Barrett report August 19th

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Early release
Extreme Angler

Barrett report August 19th

Post by Early release »

Hello all,

It's posted in the forum elsewhere that Barrett ( all city lakes ) are closed tomorrow and Monday. My opinion is that's a great move. I went out this morning around 0500. On the way to the lake we were all treated to a pretty impressive lightning show. It seemed to be up in the clouds and not reaching the ground, so I figured that was ok. It was, by 0515, the lightning was over. Wind was light but NNE. Light cloud cover, water temp 79.4F. Got to opening of hauser and caught a few bass and one crappie on a popper, which is the first time I caught a crappie on a popper. Pedaled over past the island in hauser, poked around and didn't find anyone. Kept going to Becky's cove and picked up a few bass. Decided to run to back of Hauser. Met Jwall and his fishing friend and we poked around at the lightly and occasionally busting fish. There was a light wind up to this point and now kind of coming from mostly west with a little north. We got a few fish between us. Then almost instantly the wind shifted around to I think almost due East, with a lot of zoom. It went from calm to white caps all over. I immediately decided it was time to leave and I can say when my kayak was parallel to the wind, I was worried about flipping. I pedaled hard to get back and quite a few of us all left at the same time. Loading up, it seemed like the wind might have calmed a little but that felt temporary and it felt like something more is coming.

So, for today, light numbers, 7 bass (5 popper, 2 Rapala), 1 crappie, 1 bluegill, 1 happy to be on land angler. Be safe out there.
Attachments
Not a big picture day.
Not a big picture day.
MaxZmus
Pro Angler

Re: Barrett report August 19th

Post by MaxZmus »

I was more interested in the weather than the fishing today so thanks for the report.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Great meeting you finally and spot on description of how fast the conditions changed! We all did good for those first hours then smart to skeedaddle!
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

Smart to get out before the storm Dave. Save it for another day.
Pond_prowler_619
Pro Angler

Post by Pond_prowler_619 »

Awesome report as always bud... was the fire still going?
Jesus saves 🙌
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

JWall wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:05 pm Great meeting you finally and spot on description of how fast the conditions changed! We all did good for those first hours then smart to skeedaddle!
Good to finally meet you too. Hopefully next time we can fish a bit more when we find the fish.
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Pond_prowler_619 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:39 pm Awesome report as always bud... was the fire still going?
Hi, when I logged in this morning Watch Duty had it at 41% contained, later this morning all evacuation notices were lifted and the fire was at 55% contained. I didn't see any smoke at all.