Great fishing if you are vegan

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
old_rookie
Angler

Great fishing if you are vegan

Post by old_rookie »

Fished TP yesterday and it was weeds weeds weeds.
Every cast returned handfuls of weeds and sometimes big clumps.
Never seen it this bad, at least that I can remember. There have been days with kelp and weeds and was able to catch something, but not yesterday.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Great fishing if you are vegan

Post by Neuroshima »

Good to know. Thanks for the report.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Yum. Dried seaweed is delicious and there is no size or quantity limit. Never tried to make it myself, might be able to use my smoker to dry it out though.
old_rookie
Angler

Post by old_rookie »

Gotfish? wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:09 pm Yum. Dried seaweed is delicious and there is no size or quantity limit. Never tried to make it myself, might be able to use my smoker to dry it out though.
Way more grass/weeds than kelp.
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

Ah yes, the one great unknown before we trek out for a session. Everything else can be perfect but ruined by the salad man. Never know which beach it's going to show up. You probably ran into the junk that plagued Mission & Pacific a few weeks back. Been fairly clean since.
Flurp
Angler

Post by Flurp »

Gotfish? wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:09 pm Yum. Dried seaweed is delicious and there is no size or quantity limit. Never tried to make it myself, might be able to use my smoker to dry it out though.
This is not correct. There is a 10 lb wet daily bag limit for seaweed, and eel grass, surf grass, and surf palm are prohibited species. https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Ma ... al-Harvest

Some seaweed, like giant kelp, has decent food value for nutrients including iodine and potassium, but unless you like harvesting kelp or your time is worthless, just buy it at an Asian market. Since it has to be prepared before eating, there’s really no benefit to harvesting your own fresh kelp for food, unlike the difference from a fresh tomato off the vine vs one from the supermarket.

The huge benefit to kelp that’s often overlooked is that it makes an AMAZING fertilizer. You can compost it, dry it out and powder it, boil it, or simply put it in a bucket with water for a few weeks and then use the water as liquid fertilizer. San Diego has the perfect climate for growing just about anything, but we have very bad soil in most places. This is the solution along with green manure (growing plants that you can till into the soil to create additional biomass. Crimson clover works really well in this climate with the sandy soil that most of us have).
Perch killer
Pro Angler

Post by Perch killer »

LMAO !! :;^^: