me do both. Whatever mood strikes me, I go with. Right now I am loving my BFS
Last edited by Dannicus on Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Got another 4 today. So much fun on light gear.