First Time BFS today at Murray

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

First Time BFS today at Murray

Post by Dannicus »

My new reel arrived yesterday.  I pre-ordered it over a month ago.  It's an Ark Gravity BFS reel.  I paired it with a Ray Fishing 7 ft Tarantula finesse rod, and spooled it with 6lb. nanobraid and a 6lb. flourocarbon leader.

If you'd have told me yesterday that I could cast a tiny 1/16 oz. (or smaller) lure with a baitcaster as far as I do with my ultralight trout rods I'd have laughed and called you nuts.  I was so wrong!  This thing casts a mile and it's as smooth a silk.

Consider me a BFS convert.  All the distance of my trout rods with the pinpoint accuracy and control of a baitcaster.  Easy to dial in and adjust I was able to launch it thumb free with no overruns.  It'll never take the place of my beloved Bass rigs for big fish but it's added a whole new level of fun.  I doubt I will ever head out again without this in a rod holder spot on my tube.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Re: First Time BFS today at Murray

Post by KillinTime »

Game changer, nice!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Nice setup. The first time I casted my BFS setup I was stunned also. It may outcast my ultralight spinning rod. Although if (when) I get a birds nest, I am not looking forward to undoing it. :)
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Yeah I fished it today and got a little overrun on that light PE line, but was able to pick it out. It happened casting directly into a stiff wind. Still, after I picked it out, I set the magnets up a few notches and it was fine. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. But 1 nest in two full days of fishing with a new rod and reel? I call that a win really lol
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

definitely a win. :)
nitro929
Angler

Post by nitro929 »

I'm considering a BFS set up....
what is a mile? I have 8lb braid with a 6lb leader on a 7' spinning set up that i'll fly line a z shad on and will maybe get 20-25' if i'm lucky but the busters need to be close. are you getting better distance then that?
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

Yep. I am casting a small paddletail on a 1/16 jighead about 50 feet (without wind) I use 5lb. nanobraid to a 6lb. flourocarbon leader.
I'm gonna order another Ark BFS reel but they sold out and are on backorder. Gonna pair it with a Dobyns sierra and 10lb. braid for a bass rig. I am loving BFS for sure!