Pro Bass Angler Forfeits $100K in Winnings When It’s Discovered He Didn’t Have a Fishing License

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Pro Bass Angler Forfeits $100K in Winnings When It’s Discovered He Didn’t Have a Fishing License

Post by Neuroshima »

LOL

Last Sunday was a sad ending to what should have been a banner weekend for professional bass fisherman Barron Adams. The 41-year-old angler from Mineral Bluff, Georgia, was competing in a National Professional Fishing League tournament on Wright Patman Lake in East Texas, and he fished well throughout the three-day event. Going into the final weigh-in on April 23, Adams had the heaviest total weight of bass and was looking at a $100,000 payday.

But the devil is in the details, as they say—and fishing is no exception. Because when NPFL tournament organizers did their due diligence after the weigh-in, they discovered that Adams did not have a valid Texas fishing license in his possession. Adams was disqualified as a result.

“A simple, honest mistake cost Barron Adams $100k,” NPFL explained in a Facebook post. “During the post-tournament polygraph Barron was asked if he had a valid fishing license, [to] which he answered, ‘yes.’ He passed the polygraph. However, when asked to physically provide a copy or proof of the official license, he realized that after entering all of his information online (before fishing) he never fully completed the process.”

With Adams out of the running, local Texarkana angler Ryan Satterfield was named champion of the tournament. Satterfield had a combined three-day weight of 50 lbs. 4 oz.

“Ryan has dreamed of winning a national event on his home lake,” NPFL added, “but [he] never imagined it would happen this way.”

In a press release, NPFL official Brad Fuller spoke positively of Adams and said that the league does not hold the honest mistake against him.

“The League is confident that this was an inadvertent and unintentional rules violation on Barron’s behalf, and this is in no way a reflection of his integrity as an angler,” Fuller said. “Barron is a great person and a phenomenal angler, and we are proud to have him as a competitor in the National Professional Fishing League.”
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Re: Pro Bass Angler Forfeits $100K in Winnings When It’s Discovered He Didn’t Have a Fishing License

Post by Fisheromen »

wow, just wow!
Slater
Pro Angler

Re: Pro Bass Angler Forfeits $100K in Winnings When It’s Discovered He Didn’t Have a Fishing License

Post by Slater »

Lame that they dont mention Adams weigh-in total compared to Satterefields, not like itt really matters though....
Adams wont be sleeping well for abit....
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Slater wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:18 pm Lame that they dont mention Adams weigh-in total compared to Satterefields, not like itt really matters though....
Adams wont be sleeping well for abit....
I was wondering what his total weight was, too. It's not like he cheated, he "legitimately" had the biggest bag, so props to him. Sucks on the technicality though.

Do they really do polygraphs at tournaments?
Stringbean
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

Out of state licenses should be included in tournament fees. Just like lake fees here.
Most guys come from out of town.
That sucks
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Odd, I don't know what it's like in Georgia but here I fill out the info online, submit it and a short time later I get an electronic copy of the transaction by email that I can print out and keep in my wallet for proof of license until the paper copy arrives. If I don't get the email, then I assume I didn't complete something. Not much different from buying from Amazon, Bass Pro or Tacklewarehouse. Doesn't seem complicated.

There is a saying that 90% of life is just showing up. He didn't "show up".

Why anyone would ask for a polygraph is weird, why not just ask for a paper or electronic copy of the license? The few times I have been stopped by Fish and Game, they just ask for the license, no polygraph nonsense.

Anyone here been asked for a polygraph instead of a license?
Avid_Angler
Global Moderator

Post by Avid_Angler »

That's crazy how they use polygraph like these people are potential felons :o
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Polygraph is necessary when there are 100’s of thousands of $ involved and you have mike long’s out there as well as those walleye guys. Those guys failed a previous polygraph before they got busted stuffing lead weights and filets in those walleye. Plus random questions like a license I believe is to get a read on the machine. The question was probably coincidental to the fact he actually didn’t have a license
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Stringbean
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

This should have been verified before the tournament, same as to verify vessel insurance , boat regestation , safety inspection . Photo ID. This is or the tournament organizer.
Not everyone is a cheater. And snagging 20lbers is not as easy said then done.
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

True, not everyone but they are out there.
I imagine the license was on honest mistake. Most out of state non resident licenses are half the cost of our resident license in ca.
I’ve heard accounts of guys gaffing marlin onto the swimstep to measure them and then through them back in the water. People get lazy and start stretching the rules. I’ve never fished a tournament and had my license inspected by a tournament organizer. I’ve fished bass tourneys but most my tourney experience is off shore.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Stringbean
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

I remember when the law changed from wearing a license above the waist. To what it is now.
They tried to put enforcement on the sport boats to check before boarding.
Never stuck., many lakes like Toledo bend border two states. Just sad to see a mistake be so costly.
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

These days, people cheat for 5 bucks! The Walleye boys probably changed how big tournament payouts are made now. Cheating or not..losing a hundred grand is a big Ouch!