San Diego Bay Fishing Dialed In! With A Bonefish Bonus!

Fishing discussions and reports for San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, and the lagoons of North County.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

San Diego Bay Fishing Dialed In! With A Bonefish Bonus!

Post by Pourboy »

Hey all I hope the holiday season is treating you right. I headed out to the big bay for some fishing and had not been out there in a while. I met up with some people that said the fishing was slow but picking up. Launched the tube from Tidelands Park and headed north trying some new areas. I got a few on lipless cranks and one on an A-Rig but that was it for the first couple hours. I then turned south past the bridge on the flats (which I really love to fish) and quickly dialed in the spotties on both the lipless and my go to Gulp Minnow on the underspin. The fish started rolling in and also ended up with 2 halibut around 15in. each. I started with the 4" Gulp and scaled back to the 3" and it made all the difference. I lost track of how many I caught and really had my best fishing day in a few months. On the way back in I was trolling the gulp and went to pull it in and got one more fish. My first bonefish on an artificial! I've caught plenty on ghost shrimp but have been hoping for one on a lure.

All in all it was an awesome day on the Big Bay. Check out the video for more details. Cheers and my your holiday fishing wishes come true!
galen
Pro Angler

Re: San Diego Bay Fishing Dialed In! With A Bonefish Bonus!

Post by galen »

Great fishing. Was this today? I was in that area today. Unfortunately for me, you got more “bonus fish” than I got all day! Maybe I need to try the 6lb test for a trip or two.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

galen wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:32 pm Great fishing. Was this today? I was in that area today. Unfortunately for me, you got more “bonus fish” than I got all day! Maybe I need to try the 6lb test for a trip or two.
This was actually on Sunday. I've just been working a lot and it takes a while to edit the footage. As for the 6lb it is super fun. Give it a go! Cheers!
Fishtricks
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Fishtricks »

Nice
Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Great going!! We went early on Sunday and it was just a slow pick. You definitely had a better bite later with the breeze and the falling tide. And those flats are always holding variety. Once caught a decent juvenile white seabass right where you were.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

It was fun for sure. I love it when you just never know what you’ll get.
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

Outstanding session, congrats on the bone fish on a artificial
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

vdisney wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:14 am Outstanding session, congrats on the bone fish on a artificial
Thanks! It was a fun day.
Boosh
Angler

Post by Boosh »

Always enjoy watching your video's! Thanks for this one
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Thank you! Funny, I'm doing a San Diego Bay sesh this weekend! I think the first one in a few months. Let's see how it goes. Cheers!
Boosh
Angler

Post by Boosh »

Curious what time and if there was a tide in or out when you were catching everything by the strand near the end. I want to hit the bay on a week day and need to try and time the drive either before or after rush hour. I’m from Alpine and rush hour ads about an hour to the commute.
Pourboy
Extreme Angler

Post by Pourboy »

Boosh wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:12 am Curious what time and if there was a tide in or out when you were catching everything by the strand near the end. I want to hit the bay on a week day and need to try and time the drive either before or after rush hour. I’m from Alpine and rush hour ads about an hour to the commute.
I usually try to time it so that I start with an incoming tide and leave with the outgoing tide. If I remember correctly that was exactly that on that day. I was fishing an outgoing tide. I usually try to fish with moderate to large tides and have almost always done better if the water is moving either in or out.

Here is the website that I like the best for the tides. It is easiest for me to see quickly without having to do math. Cheers! I hope this helps.

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations ... des/latest