10/24 - SD River(What the heck!)

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

10/24 - SD River(What the heck!)

Post by VinnyBass »

Thought about hitting Murray(lots of dinks chasing reaction baits)this morning for a few hours, but changed my mind. Since I have not
been to the SD river in a while, I loaded my flippin' stick and another rod(both rigged with straight braid) and headed there. I was
shocked at how high the water level was as everything around the area was flooded. Earlier this year they dumped tons of water out
of El Cap and that was the last time the water was this high. There was so much new area that the bass could hide in and the water
was pretty stained that I almost went home. Ah heck....I decided to give it a go. I worked and tied on and cut off so many different
type of baits that it is probablytime to buy some new scissors as the one I used is probably a lot duller...ha ha
After lots of flippin' and casting exercise, I was shocked as finally something slammed into my square bill. Have to get this bugger in
to avoid the skunk I thought to myself and when I landed him.... I was relieved. I stuck to the square bill for a bit and then started
flippin' a Tokyo rig with a crawfish trailer. I was just about to head out and went back over one more time to cover an area and got
my only other bite and landed another bass. Both bass were not big, but I was so happy to catch anything with the flooded conditions
that I had to deal with. Wish El Cap(the City) would somehow post something when they are going to release lots of water, but you
know that is never going to happen. Oh well.......... :-).
river crankbait.PNG
river T-rig craw.PNG
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Re: 10/24 - SD River(What the heck!)

Post by Fisheromen »

Healthy looking fish, Vinny.
Why would water be released to the ocean? Have we conserved too nuch?
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Fisheromen wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:10 pm Healthy looking fish, Vinny.
Maybe we’re going to get a lot of rain this winter and the city is preparing for it…. Yeah….that’s the reason…ha ha :-)
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:24 pm
Maybe we’re going to get a lot of rain this winter and the city is preparing for it…. Yeah….that’s the reason…ha ha :-)
Yeah that will 100% be the city’s reasoning for it lol
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Here is what I saw on the news tonight.......

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/ ... -reservoir

I could have tried free-lining a senko but it would have got lost in the current and stained water…ha ha
Big C
Pro Angler

Post by Big C »

Persistence pays off again for you. Also, I don’t get it. El Cap is only 37% full and yet they are releasing water.
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

The chance of an El Nino bringing above average rainfall is 50/50! Last year was an La Nina year and we had way above average rainfall...so are we just going to dump half of our water supply into the ocean every year? So, if the rain doesn't show this winter do we have to fill our lakes back up with expensive water from the Metropolitan Water district? San V is suppose to be our emergency water supply but it still looks to be 50' below full pool..what's up with that after a record rainfall year? How many billions of gallons of water have been dumped into the ocean this year from Hodges and El Cap because the city did such a S#&$%# job of maintaining the dams? Remember..it's easier for the City to explain their 20% water price increase if the lakes are in a drought stage! It amazes me that the people of San Diego just put up with this crap! I'm on a well..so I'm not going to fight their battles..but good luck with that...baaaaah, baaaaah! Ok..back to you Vinny...congrats!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Last time headed to Alpine I noticed the Cap had dropped enough that more high spots in the launch arm were exposed. And that happened over the course of a week so it wasn’t evaporation. I cannot fathom (pun intended) why the city would do that except for dam integrity or keeping the drought narrative alive. Sheesh!
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

If you want to read an article that probably cost a lot of money to produce and basically says look out the window and decide for yourself, check out NOAAs forecast for this winter.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/u ... rmer-north
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Mcfish wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:51 am The chance of an El Nino bringing above average rainfall is 50/50! Last year was an La Nina year and we had way above average rainfall...so are we just going to dump half of our water supply into the ocean every year? So, if the rain doesn't show this winter do we have to fill our lakes back up with expensive water from the Metropolitan Water district? San V is suppose to be our emergency water supply but it still looks to be 50' below full pool..what's up with that after a record rainfall year? How many billions of gallons of water have been dumped into the ocean this year from Hodges and El Cap because the city did such a S#&$%# job of maintaining the dams? Remember..it's easier for the City to explain their 20% water price increase if the lakes are in a drought stage! It amazes me that the people of San Diego just put up with this crap! I'm on a well..so I'm not going to fight their battles..but good luck with that...baaaaah, baaaaah! Ok..back to you Vinny...congrats!
In a word.... Yep!!
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

Nice looking fish VinnyBass;-)
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

