Padres/Pitch Clock/Affecting batters?

Discussions not related to fishing.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Padres/Pitch Clock/Affecting batters?

Post by VinnyBass »

Is it just me or does anyone else think the new pitch clock where the pitcher has to throw a pitch within 15 seconds (or 20 seconds with runners on base)is throwing many of the Padre hitters off? As of late it seems that so many players are just not hitting and I wonder if you add the fact that batters have to be in the box within 8 seconds or a strike will be called and the quickness between pitches is somehow affecting some of the players?
It may sound silly, but anyone else agree or have any input as any player can have a hitting slump, but most of the team seems to be on one and just trying to figure it out.
<º)))><.. <º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><........
Biggiez
Angler

Re: Padres/Pitch Clock/Affecting batters?

Post by Biggiez »

I think it adds stress. the pitcher is on a time clock and i wonder how quickly the signs are planned out and what strategy is going to be done against each batter.

the batter already knows this and now it's comming in 15 seconds?

damn it'd suck to be them
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

All
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

All the teams are on that same clock..why are the Padre hitters worse at dealing with it?? Maybe they need to stop swinging for the fences and hit a few singles and doubles!
bajacamp
Angler

Post by bajacamp »

Hello everyone....Yeah makes you think about the new rules. My Padres hitters are in a slump right now except for Bogaerts..... but not to Worry they will come out of it. Hopefully it starts today.....
supfishingwill
Angler

Post by supfishingwill »

I think it was affecting Soto, staring down the pitcher seemed to be a big part of his routine.
Hopefully he figures it out soon and stops tanking my fantasy team!
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

I know it sounds nutty, and all teams have to deal with this.....but it just seemed weird that most of the team except for Bogaerts is in a slump.
I can see why the Red Sox fans did not want to give him up. He is a quality player and hopefully the hitting will start for the rest of the team and make the games a little more exciting.
bajacamp
Angler

Post by bajacamp »

Definitely just a matter of time before the big guys start hitting. Good hitters will adjust to the pitch clock also pitchers have to adjust to holding runners on base....It was good to see the bottom part of the line up get the job done last night.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

So sad to see another shutout tonight.
Can't wait till the Padre bats get hot and things start rolling in the right direction. There is a lot of
talented players on the team and it should be an exciting season. :-)
Stringbean
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

Love me some Padres, nice to see some new arms.
Joe is starting tonight, I think too many rule changes in one year.
Wonder how stolen base numbers will change. Is hard to keep the speedsters in check.
Put’em in the cooler!!!!
bigbassin
Angler

Post by bigbassin »

The pitch clock definitely affects batters and takes some getting used to. I'm a collegiate ball player and the same pitch clock and batters clock rules were applied to our games and it threw everyone off for a bit. It took everyone a solid 2-3 weeks to get used to it before we started hitting and pitching like ourselves again. Now, why haven't the Pads adjusted yet? It's hard to say as other teams seem to have no issues with it, but hopefully they snap out of it soon!
You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

Hope the hitting improves soon as the Padres are 23rd in the league in hitting at .235
Heck it can only go up from here. We have the talent and maybe if we played all our games in Mexico City......just kidding!
Go Padres! :-)
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

OK....forget about the pitch clock.
Even though it is early in the season, the Padres are just not hitting well and if the bats does come around, it is going to be a very long boring season. They are just terrible at driving runners in that somehow managed(walks, errors or random hit) to get on base. You can't win if you don't score runs.
Geez. :-(
IMG_5242.PNG
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

I love the new pitch clock. It makes the end of game go by so much faster
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Seems like the pitch clock is affecting pitchers who may not have been in the greatest shape. David Wells and Bartolo Colon could not survive in this day in age. I almost drafted Alek Manoah early this year for my fantasy team, and I thought he was going to have a down year because of the clock.

And as much as I like the game moving at a lot faster pace, the gamesmanship and 'chess-like nature' of the game is disappearing. No more taking some time in the box to adjust your gloves, in order to break the pitcher's pace. No more pitchers holding the ball in their mitt in the stretch to freeze the base runner at first. Or just get into the batter's dome.

It's a shame that peoples' attention spans are getting smaller and smaller and these are the methods MLB is instituting to make sure they don't lose those fans.

Pretty soon we'll have a home run derby to determine extra innings.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

The pitch clock adjustments have been made.
What I dislike are the new rules about pickoffs.
If a pitcher wants to go over there four or five or twenty times to keep a runner close, that only makes.the game more interesting IMHO.

Oh, and SIGN TIM RAINES!
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

So what's going on with Bally Sports and the TV contract?

Apparently the Padres were getting 60 million from Bally Sports to televise their games. But, the money's all gone as Bally Sports has gone under, and even though MLB is helping the Padres with additional funding for this year, that Welfare ends Nov 1.

Padres based all their big money extensions, 10, 11, 14 years, on increased TV revenue. Woops!

And since the TV contracts were back end loaded, with bigger paydays at the end than they were getting today, how on EARTH are you going to pay those contracts to Tatis, Machado, Bogaerts, etc. when the money is not going to be the same going forward?

Looks like there's even problems OFF the field.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

DarkShadow wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:16 pm So what's going on with Bally Sports and the TV contract?

Apparently the Padres were getting 60 million from Bally Sports to televise their games. But, the money's all gone as Bally Sports has gone under, and even though MLB is helping the Padres with additional funding for this year, that Welfare ends Nov 1.

Padres based all their big money extensions, 10, 11, 14 years, on increased TV revenue. Woops!

And since the TV contracts were back end loaded, with bigger paydays at the end than they were getting today, how on EARTH are you going to pay those contracts to Tatis, Machado, Bogaerts, etc. when the money is not going to be the same going forward?

Looks like there's even problems OFF the field.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This whole thing is absolutely crazy. After the Bally's crash....we found the last so many Padres games on channel 4 on Cox Cable. The listing or guide does not say Padres game and it is funny what weird shows the guide says is on but I imagine that is not going to last long. Everything is headed to pay to watch anything and looks like it will never stop. Baseball, hotdogs and apple pie is costing a lot more than it used to. So sad :-(
HookEmDanO
Pro Angler

Post by HookEmDanO »

the padres had been playing soooo bad they even lost their channel

capture.jpg
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Circling back around....
It seems like people have settled into a new pitch clock routine.
Mostly, I just watch the Condensed Games on MLB.com, where the pitch clock stuff isnt' as noticeable. But there have been a couple times when the Padres' game was featured and I could watch the whole thing.
Seems like people have adapted to the pitch clock.
But this "two disengagement" thing sucks big sweaty donkey 8alls.
Keeping a fast runner close is part of the drama.

And what the heck is up with the oven mitts? Guys are wearing mitts bigger than a hockey goalie wears on his stick hand.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....