Lake Wohlford

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Lake Wohlford

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Hit Wohlford on Saturday for a recon trip. My buddy Bryn called up saying he was stuck in Escondido and needed to catch a Bass. Not a lot of Daytime options right now for some epic style fishing so I found some info on Wohlford and ran down, picked up Bryn and hit the Lake. It was $72 for two fishing passes and a Bass Boat rental as there is no float Tubing or Kayak fishing allowed. We really needed a Fish Finder as there seems to be no good Topo maps available. We flipped the Tules for one aggressive Bass that chased my Senko into the air, sucked down the bait, hit the side of the boat and came off. That was early, we pounded that lake for 4 fruitless hours, we switched to throwing small Swim Jigs under the roving Western Grebes. I hooked this fish in 40 feet of water and on 6 pound test no less. She was thick and healthy and really fought hard. I was really wishing I had brought my net. By the time I finally got her to the boat, it was an easy thumb and lift. While we were working hard for a Bass Bite, the other rental boats were on a spectacular Catfish bite and everybody that was throwing hunks of bait had big stringers hanging over the side of their boats. Some of those Catfish looked to be pretty big. Perfect day, no wind, we just couldn’t get on the fish. I feel like I needed to find some deep structure to find the Bass. I just never found the group of fish that could produce numbers on this trip. Looking forward to Spring when I will give this little Lake another chance. If I don’t go Catfishing..
Attachments
IMG_2345.jpeg
IMG_2340.jpeg
Last edited by bendopolo 44+ on Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Re: Lake Wohlford

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Lots of reports of slow fishing all over the county this weekend, so I don’t think you were alone in that. Seems like right now San V is still the only lake with any consistent bite. Cap has been mostly a miss lately. Just a weird year for bassin in SD county.

Nice catch! Tight lines to you buddy!
Dannicus
Extreme Angler

Post by Dannicus »

It has been a weird year. I've caught only a 3 over 5lb. Bass the entire year and I've been fishing a LOT.

I am saving my entire year (volume-wise anyway), by fishing more ultralight gear and baits. Nothing huge but at least catching a lot of fish.
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Nice one!