VinnyBass wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:24 pm
San Diego need to fix their dam so it can run at capacity and serve it citizens. When something I own is not working as it should, I fix it.
Oh wait...... I don't live beyond my means, frivolously spending, waste money and over pay for items and services like the Government. Never mind they can't stop wasting money and making bad decisions, to budget for differed maintenance. What was I thinking? The are politicians so they are never wrong. I guess I am the idiot :geek:
monstahfish
Angler

Post by monstahfish »

I'm not here to defend the water authority, but I may have some insight. I live in a building that's 50+ years old and I'm unfortunately the HOA president. We've got a limited budget and our owners aren't in favor of a large dues increases so we have to be very strategic on where and when we can do big projects. I told everyone we'd resurface the patios this spring but then we had a sewer pipe fail and had to spend that money on repairs. We're also expected to carry enough in reserve to pay the full cost of the large deductible in the event of a disaster so we can't spend everything on maintenance. I expect the county has the same issues and combine 50+ year old dams designed to provide water for a much lower population with federal matching funds or grants processes that probably take way too long due to understaffing and budgets, I imagine they have to pick and choose when to hold cash and spend it.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

I’d agree if there wasn’t ridiculous financial waste, spending and mismanagement in the city and at state levels. Example; illegal immigration costs CA roughly 31 billion per year. You’d probably be able to build a “few” dams with that….
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
KillinTime
Extreme Angler

Post by KillinTime »

camobass wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:02 am I’d agree if there wasn’t ridiculous financial waste, spending and mismanagement in the city and at state levels. Example; illegal immigration costs CA roughly 31 billion per year. You’d probably be able to build a “few” dams with that….
/\ /\ /\ /\ Exactly. I am sure the City is still eating the 110% Pensions they were give out in the late 90s early 2000s. "City financial crisis reflects pension bonanzas of the late 1990s, when the California economy was booming. Retirement pay for some public employees is now so lucrative that retirees will make more than they did when they were working." Never understood how they ever thought this was sustainable? I agree in giving a good retirement, with COLA, but isn't retirement supposed to be with in everyone's means? Including the one issuing it?

We live in a dry environment, water control, conservation and distribution should be top priority. Water is Life=)

I'll shut up now :D
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

It’s really funny how they won’t construct new dams when there are all these water crisis. Also, how they say we are in severe droughts and they will drain a reservoir into the ocean.
There’s a squeeze in sweetwater river just west of the view point on the 8. Two mountains almost touching at a pinch. Perfect place for a dam. Sure would make a nice reservoir.

Too much red tape and greed. It seems “they” use water as a means to control people... hmm. I know they have been wanting to put meters on our wells out here for some time.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Jc153fishing
Pro Angler

Post by Jc153fishing »

🔥 nice bro .. good call
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

camobass wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:46 pm It’s really funny how they won’t construct new dams when there are all these water crisis. Also, how they say we are in severe droughts and they will drain a reservoir into the ocean.
There’s a squeeze in sweetwater river just west of the view point on the 8. Two mountains almost touching at a pinch. Perfect place for a dam. Sure would make a nice reservoir.

Too much red tape and greed. It seems “they” use water as a means to control people... hmm. I know they have been wanting to put meters on our wells out here for some time.
I'm still waiting for someone to step onto my property and try to install a meter..I won't be friendly..
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Mcfish wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:09 pm
camobass wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:46 pm It’s really funny how they won’t construct new dams when there are all these water crisis. Also, how they say we are in severe droughts and they will drain a reservoir into the ocean.

I'm still waiting for someone to step onto my property and try to install a meter..I won't be friendly..
Hey McFish, I have a couple of my friends that wanted to see your pond....ha ha
They are always fascinated with water. :-)
Slater
Pro Angler

Post by Slater »

El Cap authorities have been draining the lake all season this year, just dumping into the river-bed...
Has flooded many personal properties....
This was all done to keep pressure off el caps damn from my understanding.
Why would they just let the water go is beyond me......
Another thing theyre doing right now is building/ installing a new pipeline coming up the flume trail from el monte to jennings, building a pipeline all the way through santee & lakeside, to a new pump station at el monte & then jennings.....
You can see the streets are all tore-up from the el monte 7/11 "jennings rd / maple view" to el cap highschool area...

I dont want to go through the trouble to post pics here, but I did make multiple posts with pics & video on Nutes thread....

Link to nutes thread:
viewtopic.php?p=83#p83