San V report on 11/13/23

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Early release
Extreme Angler

San V report on 11/13/23

Post by Early release »

Hello all,

Headed out to San V with John W today. Got started around 0730, because it's cold and there's no hurry when it's windy in the morning. Plugged around most of the day mixing small hardbaits (me) and softbaits (John). Not a whole lot of activity. Did pick up an impressive bluegill that nailed an underspin. However the weight at first glance was underwhelming, since it said 0.53, but it was in kg, so converting to pounds, means that little fish was about 1 pound 2 ounces. Not a bad bluegill.

We found some busters not relating to anything while we cruised around, but they weren't interested in our offerings. Water temp was about 65 degrees, wind mostly calm and clear skies for the most part. Didn't see anyone doing much, but maybe back in some of the arms there was more happening?

Did practice with a new BFS baitcasting rod and reel, and that's really nice. Hard to imagine, but that nifty little setup outcasted my spinning rod. We sure had a nice time on the water too.
Metric system yields less impressive fish.
Metric system yields less impressive fish.
Lunker of the day, for us.
Lunker of the day, for us.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Re: San V report on 11/13/23

Post by JWall »

That is the biggest bluegill of the year, maybe all time that I have seen. Nice job with the underspin!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Another view
Attachments
IMG_1511.jpeg
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Early release wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:42 pm Hello all,

Headed out to San V with John W today. Got started around 0730, because it's cold and there's no hurry when it's windy in the morning. Plugged around most of the day mixing small hardbaits (me) and softbaits (John). Not a whole lot of activity. Did pick up an impressive bluegill that nailed an underspin. However the weight at first glance was underwhelming, since it said 0.53, but it was in kg, so converting to pounds, means that little fish was about 1 pound 2 ounces. Not a bad bluegill.

We found some busters not relating to anything while we cruised around, but they weren't interested in our offerings. Water temp was about 65 degrees, wind mostly calm and clear skies for the most part. Didn't see anyone doing much, but maybe back in some of the arms there was more happening?

Did practice with a new BFS baitcasting rod and reel, and that's really nice. Hard to imagine, but that nifty little setup outcasted my spinning rod. We sure had a nice time on the water too.
thumbnail_IMG_0598.jpgIMG_1512.jpg
Which BFS Rod and reel did you get? Nice slab!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

CorsoEnthusiast wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:04 pm
Early release wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:42 pm Hello all,

thumbnail_IMG_0598.jpgIMG_1512.jpg
Which BFS Rod and reel did you get? Nice slab!
I picked up a Kistler HE701ML and paired it with the Shimano Aldebaran 22. 9 pound braid with a fluoro leader. I was throwing a little SC shad from Daiwa that I think is about 1/8 ounce and it was no problem, even into a slight wind. I'm looking forward to trying some smaller stuff, but not on the first day trying that combo.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

JWall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:29 pmAnother view
That's a fatty...wonder if it's actually a Red Ear? The busters are very finicky right now, I'm not throwing anything over 2 1/2", and you mostly have to land the bait on their heads!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Hi Mcfish,

I hadn't thought about it, but you might be right, it could be a hybrid redear with a bluegill, because those grow pretty fast and are stocky.

The busters still were a lot of fun, of course more fun if you catch them, but John and I were certainly amused by the chase.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

Mcfish wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:39 am
JWall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:29 pmAnother view
That's a fatty...wonder if it's actually a Red Ear? The busters are very finicky right now, I'm not throwing anything over 2 1/2", and you mostly have to land the bait on their heads!
;) https://thehookuptackle.com/products/wa ... 7184930983
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Early release wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:21 am I hadn't thought about it, but you might be right, it could be a hybrid redear with a bluegill, because those grow pretty fast and are stocky.
That's a very nice bluegill. A pure 'coppernose'. The redear and hybrids have speckles on the lower half of the body and face. All types are shown clearly in this San V Panfish post if you're curious. viewtopic.php?t=360 They are a very fun and abundant fish to target here in SD, if you are so inclined!

(Pure bluegill can even get over 2 lbs there viewtopic.php?t=371)
My Kayak Fishing Photos
https://LarryL.com/photos
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

blackcloud9 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:01 pm
Early release wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:21 am I hadn't thought about it, but you might be right, it could be a hybrid redear with a bluegill, because those grow pretty fast and are stocky.
That's a very nice bluegill. A pure 'coppernose'. The redear and hybrids have speckles on the lower half of the body and face. All types are shown clearly in this San V Panfish post if you're curious. viewtopic.php?t=360 They are a very fun and abundant fish to target here in SD, if you are so inclined!

(Pure bluegill can even get over 2 lbs there viewtopic.php?t=371)
Thanks for the info. I see the facial speckles you are talking about. Those are some great fish you caught. I'm usually targeting the bass when one of these bigger bluegills comes along. I was thrilled this summer to catch large bluegills on a bass size popper. I switched to a lighter rod with a small grub that day and had a great time catching bluegills. I love bass fishing, but sometimes I think bluegills are the angriest fish in freshwater.