Advice plz!: Headin to The River

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
BeatTheSkunk
Angler

Advice plz!: Headin to The River

Post by BeatTheSkunk »

I bumped into a gentleman recently while fishing my go-to, (hike-to) San Diego Reservoir. He told me to go check out fishing around Blythe as he loved it there once the weather cools off. He grumbled off names that sounded like Aha quin, Waterwheel, and Rancho Not-so-Grande.

If anyone has any knowledge they'd be willing to share like where to stay, if my timing will be decent (12-25 - 1/1) or if I should wait, what baits/presentations one might throw (granted, I really wanna catch my first smallmouth & experiment throwing bigger swimbaits), any cool restaurants or bars or even telling me to ask another forum, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'd be bringing a wife that doesn't fish, a hound that's a handful, and a kayak to fish off.

Thanks yall!
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Advice plz!: Headin to The River

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

I’ve got no Blythe knowledge (I’m sure there are many here who do), but you can find smallmouth in the imperial valley canals much closer to SD. Look for check gates and drops in any of the canals on Google earth and you are in good shape to find fish.

Got my first Smallmouth out there a couple months back and just got my first two pounder last weekend.
Attachments
ECEE30A0-323D-4674-896D-4C5DE6003BBC.jpeg
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

IMG_5526.jpeg
Oxbow near palo verde.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
BeatTheSkunk
Angler

Post by BeatTheSkunk »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:26 pm I’ve got no Blythe knowledge (I’m sure there are many here who do), but you can find smallmouth in the imperial valley canals much closer to SD. Look for check gates and drops in any of the canals on Google earth and you are in good shape to find fish.

Got my first Smallmouth out there a couple months back and just got my first two pounder last weekend.
So excited for smallmouth. Did it fight noticeably harder than a largemouth? (that's what I always hear)
BeatTheSkunk
Angler

Post by BeatTheSkunk »

camobass wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:55 pm IMG_5526.jpegOxbow near palo verde.
Thanks!
Your response makes me feel like I just luckily happened upon a treasure map...one that I will definitely go explore. Thanks for the hot tip.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

That’s a cool lagoon. There’s river access too but that’s the fee side. The oxbow lake is free and there are bathrooms (if you dare) good crappie fishing this time of year if you have a fish finder. Bass fishing is good too. Water is usually very clear and there are some spots that you can only get to by yak.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

BeatTheSkunk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:01 pm
CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:26 pm I’ve got no Blythe knowledge (I’m sure there are many here who do), but you can find smallmouth in the imperial valley canals much closer to SD. Look for check gates and drops in any of the canals on Google earth and you are in good shape to find fish.

So excited for smallmouth. Did it fight noticeably harder than a largemouth? (that's what I always hear)
Yes definitely, AND I caught it on a light power rod & reel in current, so it was an awesome fight.
Brian D
Angler

Post by Brian D »

2nd on the Palo Verde oxbow. Fished there a few times. Not much out there but farming and lots of night stars.